News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Golf in Austraila
« on: October 09, 2006, 03:11:46 PM »
I just found out a friend of my wife is moving down under. After she gets settled, she has invited us to stay with her on a visit. Does anyone know how it works in regards to the clubs down there? Can someone get on by writing a letter of intro. to the club? Anyone have any recommendations? Does Kingston Heath, RM, NSW and others live up to their reps? What's been your experience down there?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Peter_Herreid

Re:Golf in Austraila
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 03:16:48 PM »
Each of the clubs you have listed have websites which offer explicit requirements and instructions for outside play, and I would suggest you look over the "Visitor Information" or FAQ's on each site for the input you seek.

This has made it much easier for the overseas visitor to plan when and how it might be possible to visit the great clubs of the Sandbelt.

You will not likely be disappointed in any of them, but you certainly noted the ones most highly thought of, generally...

JESII

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 03:20:50 PM »
David,

Did this a year ago after my brother and his then fiance, now wife, moved back to her hometown just outside of Melbourne. We were able to play Kingston Heath, Yarra Yarra and Commonwealth. Royal Melbourne was closed to visitors at the time due to a severe problem on the greens.    {For those of you in that neighborhood, was this ever cleared up? It was a fertilizer mix-up I believe.}     We played YY and Commonwealth with member friends but arranged Kingston Heath just as you suggest, a letter of introduction followed closely by a phone call. Call them, don't wait for them to call you. I also played NSW alone after my brother set up a tee time. I got the impression that was done just the same as KH. We also played Kooringal in Williamstown.

Other than the flies (sorry boys, I always give the bad medicine first  ;) ) Golf in Melbourne is special. In mid-December the greens were spectacular and I was given the impression it was a normal year. Well worth carving out some golf time. Some of the local boys will give all the details you need, but you have not mentioned what part of Australia this trip may be to.

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 03:27:52 PM »
She is moving to Port Douglas in Queensland, which is obviously a ways from the sandbelt. Question is, exactly how long would it take to get down there? I plan on visiting Sydney and Melbourne anyway, so I'm not making a special trip. Also, has anyone played Royal Adelaide? How was it?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 04:13:43 PM »
I was fortunate to visit Royal Adelaide in December 2005, there are several very good holes including the 3rd a short par 4 with a very tight green complex and 14 where you hit over the railway line to a tight fairway which drops steeply off to the left.
My last trip to Melbourne was during our honeymoon when I left my wife in Sydney whilst I had 2 days at Royal Melbourne and Metropolitan. This proved to be a very exensive trip - not the golf, which was reciprocal, but the credit card shopping bill!! RM really does live up to the billing especially now all the greens have been relayed, do not miss the East course which is a gem. My personal favourite though is Metropolitan which is always in immaculate condition, for a club with nearly 2000 members the fairways look hardly used. The 5th a drive and short iron to a well bunkered green and the 15th a tough 467yd par 4 shine for me.
There is a course linked to an expensive hotel in Port Douglas if I recall it was A$200 for a round.
Cave Nil Vino

JLahrman

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 04:37:41 PM »
She is moving to Port Douglas in Queensland, which is obviously a ways from the sandbelt. Question is, exactly how long would it take to get down there?

It's a few hours' flight I believe.  You're not within driving distance by any stretch of the imagination.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 06:38:44 PM »
I played Royal Adelaide last week. It’s worth the trip, if you have time, but they are doing a little bit of work to prepare for the Eisenhower Cup, so a couple of greens may be out from time to time over the next few months.

All the courses, worth playing, you can organise with a letter of introduction & a phone call. Domestic flights in Australia are fairly cheap & Virgin have a 32kg luggage limit (as opposed to 20kg), so I’ve never been charged excess for my golf clubs when flying domestic.

I live in Sydney & regularly fly to other parts of Australia to play golf. You would never drive, especially considering airfares from Sydney to Melbourne can generally be found for less than $100Aus.

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 07:19:46 PM »
David - short answer is yes.  I would spend as much time as possible in Melbourne, consider Newcastle and NSW in the Sydney area and I really wish I would have gone to Adelaide but did not have the time.  There are two airlines that sell very reasonably priced flights within the country.  You will definitely want to fly from Queensland.  The country is as big as the continental US.

Here are a bunch of threads on the topic.  Phillip Gawith took a trip the same time as I did and Ed Getka is going early next year.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=21356;start=msg388095#msg388095

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=21344;start=msg386991#msg386991

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=21294;start=msg385559#msg385559

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=21189;start=msg385226#msg385226

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=21245;start=msg384496#msg384496

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=16261;start=msg283617#msg283617

Enjoy!

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 07:24:25 PM »
David - here is a link to the sites of the sandbelt clubs:

http://www.thesandbelt.com/welcome/index.mhtml

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 08:29:27 PM »
Thanks Jason. That site is great! And the threads are very helpful.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 08:48:05 PM »
There is a course linked to an expensive hotel in Port Douglas if I recall it was A$200 for a round.

Mark-
There are two courses linked to hotels in Port Douglas = Sea Temple Golf & Country Club (previously known as The Links [Port Douglas]) and The Mirage Country Club both of which are quite expensive but easily the best course in the region is Paradise Palms - just north of Cairns.

David-
It's about a 3-4 hour flight from Cairns to Sydney and an extra hour or so to Melbourne.

Yes - the reputation of the courses you mentioned is certainly deserved.

James Bennett

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 09:19:19 PM »
David

Port Douglas to Melbourne is akin to Key West to New York.  It is a long way.  The good news is that there are some cheap and (I think) direct flights available.

Also, Port Douglas is halfway between the tropic of Capricorn and the equator.  The summer (November to March) is hot and humid!.  Florida to the max, but with a six month lag.  It is the ideal stepping off point for the Great Barrier Reef, and the local rainforest area (the Daintree) is wonderful - world heritage listed I think.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 06:25:38 AM »
If you head North of Newcastle, leave your clubs behind.

If you're doing Melbourne, it's also worth heading down the peninsular to have a peak at St. Andrew's Beach.

Other good courses where access will be relatively simple are Woodlands and Victoria.  Victoria offers stay and play as well.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 11:28:37 AM »
If you head North of Newcastle, leave your clubs behind.

At least until Mike Clayton is done with the RQ redesign...
Next!

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 08:49:20 AM »
As i'm an unfortunate who lives north of newcastle, I'll be having a look at mikes stuff there this saturday.

Last viewing it looked great, but even when he's finished, it will never be worth a trip just to play it.  Mike is good, but he isn't god.    He will make it as good as it can get I'll give him that  ;)

Anthony Butler

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 12:30:42 PM »
As i'm an unfortunate who lives north of newcastle, I'll be having a look at mikes stuff there this saturday.

Last viewing it looked great, but even when he's finished, it will never be worth a trip just to play it.  Mike is good, but he isn't god.    He will make it as good as it can get I'll give him that  ;)

I hope it's good. My main reason for visiting Brisbane is my one and only direct relative + his family reside there. We have a reciprocal at RQ, and the new course will give me an excuse to get out of my brother's house  for a day or two... Next visit planned for late 2007. So Mike, if you're reading this, I hope your work will be finished by then!

Thommo, some photos of the work in progress would be nice too!!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 12:31:05 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2006, 06:02:39 AM »
Anthony,

They are opening the first four new holes in a couple of weeks and it will be finished by July or August next year - so your game is safe.

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 08:50:32 AM »
Anthony,

Send me an IM when you're in town, there is one other golf course worth playing.  I may also be a member at RQ by then, so would happily join you for a hit.

WIP shots tomorrow!

Anthony Butler

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2006, 08:59:20 AM »
Anthony,

They are opening the first four new holes in a couple of weeks and it will be finished by July or August next year - so your game is safe.

Sweet... Unfortunately, due to wife expecting a child in April next year, I won't be travelling (or playing much golf) for several months unless I also want to get divorced next year.  :-X

I am sure someone... Mike? Andrew? will be adding photos and commentary to GCA on the new RQ before that date.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 09:01:57 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back