News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nathaniel Amrine

Restoration vs. Renovation
« on: October 11, 2006, 07:29:12 PM »
I work at the Grand Haven Golf Club and this weekend started telling a guest about a course restoration that had just taken place and will be completed near the beginning of next spring. He said, "What's the difference between a restoration and a renovation?"

So I ask you, what is the all-time greatest renovation of a golf course? What is the all-time greatest restoration of all time? Explain your definition of both.

Greatest restoration: Bethpage Black (After reading "Open" by John Feinstein I cannot help but wonder what it looked like before and the effect it has on people now.)

Greatest renovation: Augusta National

Def: A restoration brings a golf course back to the potential that it possesses, a renovation improves percieved flaws in attempt to improve it's overall view to the public. A restoration is a one way road to success, a renovation is a double edge sword.

I'll be interested to see where this conversation goes.

-Nathaniel

"Drive, drive on down the field...men of the scarlet and gray..."
Go Bucks!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 07:29:42 PM by Nathaniel Amrine »

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Restoration vs. Renovation
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 08:45:51 PM »
Nathaniel,

I think it's an interesting question, but, I'd add another category.

Modernization.

I think ANGC fits more into that category than it does the renovation category, but, that may be a function of semantics.

The 18th hole at BPB might best be described as a renovation rather than a restoration, since the original hole was changed by the project.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back