News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan_Green

Golf Trip in March
« on: October 02, 2006, 11:06:29 PM »
Curious as to where in the USA and/or Carribbean folks would consider going for a 7-10 day long Father/Son golf trip the first or second week of March - excluding the states of CA, AZ, FL and HI (where we have already travelled to many times)?

Many Thanks
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 11:07:41 PM by Evan_Green »

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re:Golf Trip in March
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 11:14:18 PM »
Evan, Texas is into a good weather pattern by then. Austin and San Antonio are great tourist areas as well. Of course we Louisiana types can create a vacation the lad might enjoy more than you.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 11:21:48 PM »
Eva
Whats wrong with you? Southwestern Oregon........

Jesse Jones

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 11:30:32 PM »

I'd love to see that trip Tiger!!!

Evan_Green

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 11:36:28 PM »
Eva
Whats wrong with you? Southwestern Oregon........

Tommy

What makes you think I'd want to play 8 rounds at Sandpines in the rain??  ;) ;)

Brian Joines

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 12:18:32 AM »
I went to Pinehurst on a spring break with my dad and it was a great trip. The courses were in pretty good shape and there are plenty of options in and around the area.

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 12:22:39 AM »
You've eliminated all the locations with the warmest climates but I would suggest the Carolinas.  Pinehurst, Tobacco Road and a host of others in North, and Kiawah Island in the South ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

James Bennett

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 12:36:50 AM »
Evan

you could visit Melbourne.  It is in the 51st state  ::).

Seriously, if you are thinking of the Carribean (how long does that take, including plane changes and delays), Melbourne is 'only' 14 hours from San Francisco Airport.  Direct flights with Qantas and United from San Fran (and LA).  And March is the first month of autumn.  

James B
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 12:37:48 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 12:40:22 AM »
Austin is a good option. Puerto Rico has a lot of golf - I'm not sure if that's in your realm of possibility but it would be an excellent trip.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 12:44:25 AM »
Charleston, SC is a great place to go in March.  There is a lot of good golf within a 30 minute drive and it's one of the best cities in the country to hang out during the evenings.  

AndrewB

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 01:05:09 AM »
Seriously, if you are thinking of the Carribean (how long does that take, including plane changes and delays), Melbourne is 'only' 14 hours from San Francisco Airport.  Direct flights with Qantas and United from San Fran (and LA).  And March is the first month of autumn.

It's really only 14 hours?  Uh oh ... I can tell already that knowing this is going to put a big dent in my bank account and vacation day allotment in the years to come.
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Scott Coan

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 01:06:43 AM »
Flag the Carribbean and think way outside the box - head to the real 51st State, Aotearoa (New Zealand)  ;D

The weather is perfect in March, Air NZ now flys direct from San Francisco to Auckland (11 hrs), and NZ finally has some world class golf with Cape Kidnappers and Kauri Cliffs mixed in with the old standby Paraparaumu Beach.

Mix in a bit of sightseeing with a tandem bungee jump with your son and you have a trip that he'll never forget.

Plus the NZ$ is .65US$ so everything is 1/3 off !!!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 01:07:14 AM »
Eva, Your right. Bring a canoe! ;)

James Bennett

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 01:26:28 AM »
Scott Coan's suggestion about Air NZ is spot-on - I flew with them on that flight in April, a comfortable economy flight for someone who is 6 foot one inch tall.

For those who are more adventurous and want cheap flights (and no service) - jetstar is doing Australia to Hawaii for about $249 each way (Australian) as opening offers.  You get nothing, but you pay nothing.  I think they start in about march or so in 2007.  Jetstar is the no-frills version for Qantas.  So, get to Hawaii, and get ready for about a 9 hour flight of no-frills.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 06:06:06 AM »
You've eliminated all the locations with the warmest climates but I would suggest the Carolinas.  Pinehurst, Tobacco Road and a host of others in North, and Kiawah Island in the South ...

With a 10 day trip, you can also consider a side trip from Raleigh/Durham to Bermuda for 2-3 days. I would not spend an entire golf only vacation there, but Mid Ocean is certainly memorable.

David_Madison

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 06:57:20 AM »
If you are okay not planting in one spot and doing just a little bit of driving, the Georgia/South Carolina coast has a bunch of great places to play. The Sea Island area, Hilton Head, up to Kiawah and Wild Dunes, and then wrap up by coming north and inland to Pinehurst. Another area with a bunch of good courses is Reynolds Plantation, with Cuscowilla and Athens nearby.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 07:35:46 AM »
Evan,

Since I am sure access is not a problem...I would go in late March and start in Chattanooga with Honors, Lookout Mountain, Black Creek, Canyon Ridge and others...Then simply stroll down Atlanta way with Cuscowilla, Atlanta Athletic, Athens and others topping off the trip touring a practice round at Augusta on April 2nd...What a trip.

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 09:34:52 AM »
Austin is a good option. Puerto Rico has a lot of golf - I'm not sure if that's in your realm of possibility but it would be an excellent trip.
What courses in Austin are the must plays?

John_Conley

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 10:26:19 AM »
In reading the thread and wondering about the weather in places mentioned in March, it makes is clear to me that Arizona, Florida, and Palm Springs will always have their appeal.

Have you considered Ocala or Destin?  They aren't much like Florida if you are thinking of Orlando or Palm Beach County.

If you are willing to brave the weather the recommendations for South Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee are wonderful places for golf.  But you do run the risk of it being 40 degrees and that won't happen as much in Naples or Scottsdale.

Good luck wherever you may go.

David Stamm

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 11:29:47 AM »
Evan, I would agree w/ Tommy. Oregon sounds pretty good. Have you considered Nevada?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 11:33:21 AM »
In reading the thread and wondering about the weather in places mentioned in March, it makes is clear to me that Arizona, Florida, and Palm Springs will always have their appeal.

Have you considered Ocala or Destin?  They aren't much like Florida if you are thinking of Orlando or Palm Beach County.

If you are willing to brave the weather the recommendations for South Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee are wonderful places for golf.  But you do run the risk of it being 40 degrees and that won't happen as much in Naples or Scottsdale.

Good luck wherever you may go.

RB,

The Masters practice rounds start April 2nd...Always seems beautiful and above 40..

Jfaspen

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 11:57:44 AM »
i'd hit up south carolina..

you could do the stranz tour the dixie cup is taking this year + the ocean course, The Dunes, and some other good MYR/Charleston courses, eat great food and probably run into some decent (70's) weather.

jf

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2006, 12:22:43 PM »
Not to be the anti-tourism bureau for the GA-SC-NC area, which is home, but things can still be iffy during the first two weeks of March.  

We could have the 70's, but we could also have pretty rotten golf weather, with lots of rain and highs in the 40's.  By the end of the month, things are pretty good, and by April great, but the first two weeks can go either way.  I have spent many, many March afternoons as a high school golf coach in Georgia (now retired) wondering what in the heck I was doing outside.

You could get lucky, but it's no sure thing.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 02:56:07 PM »
Do not go anywhere near Augusta for golf near the Masters. The rates double and the courses are full of slow play corporate outings. Plus alot of courses are just healing up from the spring green punching.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 02:56:18 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

David_Tepper

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2006, 03:55:47 PM »
What is the weather in St. George, Utah like at that time of year? I am not sure there is enough golf to keep one entertained for a whole week, but I have heard good things about the area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back