News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

From Lexington to Knoxville
« on: October 11, 2006, 04:48:36 PM »
Driving down on I-75 from Lexington to Knoxville, what courses are the best - with the caveat that they are close to the highway?

What are the best courses in and around Knoxville?

thanks again
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Glenn Spencer

Re:From Lexington to Knoxville
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 04:55:40 PM »
Paul,

check out lafayettegc.com for lafayette golf club. I played with a guy in Indiana that was from there and he said it was fabulous. I think it is at the bottom of the state in Kentucky. It is also ranked second in Kentucky behind Valhalla, not that that is some great sell. Knoxville? Holston is also fabulous.

Paul Richards

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 04:59:59 PM »
Glenn

Thanks for the thoughts.  I have played Holston Hills and Cherokee already.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Doug Ralston

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 06:28:31 PM »
Glen, Paul,

Lafayette is way west of Louisville. It is also not that good, Golf Digest really blew that one. Fortunately, on your way from Lex to K-Town, you have some public treats.

Two of the State 'Signature Series' are on your way. Wasioto Winds, at Pine Mountain SP; and Dale Hollow SP course. Both are great. I think Dale Hollow is one of the best you will see!

Just inside Tennessee is Woodlake, a real beauty. In the Knoxville area, I enjoyed a 'development' course called Landmark at Avalon. A little east of K-Town, River Islands gets good press.

Though a little further out of the way, I would forever recommend Dale Hollow!

Doug

PS: All mine are public, you must inquire elsewhere for private courses.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 06:34:19 PM »
Paul, hold on to your teeth on that drive for a full set are precious in those parts. There a number of very good courses in the Knoxville area includng Holston Hills. Aslo if you bring your sister on the trip please understand most people will think she is your wife.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 07:50:53 PM »
Tiger,

Thanks for clarifying something for me.  Previously, I had wondered what the deal was with Algore.  With his hard-on for the internal combustion engine, I thought that maybe he had a bad adolescent experience with one.  As Paul Harvey might say, now I know the rest of the story.

BTW, I was disappointed with Sharlimar Point.  It had come highly recommended, but perhaps years of neglect may have also affected the architecture.

Paul Richards

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 07:54:26 PM »
Tiger

Isn't this where Deliverance was filmed?????

actually, I was wondering if any of the following are along this interstate......

SPRING CREEK RANCH GC
GC OF TENNESSEE
THE TENNESSEAN GC
RICHLAND CC
BLACK CREEK GC
RIVER ISLANDS GC
BELLE MEADE CC
HERMITAGE GC(PRESIDENT'S RESERVE)
COLONIAL CC (SOUTH)
STONEHENGE GC
BEAR TRACE AT CUMBERLAND MTN.
MEMPHIS CC
FALL CREEK FALLS ST PARK GC
TPC AT SOUTHWIND
SPRINGHOUSE GC AT OPRYLAND
LEGENDS C OF TENNESSEE(STH)(ROPER'S KNOB
LEGENDS C OF TENNESSEE(NTH)
GRAYSBURG HILLS GC(KNOB/FOD)
HEATHERHURST GC(CRK/MNTN)
BRIARWOOD GC
BEAR TRACE (ROSS CREEK)
BEAR TRACE (HARRISON BAY)

RE Blanks

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 08:03:26 PM »
I really like Lexington CC.  I would try to play it.  A little further down 75 is the Winchester CC in Winchester KY.  This is a very fun old course.  I think the architect unknown but they just put in sprinklers this year.  It was very dusty and firm and you could roll it all over the place.  Get an Ale 8 in the pro shop.

Paul Payne

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 08:11:11 PM »
Paul,

what exactly is your route? You seem to have courses that range from Chattanooga to Nashville. are you going through those areas? Some of the courses you listed would be worth a stop and are easy to get to, but seem way off track from between Knoxville and lexington.

Bob Barriger

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 09:00:37 PM »
Paul, Wasioto Wind is the best bet in a Ky state park just north of the TN border. Old Silo in Mt. Sterling about 15 miles east of I-75 on I-64, but right off the interstate I thought was pretty good. Lexington CC could be tough to get on, a lot of blueblood horse money.  Idle Hour just finished a Pritchard restoration of the Donald Ross design that is really good. Idle Hour is the way to go. Kearney Hills, Pete Dye design is just off the intersection of I-75 and I-64 intersection just north of Lexington, KY. Houston Oaks, out Paris Pike about 5miles east of Lexington CC is not bad. Off your list, Black Creek is in Chattanooga east of the city, Brian Silva design, at one time GW had it as #100 on modern list. in Chattanooga, obviously Honors Course, but I would go for Lookout Mt Golf Course, 1925 Seth Raynor. Or down just south of that The Farm, in Dalton, GA, Fazio design. Give me a call if you need further info.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 09:08:44 PM »
God, how I love to watch a trip like this unfold in public.  One of my favorite pros in the country is at Canyon Ridge in Chattanooga..I'd enjoy a review from someone I know...of that is.

Paul Richards

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 09:32:57 PM »
Actually, what this is is a list of ALL of Tennessee.

I am hoping that someone can actually help me figure out WHICH of these are along I-75 from Lexington to Knoxville.

thanks

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 10:01:17 PM »
lou, Al Gore is actually from Washington DC which explains why he would not understand the humor or reality of my comments or carry his own state. Paul, when are you coming down to the better life in the deep south? It is a tall price to pay to earn your ya'll stripes, but runnng the gauntlet through snuffyland is the current tarriff for entre for a midwesterner. It seems this Tiger has not had enough pain for one season, for I am still considering coming to Knoxville for the LSU/snuffy game November 4. Bogie, aka vol motel manager when not banking or posting, is thinking of making an appearance. The rest of the treehouse is going to be on the beach near Myrtletown then.

Paul Payne

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 08:25:08 AM »
Paul,

I know of or have played most of the courses on your list and unfortunately the ones I am familiar with are all west of your route. River Islands is probably the closest being just east of Knoxville. It is a probably one of the best public courses in the Knoxville area.

There are some other good courses as you go east of Knoxville such as Laurel Valley that are nice or even a few more as you head up into Asheville (they have been discussed recently here as well.)

If you are truly looking for a course you can exit from I-75 and play, then jump right back on the freeway, there is a course just south of Lexington called The Bull. I think it is even posted on the exit sign along with the hotels and gas stations etc.

I played there once on my way past just like you. It was just opened at the time so it was a bit raw but seemed like a decent course. As I recall the front nine seemed much more interesting than the back but I honestly cannot remember why I had that impression.

Old Silo is certainly worth a little side trip but it will take you about 20 minutes off course to the east. It is the best of the three (River Islands, the Bull, old Silo).

Hope you have a successful trip.  

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 10:01:05 AM »
Tiger,

I can no longer abide your aspersions casted at the greatest state in the union.  You MUST get over blowing that 21 point first-half lead last year to a 5-6 team!

BTW, I understand they're going to convert your home state to a prison by fencing its perimeter and allowing four people to leave.

I hope to see you in a few weeks, my friend.

Paul,

I'm not sure when Greg Norman's Tennessee National is scheduled to open. http://www.tennesseenational.com/

Rocky Top.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 10:04:31 AM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

john_stiles

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 10:20:21 AM »
Tennessee National (Greg Norman) is now open, and is a short drive from Knoxville.

Steve Lang

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 10:25:34 AM »
 8)

experi...

Avalon (CLOSE ENOUGH to KxVille)
RIVER ISLANDS GC (CLOSE ENOUGH to KxVille)
STONEHENGE GC (xVille)
BEAR TRACE AT CUMBERLAND MTN. (e of xville)
FALL CREEK FALLS ST PARK GC (not close, nice condos)
HEATHERHURST GC(CRK/MNTN) (xville)

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Lou_Duran

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 11:21:05 AM »
Tiger,

Thanks again for that further clarification.  No wonder the poor man is so negative and paranoid, he doesn't have a state to call home.  On the other hand, at the next big donor party, you may wish to whisper into his ear that this is actually one of those rare win-win situations: both TN's and D.C.'s average intelligence and territorial pride are enhanced as a result of "policy wonk Al" being rejected by the former and embraced by the latter.  BTW, does TN's former Senator play golf?  Perhaps it would help him loosen up a bit.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 02:26:47 PM »
Lou, I stoped giving Al money when Tipper started covering her breasts. Bogie, Sadly we have had such dispair post meltdown to the vol motel, I had forgotten the horror of it all. Thank you for reminding me once again. I hope things work out for the move east to snuffydom.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 02:29:59 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 07:01:21 PM »
Dale Hollow is better than any public course in Cincinnati, Lexington, Knoxville or anywhere in between. It IS a little farther off the beaten path ....... but when will you ever be that near.

Play Dale Hollow!! If I cannot get you way over to Eastern KY for Eagle Ridge, Hidden Cove, and Stonecrest; at least play Dale Hollow!

Doug

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 09:59:48 PM »
Lou, I stoped giving Al money when Tipper started covering her breasts. Bogie, Sadly we have had such dispair post meltdown to the vol motel, I had forgotten the horror of it all. Thank you for reminding me once again. I hope things work out for the move east to snuffydom.

Huh??  ???

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2006, 11:54:53 PM »
Bill, I used to dance with Tipper 15 to 20 years ago. She used to forget a piece of clothing which along with a lose blouse or dress made the function and dance much better. She was sweet smart and fun.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2006, 12:57:55 AM »
Bill,

This guy Tiger gets around.  He is also buds with Carville.  Other than Tiger, I know only two people from Monroe, and he dated one of them, a former colleague of mine from my Frito-Lay days.  Talk about being well connected.  Hell, he may have even taught Clinton much of what he knows.  

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2006, 11:19:44 AM »
Lou, I know Carville but do not hang with him. He is a Tiger which speaks well of him. All us D's could learn a thing or two from Clinton. He gets it and the current D leadership obviously does not. And Clinton plays golf. I think the bigger story is a big city Chicago guy coming south to the land of beautiful women, burmuda grass and some really good golf courses. Will he one love the women, the grass and the courses or become Matt Ward and huff and puff and go back north to pout the winter away.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2006, 01:01:18 PM »
Southern women, the courses, and the grasses in that order.  Sorry, Tiger, but I am with Matt on bermuda greens.  Even the newest and finest hybrids optimally maintained do not compare with similarly cared for bent.  Are they better than common and early hybrids?  No doubt, but they are still fall short.

As to Wild Bill, an acquaintance of mine was lounging in the backyard of a house on a golf course he rented in Hilton Head Island with a few of friends when a large group of guys in golf carts came by.  He sees a large guy who looked familiar jump out and move towards them.   As the guy gets close, he sees that it is Clinton coming over to press the flesh, and, as he tells the story, proceeds to tell the ex-president that while he doesn't share his politics he will shake his hand.  Not missing a beat, Clinton exchanges niceties with all and chats for a few minutes with them like they were all longtime golf companions.  I have no idea whether Clinton bristled after he left them or had his secret service entourage refer my acquaintance to loyalists at the IRS, but the impression he made was very favorable.

BTW, I am just curious, but be careful what you wish for.  It seems to me like the "Big D" has not well in terms of election results at the national and state levels since BJC took over the party.  Of course, I am not privy to all the details and intelligence those on the professional side are.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back