News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Byrne and Essex County - clarification please
« on: September 30, 2006, 01:16:37 PM »
I'm a little confused as to who did what at Francis Byrne and Essex County CC - could someone please help me out?

Any thoughts on the courses would also be appreciated.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

George_Bahto

Re:Byrne and Essex County - clarification please
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 02:12:49 PM »
George P:

The courses are adjacent to each other.

They were originally a 36-hole complex built by Banks for the Essex County Country Club (this is a private course not a "county" course - probably where some confusion comes from). The East was designed by Raynor and Banks, Raynor died soon thereafter - Banks designed the West course and built both himself according to plans. Unfortunately, the club only let Banks put in a little over half the fairway bunkers that were planned.

During more difficult financial times Essex County CC (private) began operating the West Course (now the Byrne course) as a public-access course to help offset expenses. I played there for about 17-years.

In the 80's (or thereabouts) The Essex County CC sold off the West Course (the Byrne course) to ESSEX COUNTY, the NJ county the courses are in). ..... this was not too good a move - my opinion

The NJ County Park Comm. then changed the name to Francis Byrne (who ever he may have been)

They shortened the Byrne course in a few places and it now operates as a "county-muni"  ........  

What we called the "West Course" is an excellent golf course - at least on a par with the ECCC East course and plays across the side of First Mountain (often walking 36-holes a day there for so many years, I think one of my legs is shorter than the other - hah)

The 15th hole on the Byrne course, in its original config was a Raynor Dog-Leg with removed fairway bunkering and has always been one of the great 4's in NJ. Bobby Jones got on the wrong side (left) of the hole (trees and slope) and made a very large number during an exhibition.

Actually he wrote an article someplace giving his toughest 18 and that 15th was listed.

If anyone has seen or has a copy of this list, I would appreciate a copy.

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 02:44:06 PM »
Thanks, George, I knew you'd know the answer and be able to explain it quickly and clearly.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 03:13:00 PM »
George:

Just to piggyback on what George B. has already stated.

IMHO, the "new" Essex County CC is truly one of the five best courses in NJ. The layout is extremely strong -- especially the renowned back nine and the front has been beefed up by the involvement of George B.

I salute the club's leadership in taking the considerable existing merits of the course and going even further.

Just a few comments / re: Francis Bryne. There's little doubt that the private club has regrets in selling the property to the county. And frankly, the county has simply run the club like a factory -- with golfers steamrolling the property and little real investment / vision instituted.

Before selling the property the private (East) did take some property that is near to where the former property line existed.

The previous uphill 7th hole was impacted -- a superb hole -- and the downhill 8th was also considerably shortened.

I agree w George the merits of the former "West" were indeed considerable. If there's one thing I can salute the county in doing is in beefing up the drainage on the 16th.

In regards to the private "East" course there are few people outside say a 50-75 radius who have a clear idea on just how unique and dynamic the design is of this stellar layout. I would thoroughly recommend anyone coming to North Jersey to keep this course on your radar screen and if the opportunity arises to play it when time permits.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 03:42:33 PM »
George Pazin,

Essex County West has been a public golf course for in excess of 50 years.

Essex County West had some terrific holes, including a Biarritz from an elevated tee.  The first hole, a par 5 running along Pleasant Valley Road is probably responsible for more car window replacements than any other hole in the State.

I would imagine that lack of attention and lack of funds has probably been responsible for the eradication of a number of features over the years.

It's an intersting course to play.

George_Bahto

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 06:59:10 PM »
Patrick: I have a good one for you

The present 1st hole at Byrne has a Road hole green complex.

Yes, it is now about a 480-something or another par-5 but before the course went public the hole was played from behind the present 9th green, slight dog-leg left.  

There were originally 2 tees for the hole, one, the present small practice putting green but over to the right, in the corner of the property (as you look fm the 9th green toward the brook) there is another mound that was the back tee.

The hole played across the brook on a diagonal and then along the property line fence to the RH green.

The original tee was abandoned and the hole substantially shortened when they put the proshop in to serve the "new" public facility   y.

I know you'd like this stuff so here's more:

The original 9th tee is still in the woods not far fm the 8th green and there are trees growing out of the mound.

The original 3rd tee was in the cluster of trees between the Biarritz green and the present 3rd tee.

That dumb-ass tiny 4th green was a Tillie green that was approached from a different angle - which is why it doesn't accept a shot.  The club made Banks you a number of Tillie's greens on  both the East and the West course.

more:

The short hole on the West course (Byrne) was supposed to be a redan up on the hill near the 6th tee but someone measured wrong and he made it into a Short.

.... and, yes, there were a lot of moving cars hit of the present 1st hole drive!!!!

I've been hearing interesting rumors about the Byrne course that might prove interesting.

stay tuned
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back