News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Phil_the_Author

"Chick" Evans... Golf Architect
« on: October 05, 2006, 11:14:34 AM »
From the sometime in the late 20's to early 30's Charles "Chick" Evans began advertising his seervices as  golf course architect. The advertisements in Golf Illustrated read "Charles Evans, Jr. & Associates - Consulting Golf Engineers"

Does anyone know what courses that he designed or worked on?

Phil_the_Author

Re:"Chick" Evans... Golf Architect
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 07:04:04 PM »
No ideas anyone?

T_MacWood

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 07:21:11 PM »
Evans designed Zanesville CC in Ohio. Its a pretty good course.

I seem to recall seeing his name associated with some Illinois or Indiana clubs but I'm not sure about that.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 07:29:05 PM »
Chick Evans designed the Cutten Fields in Guelph Ontario for Authur Cutten. The routing was done by Chick and the construction was done by Stanley Thompson. Stanley eventually bought it, or should I say Stanley's friends bought it out of receivership. Some of the original greens and features are still there including the checkerboard green and a bunker complex we jokingly call the ice cube tray. The checkerboard green is two low opposite corners and two high opposite corners done at Cutten's insistence. The ice cube tray is 8 aligned rectangular bunkers used as a cross hazard. We are restoring the ice cube tray next year because the high water mark was Stanley's death and the the aerial from almost that date. I figured he hadn't altered that even after quite a few years so it should go back as he had it (he even addded two wild bunkers to flank it!).

I'm not sure I can add any great insight into his work other than to say the front nine is an excellent routing and the back always felt like it was squeezed in
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 07:31:42 PM by Ian Andrew »

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 06:21:55 AM »
Phil

Chick submitted a plan to Beverly under his design firm - we still have the routings and drawing - after Ross' work when the County decided to expand the small entrance into a 4-lane highway in about 1932-34.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back