News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Benedict

Firm and Fast in the Fall
« on: October 10, 2006, 02:24:34 PM »
It's been pretty dry lately in the Northeast and my home course (a Ross) has really firmed up nicely.  While I am less wedded to the firm and fast mantra so common to this site, I have to say that golf is more fun under these conditions, if for no other reason than the enjoyment of watching the ball roll along the ground.  It makes the short game more interesting and demanding.

This is a great time of year to play golf, isn't it?

A.G._Crockett

Re:Firm and Fast in the Fall
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 02:29:31 PM »
It is THE time of year to play golf here in the Southeast.  The greens have come back nicely after aeration and with cooler nights.  We've had relatively little rain for the last 6 weeks or so, and the courses are playing fast.  The bermuda fairways aren't dormant yet, and the supers can cut them low because heat isn't a problem any longer.  Leaves aren't off the trees yet, and it's still Daylight Savings for a few more weeks.  

Just ideal.

"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 03:34:47 PM »
We're dropping below freezing tonight in Minnesota. You want to talk about firm and fast...you guys haven't lived until you've run a ball across a frozen pond and up onto a green.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 03:54:18 PM »
Guys - NJ is having spectacular Indian summer golfing weather and I am heading out Thursday to enjoy the F&F condition described in the Tampa (Brandon) area.  Nothing beats getting past the time of year that drives kick back in the fairway or simply plug.  Is there a greater joy than fast true green surfaces?  Happy fall golfing to all!
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 03:59:23 PM »
I just got back from PEI and conditions were mixed there ... actually fairly happy considering what things can be like at this time of year. Crowbush Cove was in mid-season form, lots of run in the fairways and smooth greens. Dundarave less so; much plugging there. Nice weather all week.

Scott Witter

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 04:37:18 PM »
Phil:

Not sure what you consider the 'Northeast' to be, but here in the Northeast, upstate NY and across to NE it has been the wettest on record during late August and the month of September and early October.  I know of many projects that are stuck in the mud and have personally watched my tee shots plug in several fairways  :'(

Phil Benedict

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 04:56:55 PM »
Scott,

My course is in Waterbury, Connecticut.  It's been pretty dry here for the last month or so, which is a nice change from the spring and summer when we were deluged with rain on several occasions, which did some damage to the course.

October is unpredictable because it can be rainy, but when it's dry the golf is unsurpassed.  The greens have recovered from the summer aeration and the course can be kept dry without fear of stressing the course.  The only downside to the season is it's hard to find golf balls because of falling leaves and the angle of the sun.  The solution of course is to keep it in the fairway, which is easier said than done for some of us.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 04:57:38 PM by Phil Benedict »

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 05:04:32 PM »
is Fabulous ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 06:42:28 PM »
Phil:

If you enjoy seeing the ball bounce and roll along the ground and you think it's more fun that way then why do you say you are less wedded to firm and fast than some of the others on this website?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 07:30:21 PM »
We're dropping below freezing tonight in Minnesota. You want to talk about firm and fast...you guys haven't lived until you've run a ball across a frozen pond and up onto a green.

I suspect that almost everyone here would disagree with your assessment.

I, naturally, do not.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 06:09:50 AM »
 The only downside to the season is it's hard to find golf balls because of falling leaves and the angle of the sun.  The solution of course is to keep it in the fairway, which is easier said than done for some of us.

Phil,
 You are correct about this being the only downside. However, there is more we could do than just hit in the fairway. We could lobby against the over-use of desiduous trees on golf courses.

Or,

Move to Nebraska.

;D

I recently went on the greatest golf trip of my life. Six days, three courses, zero trees. Priceless.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 07:34:22 AM »

This is a great time of year to play golf, isn't it?

No doubt, in the NE, November is a far better month to play than both March and April and usually the first half of May.  

JESII

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 10:41:44 AM »
Does that mean all hillbillies are mentally challenged? What does that say about the 20 page college football thread going on right now considering its title? Have you weighed in on that thread yet Doc? Uh oh.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 12:45:52 PM »
Phil:

If you enjoy seeing the ball bounce and roll along the ground and you think it's more fun that way then why do you say you are less wedded to firm and fast than some of the others on this website?

1.  The visual appeal of bounce and roll doesn't come into play off the tee because I can't see my ball land.
2.  Many of my home course greens are elevated and have false fronts so bouncing the ball in on approaches is hard even under firm conditions.  I will say that the few holes where running it up to the green is a good option are fun to play and it's fun to reach these greens via the ground.
3.  Firm and fast is restrictive in the sense that it accentuates the cost of short-siding yourself or going long on a back to front sloping green.  Can create a mindset dominated by what not to do thinking on approaches to greens.
4.  My ball flight is high so I am probably biased towards the aerial game.  I am by no means a good player (mid-single digits handicap) but there are certain shots I can hit that most others can't in terms of height and distance.
5.  I prefer firm and fast like most others on this site but I try to be less dogmatic about it.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 12:33:26 AM »
Anywhere with a hard freeze that means they have to blow out the sprinklers for the winter means some great F&F conditions providing it stays dry & warm after the freeze arrives.

By a coincidence, we are having an early freeze tonight thanks to a big ass cold front that just blew through earlier today, it is supposed to drop below 30 the next few nights in a row.  So I'm looking forward to a long Indian summer lasting until Thanksgiving to enjoy some golf the way it was meant to be played!

The one hitch is that courses with a lot of trees don't cooperate because the fun of F&F conditions is equally balanced against the frustration of losing two or three balls in the leaves...
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back