News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

O/T:The resurrection of Laz.......
« on: October 09, 2006, 01:50:42 PM »
.....I should say Chip Beck.

Has anyone come back like this before?

Bob

Adam Clayman

Re:O/T:The resurrection of Laz.......
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 02:00:28 PM »
Not familair with Mr. Beck's comeback. But DLIII sure deserves a shout out.

WTG "D"
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

JESII

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 02:05:04 PM »
Corey Pavin was pretty low for a time as well.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 02:43:12 PM »
Adam,

Last year hw was selling insurance in Chicago.

JES11.

No matter how low Corey got, he was still capable of breaking 80, Chip was not.

Bob

John Foley

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 02:55:35 PM »
Saw that and lets just say couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Good for him. I always liked his make up.
Kept thinking put a flag on his & Pavin's bag, send them out and they beat Taylor Vaughn & Brett Whatshisname 5&4
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 02:57:50 PM by john_foley »
Integrity in the moment of choice

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 02:57:21 PM »
Bob, back in '97 I caddied for a bigwig from Buick in the Pro Am at Torrey Pines and Beck was our pro. He was just starting his "decline" and you could tell. You would never know by his attitude. He is one of the most gracious players on tour and I've met almost all of them. Such a nice guy! He kept upbeat throughout his round and took a genuine interest in everyone in his group. I didn't know he was still playing. What's he done lately??
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

JESII

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 03:05:38 PM »
Adam,

Last year hw was selling insurance in Chicago.

JES11.

No matter how low Corey got, he was still capable of breaking 80, Chip was not.

Bob

Well, Corey won on the PGA Tour, Chip Beck merely placed well in a rain-shortened Senior Tour event. No matter how many times I hear how competitive the Seniors are, it's a whole different ball-game.

Let's say Chip fell farther and is on his way back while Corey made it back to the pinnacle after a shorter decent. Fair enough?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 03:54:44 PM »
David,

He came second in a rain shortened Champions Tour event yesterday and won $165,000.00.

It's kind of strange that of the three players that have shot 59 on the PGA Tour, Geiberger, Duval and Beck, two of them went into monumental slumps. Where is Dr. Katz to explain this to our members?

Bob

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 04:33:39 PM »
Bill,

Just about all comparisons from then until now are sad, in any of life's endeavours.

If I've said it once I'll say it again. Life is inherently unfair...get used to it.

Bob

Phil McDade

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 04:45:39 PM »
I saw much of Duval's 59 on TV, and saw very little luck involved in it. It was probably the single most impressive display over 18 holes I've ever seen (he hardly had a putt longer than 10 feet), and in some ways a more impressive round of pure ball-striking than anything Tiger has done.

I didn't see Larsen's perfect game, but he was a pretty mediocre pitcher over the course of his career. The one perfect game I did see -- Len Barker for the Indians back in the 1970s at a truly dumpy stadium -- also came from a pitcher with a pretty mediocre career. But Barker was very good that night, perfect in fact, and benefitted from very few if any outstanding defensive plays that saved his game.

In that respect, I think Larsen and Barker were both "luckier" than Duval, whose 59 was perhaps the pinnacle of someone who was playing the game at an extraordinary high level -- the only golfer, in my view, who in the past 10 years or so who played the game anywhere near Tiger's level, from the standpoint of pure shotmaking (admittedly, a faulty putter at some key times probably cost him a major or two.) Duval shows some signs of coming out of his slump; golf needs someone like him to step up to Tiger.

John Keenan

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 04:48:01 PM »
I had an opportunity to met Don Larsen while he at the paper company. It was Blake Moffett and Towne an old line SF company. Nice man and unless someone asked about the perfect game I never heard it mentioned. He went about his business

Winning a PGA event or placing in the top 10 is a big deal. Lets not so quickly dismiss his success. Kudos for overcoming the demons.

Now is their hope for IBF ?    I hope not as I enjoy him in the booth and would miss his comments.

The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back