News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Travel notes from the California coast
« on: October 22, 2006, 12:42:38 AM »
Just got back from playing some courses on my way up the coast. Rustic Canyon was great and I want to thank everyone for their recommendations in regards to the course. It's an instant favorite!  :)

Heard some interesting news on Sandpiper, which by the way, was alot of fun. Better than Torrey. Anyway, the guys at the shop there told me that the same guy that owns Rancho San Marcos, Ty (Miller or Morgan  ???) also owns Sandpiper and Montecito CC. He plans on having RTJ jr. completely redo Sandpiper into a "links" course and charge around $300 in an effort to be the "Pebble" of the south. I asked why, since there was nothing wrong with the course now. He said they want to have an authentic "links" experience for golfers. I said they don't have links land so they couldn't possibly provide that for customers and the course is fine the way it was. They didn't know what to say. This owner also plans to have Nicklaus completely redo Montecito CC. I know this course has been touched since Behr did it, but there is so few of his courses that it would be a crime if that happened. I finished the "conversation" by telling them that if he wants to change Sandpiper, he couldn't have picked a better arch to do it since his brother really screwed up Torrey, another of Bell jr.s courses, and changed a course that had nothing wrong w/ it. They looked dumbfounded by my comments and I left it alone. As always, it's always about the dollars. And as my mother always says, money doesn't talk, IT SCREAMS!

Loved what Mr. Doak did at Pasatiempo. I will post a seperate thread on that course later in regards to some questions about the course.

And I couldn't resist another go at PG. Is there a better value in golf?? So much fun. Best bang for the buck I've experienced.

As a side note, I visited Valley Club on Monday when it was closed just to look around. WOW!!! What a place! There was nobody there and it was just great to just walk around, as the sun was setting. You can definitely feel Dr. Mack. there. Fantastic clubhouse as well. Though I didn't play it, it was one of the best golf experiences of my life. Same feeling I get everytime I see Cypress Point, which I saw again on this trip. Although I've never played either of them, just to see them is a thrill. The aura of both places is so surreal.

Thanks again to everyone for the helpful info.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Evan_Green

Re:Travel notes from the California coast
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 02:31:53 AM »
I finished the "conversation" by telling them that if he wants to change Sandpiper, he couldn't have picked a better arch to do it since his brother really screwed up Torrey, another of Bell jr.s courses, and changed a course that had nothing wrong w/ it.

David - was wondering if you could please clarify/elaborate:

Given the fact that Rees Jones and RTJ II do not work together, how can RTJ II be a considered a bad choice for the job at Sandpiper based on the fact that you didn't care for Rees Jones' work at Torrey Pines? It seems kind of like blaming Ketchup because you didn't like Mustard...

Personally, I feel RTJ II has done some fine work, especially in the last few years - maybe he'll turn out a top notch course at Sandpiper.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 03:37:21 AM by Evan_Green »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 03:45:32 AM »
I think David is making the broad generalization that the apple doens't fall far from the tree.

Indeed Rees and Bobby are two different individuals, but surely they have more in common with each other than either does with Doak or Hanse.

I firmly concur with what David said regarding Sandpiper.  What a fiasco.  If it isn't linksland, how can you create a genuine links course on land like that?  I bet the "remodel" isn't any better than what they have now.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 07:57:27 AM »
He plans on having RTJ jr. completely redo Sandpiper into a "links" course and charge around $300 in an effort to be the "Pebble" of the south.

While there is a great big world out there, I cannot think of a dumber decision in my entire experience.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 11:01:29 AM »
Evan, my comment was in regards to the fact that the course isn't "broken", so why try to "fix" it. The same thing happened at Torrey and I was trying to make the Bell jr. connection w/ the gentleman there. Sandpiper should be enjoyed for what it is and not try to make it something that it's not. I like some of  RTJ jr's ORIGINAL work, but you know as well as I do if he's turned loose with the instructions to turn it into a "links" that it will probably turn out for the worse. Sandpiper is already a top notch course, why mess w/ it if it doesn't need it. I can understand if it is for logistical reasons, but just because you want to emulate Pebble to the north doesn't mean you should.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 11:21:40 AM by David Stamm »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back