News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

Re:The best hole in all of golf
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2006, 12:29:34 PM »
Huck

You lecturing me on "golfing soul" is like James Brown lecturing Gib on lettuce.

Keep at it, however Buckaroo, it amuses me!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2006, 12:34:41 PM »
Rich:

I am just pleased to amuse you.

But you lecturing me on "eye candy" is also like you lecturing Huntley on the greatness of a golf hole he's played countless times... but wait a second, you just did that!

In any case, as I say, to each his own.  But you have proved yourself golf soul-less many times in here.  I choose to believe it's just the contrarian in you having fun in "debate", since a man who moved lock stock and barrel to the home of golf soul simply can't be soul-less... But it remains fun to see how far you go just to keep your contrarian image.

So thanks for amusing me also - and do keep it up!

TH
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 12:36:45 PM by Tom Huckaby »

ForkaB

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2006, 12:41:15 PM »
Tom

If you are trying to say something important and have to hit the "edit" button, it's probably not important.

Rich

:)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 12:41:46 PM by Rich Goodale »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2006, 12:43:42 PM »
Tom

If you are trying to say something important and have to hit the "edit" button, it's probably not important.

Rich

Funny comment to make when you just did the same!

;D ;D

My edit was to correct a typo.  Given you LIKE those, what was yours?

TH

Gary Slatter

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2006, 12:49:27 PM »
[ Take that Martian to Prestwick, in two hours he or she (do Martians have gender?) will become a golf fanatic!

I'm inclined to agree with Doug.

I have a different proposition: a Martian has landed and you are allowed to take him to see (play?) just one hole, the idea being to show him, "this is what the game is all about."

What representative hole do you take him to?

Mark
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

ForkaB

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2006, 01:00:59 PM »
Tom

Rich

Funny comment to make when you just did the same!

;D ;D

My edit was to correct a typo.  Given you LIKE those, what was yours?

TH

Irony, Grasshopper, irony.........

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2006, 01:07:23 PM »
Indeed.  And I really don't think we're all THAT far off on this... but maybe I'm wrong.  In any case it's a fascinating topic, to me anyway... so much so that I just did a rare thing, and that is started a topic myself.  Check that out.

TH

Ted Kramer

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2006, 01:30:17 PM »
Fair points made by many regarding the impossiblity/sillyness of calling one hole "the best in golf". I was inspired by the picures that I was looking at and remembering so many great moments that I've had on #4 BPB that I must have lost my ability to be purely logical  ;D

Maybe I should have titled the thread "A hole that can be mentioned in the same breath as any other with regards to being one of the most complete tests in all of golf, providing the highest level of excitement, and presenting an impressive amount of strategy"

-Ted

archie_struthers

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2006, 01:40:44 PM »
Ted,

8) :D ;D

How about simply,  your favorite hole in golf!!!!!

Ted Kramer

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2006, 01:42:18 PM »
Looking over a bunch of pics from a website linked to the "image fanatics" post has made me sure that I consider #4 Bethpage Black to be the single greatest hole that I have ever seen or played.

#4 tests it all. Good shots are rewarded. Poor shots are punished. Strategy exists throughout the hole. There is room for the heroic . . .

WHAT?

I'm not sure what your response means.
Do you disagree with my opinions?
If so, tell me why . . .
I'd enjoy sharing a little back and forth with someone who has a different view.

-Ted
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 02:21:29 PM by Ted Kramer »

Aaron Katz

« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2006, 05:05:22 PM »
#4 at Bethpage is a pretty incredible hole.  It is certainly the only three-shotter I know of where the preferred lay up position is actually LONG of the green.  Both times I played there I hit pretty big drives for me -- about 280 or so.  One time I was on the extreme left side of the fairway. The other time I was left center.  Both times I had about 240 to the green, and I just can't imagine being able to hold a shot of that length, going uphill over a bunker to a green that is sloping away.  Long right is really the best play, and it's terribly hard to get yourself to do that because you are basically hitting to a blind landing area in that case.  Fascinating stuff.  #5 is a more "exacting" test, but also much more straightforward, notwithstanding the "pick your poison" nature of the tee shot.  

mike_malone

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2006, 08:48:38 AM »
 As I watched my tape of The Dunhill Cup from TOC the appeal of #11 as an awesome hole was revealed. Bradley Dredge was right near the lead with P. Harrington. Dredge hit his tee shot into the fronting bunker; needed to hit backwards ; and ended up with a double. Harrington made birdie.

I think a great hole cannot have unhittable penalties like water or OB or lost balls. These are things that reduce the playability of the hole.

A great hole should have that wide dispersion of scores that are caused by the mistakes of the players.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back