News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

The Belfry
« on: October 03, 2006, 09:42:41 AM »
look, i know it's not got a great reputation but i have a w/end trip organised there with a round on all three courses... i've heard all the stories about the brabazon being a two hole course and i'm not holding out any for the derby but does the pga national have any merits?

any info on the enjoyment to be had by playing these three courses would be useful... be as frank as you like... thanks

Eric Franzen

Re:The Belfry
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 10:06:42 AM »
Played the Brabazon course twice a couple of years ago. It is a decent parkland layout with some holes that clearly stands out from the rest.
I wouldn't say that it belong on the GCA aficionado's "must play" list... but there is plenty of things to enjoy out there while playing a tight match against a bunch of friends.
You could also do worse than checking out the Ryder Cup team rooms etc. with a nice lager in your hand after the round.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 10:18:45 AM »

I also played the Brabazon course a few years back. I really like the finishing stretch and #10 is certainly an enjoyable hole. We stayed right there so it was all very convenient. I agree it's not a "must play" place IMO, but I had a great time and the staff was very friendly. -Dan
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 10:30:01 PM »
I played at the Belfy this past spring and was not expecting to like it.  I was wrong.  All of the courses were very good parkland courses and the hotel is superb.  It has a poor reputation but it is undeserved.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 01:03:29 AM »
The Brabazon certainly isn't worth it's price tag I believe around 150 quid in peak season ? and about half that in the off-season ? for a start. It has a couple of interesting holes 9/10 & 18 but lacks a short P3 (the 3 it has are around the same yardage) and is basically a flat parkland course which is spruced up for competitions.

The PGA has poor routing and is on some terrible land (including electricity towers) and has overused lateral water hazards IMO. It still has some decent holes I think 12 (P5) and the last few holes were OK. Once again the green fees were a bit steep.

The Derby layout is a beginers course with only one hole over 400m and it's a P5. Enough said.

You have to be careful with the seasons as the courses are built on clay and can get very soggy.

Despite what I've said above you can get some decent weekend deals with Devere Hotel chain including accom. / meals / golf but don't expect anything "mind blowing" there.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 03:28:00 AM »
thanks for the answers...

...it's a yearly ryder cup type outing we do with a group of 16 of us (one fourball, one greensome, one singles)... great fun but unfortunately it is not always the best opportunity to play the best courses from the tee markers that suit me as the group varies in standard and interest... therefore we tend to end up at resorts rather than searching out the must plays...

...still, i'm sure it will have its merits

thanks again

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back