News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nathaniel Amrine

...Name this course! (Pics)
« on: October 09, 2006, 06:34:42 PM »
Later this week I will be posting the first profile from my course and picture collection. This is a preview of things to come. Do you know where this course is? Name?

Enjoy!

Nathaniel Amrine

Re:...Name this course! (Pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 06:47:02 PM »
Here's a hint #1:

This course is a daily fee public course - the greens fee? $22. The best value in the state.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 06:57:38 PM »
Looks like a jewel in the rough if Played mid-March through mid-June.  
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Doug Wright

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 07:10:25 PM »
RTJ?
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Nathaniel Amrine

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 07:13:50 PM »
Two more guesses and I'll review clue #2. Doug, to label this a RTJ is quite the compliment.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 07:35:14 PM »
Scandinavian cobbler?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Nathaniel Amrine

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 08:40:34 PM »
Clue #2:

This course is located in Michigan. These pictures were taken this summer.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 09:04:50 PM »
I believe it's just up the street from me...

A very frugal design to boot ; ;D
Jim Thompson

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 09:07:45 PM »
Diamond Springs.

Nathaniel, I'm not familiar with the course, so what architectural merit does it have?

Nathaniel Amrine

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 05:02:57 PM »
Yes! This is Diamond Springs in Hamilton, MI - roughly 25 minutes southwest of Grand Rapids. If you have not had the opportunity to play here but would like a great golfing experience the greens fees are roughly $22.

Diamond Springs is a DeVries/Kris Shuemaker design, who also designed the well known Pilgrim's Run in Peirson, MI the less well known Mines Golf Club in Grand Rapids. DeVries also worked on Greywalls in Marquette, MI.

The fairways on this course are expansive but are lined by beautiful burnt red, orange, yellow and brown fescue/heather. One thing that strikes you immediately is the overwhelming deep blue/green color of thee fairways and their contrast with the surrounding primary colors.

In recent posts we discussed the dissapearing act of the once hated two tier green, and Diamond Springs does not dissapoint by bringing it back! This is a picture of the par 3 fifth hole, a 189 yd. gem that features a green with a nine foot second tier.

Anyone who has played this course will remember the back nine, as the finishing five holes intertwine around a deep colorful ravine. There are five forced carries, and two holes are lined by the ravines.

I reccommend this course to anyone in the area.

Jim - how's the play this fall? I haven't been down to play Angel's Crossing yet and regret not playing it while at WMU. I always got caught up in the Milham Park's of the world while on the college kid budget.

SPDB

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 05:08:59 PM »
Mike - If you're not familiar with the course, how were you able to identify it?

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 05:19:03 PM »
Doug, to label this a RTJ is quite the compliment.

Nathaniel,

Could you please expand on this statement?
"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Nathaniel Amrine

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 05:33:46 PM »
Of course. Most RTJ courses stir up a certain amount of either:

a) press and buzz
b) press and outrage

Diamond Springs has not stirred up nearly the amount of press and play that it deserves - and certainly has not gained the recognition (positive or negative) that an RTJ course would.

A RTJ course in Hamilton, MI would be more recognized - such as Diamond Springs closest competion, the Ravines in Saugatuck - a Arnie Palmer course asking nearly $100 a round for an equal level of fun.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 05:47:57 PM »
None of Mike DeVries' courses have gotten the attention and praise they deserve.  Kingsley gets love on GCA and Golfweek, but nowhere else.  

I hope Mike soon gets to do more original work outside of Michigan.  He should be on the short list of architects for any developer.

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 07:15:34 PM »
Nathaniel,

Fair enough, I may have misinterpreted your statement.
"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Nathaniel Amrine

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 07:45:46 PM »
I have had the pleasure of playing this course on three occasions and the concept of this relatively flat, beautifully routed course never ceases to amaze me. How can a course of this caliber charge so little and provide such an experience?

Not only does West Michigan feature some "Diamonds" in the rough at low prices (Milham Park, Diamond Springs, Thornapple Creek), but also some of the biggest rip-offs. The golf business is amazing!

Doug Wright

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 03:39:24 PM »
RTJ?

Nathaniel,

The reason I mentioned RTJ is the holes you depict at the
top of the thread look EXACTLY like the par 5 12th and
par 3 11th, respectively, at the Grand National Links
course on the RTJ Trail.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 03:40:53 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 06:55:21 PM »
Mike - If you're not familiar with the course, how were you able to identify it?

Sean, I confess that I looked at the file name of the photo.  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back