News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter_Herreid

American Clubhouses--Part 3--Final Set (w/ answers)
« on: September 27, 2006, 09:57:16 PM »
All right then, here are the final 13--there are clubhouses that others have posted, some of these are from different angles than expected, or of slightly lesser quality, but some may be of interest to one or more of you...

#1--Repeat; this one looks huge, but felt very intimate to me..Liked the "turrets" and the shape of the mountains behind

#2--The less commonly photographed angle

#3--Again, this side seems much less "spaceship" and soulless to me..

#5--Repeat; hard to beat this one for dramatic effect!

#6--Old picture, excuse the quality, but I've always loved the textural differences in this one..

#7--Repeat; best stone-work?

#9--just ever so slightly out-of-focus

#11--again old camera, so not the greatest shot, but...

#12--May rival the Bandon courses for the most people milling around on a 1st tee..

...and finally..For #13, this is the way most visitors would first see this club, yet not the most obvious angle...

« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 11:05:08 AM by Peter_Herreid »

James Bennett

Re:American Clubhouses--Part 3--Final Set
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 10:00:35 PM »
I would like to see #4 once every 4 years! Very 'athletic'

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 11:24:00 PM »
#13 is my favorite course in the western portion of my home state...nice bookend to my favorite club in America.

I found this last set a bit easier knowing 1,2,5,7,8,and 13.

SPDB

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 11:36:31 PM »
Like Wayne, I found this set a lot easier. I don't know #s 6 or 11, but recognize the rest.  

Can you believe that in the original set Redanman thought Plainfield was #9?

Is #3 the only shot where you can see the course logo in the picture?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 11:36:49 PM by SPDB »

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 11:40:00 PM »
Ahhhh. I mulched around the bushes on that last one. They since re-did the roof.

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 11:45:32 PM »
SPDB--

Sharp eyes can find the logo in #13, as well!

Ryan, #13 is from 8 days ago...

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 11:50:31 PM »
No. 6 is clearly Bandon.

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 11:54:39 PM »
Is # 13 Oakmont??
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mike Benham

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 12:18:01 AM »
I would like to see #4 once every 4 years! Very 'athletic'

James B

It's amazing that tree(s) can not only ruin a golf course, but ruin a picture of a golf course clubhouse.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Benham

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 12:20:18 AM »

Is #3 the only shot where you can see the course logo in the picture?

Nope, you can see it in #4 also ...

David Stamm

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 12:22:26 AM »
#3 is Pinehurst.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Buck Wolter

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 12:34:13 AM »
Isn't #11 actually the pro shop?
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 12:35:22 AM »
#10 is the 18th green at Piping Rock if I remember correctly...
#11 is the par 3 9th green at Crystal Downs with the pro shop behind the green.  

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 01:06:55 AM »
Technically yes, that is the indeed the pro shop/locker room/sandwich area/card game tables location and patio building of Crystal Downs, but hardly anyone ever regularly uses the formal dining room clubhouse area anyway--unless it's Fish Fry Night!

The astute Mr. Murratt has indeed nailed #10 as Piping Rock...

Brad Swanson

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 01:23:39 AM »
Peter,
   Thanks very much for all of these great pics.  You have the makings of a potentially interesting coffee table book. ;)

Cheers,
Brad

Robert_Ball

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 01:25:51 AM »
#2 is from the 1st fairway looking back up at the tee, eh?  Where 16 year old Eldrick hit his first shot in a pro event.

Is that Interlachen in #8?

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 01:36:22 AM »
It's murder trying to get the real story of the name of this club in #8...

According to some here, one of AWT's less-inspiring designs spreads out below this clubhouse...

James Bennett

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 01:57:02 AM »
Are there any archictectural links between the clubhouses at #2 (RCC I assume) and #4 (O).  Or is it just the Californian influence?

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mike Benham

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 02:09:39 AM »
Are there any archictectural links between the clubhouses at #2 (RCC I assume) and #4 (O).  Or is it just the Californian influence?

James B

Not the California influence but more from the Spanish / Mexican immigrants.

"Unlike other states, there are no architectural remains in California of construction that might have taken place prior to European colonization. The traditional architectural practices of both the Spanish, and later Mexican, immigrants were easily adopted in Alta California because of the moderate climate and abundance of the familiar adobe material. Adobe refers not only to the mud building material, but also the structure that was created with it. Adobe was the prevalent material used in the Bay Area through the gold-rush period, and there were no wooden-frame buildings in San Francisco until the 1830s. The building program of the Spanish colonialists began in 1769, with the establishment of the first mission (San Diego de Acalá) of what was to become a chain of 21 missions along the California coast."

"Mission Revival, popular all over the country after its introduction in 1893 at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, was particularly attractive to Californians looking for a simpler regional architecture. Romantic ideals of the Spanish-Mexican colonial period were prevalent, if not unfounded, and most every California town erected a red-tile, white stucco Mission Revival building often with neo-Moorish towers and round arches. Instead of adhering to early-19th century colonial California examples, the style was based more on Mediterranean traditions, as exemplified in the elaborate Villa Montalvo or the Hayes Mansion. These architectural motifs experienced renewed popularity throughout California, and the entire country, from the late 1910s through the 1930s as the Spanish Colonial Revival."

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 02:46:11 AM »
SPDB--

Sharp eyes can find the logo in #13, as well!

Ryan, #13 is from 8 days ago...

I thought for sure that was an older photo. I know some of the roofing was replaced but that looks pretty bad in your picture.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 08:37:08 AM »
#2 is from the 1st fairway looking back up at the tee, eh?  Where 16 year old Eldrick hit his first shot in a pro event.

Is that Interlachen in #8?

Robert;

Same Tudor style; most photos I've seen of this clubhouse are from the other angle.  Course isn't *ahem* Open anymore.  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

SPDB

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2006, 09:04:05 AM »
Technically yes, that is the indeed the pro shop/locker room/sandwich area/card game tables location and patio building of Crystal Downs, but hardly anyone ever regularly uses the formal dining room clubhouse area anyway--unless it's Fish Fry Night!

The astute Mr. Murratt has indeed nailed #10 as Piping Rock...

Somewhere in my files I have a picture of the tree to the right of 18 green that was felled by a freak LI tornado last summer. You can't see the tree in the picture but you get a sense of its size by the shadow it is casting over the green.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 09:08:42 AM »
Isn't #12 the back of Piping Rock, whereas #10 is the front door?  No, I guess not, because the putting green would extend more across the patio, but it's similar in style.

The actual clubhouse at Crystal Downs is a beautiful building, one of the nicest clubhouses I've been in, but very small.

I'm offended you didn't include a picture of my fine double wide trailer with patio at Pacific Dunes!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 09:09:59 AM by Tom_Doak »

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 09:10:31 AM »
Isn't #12 the back of Piping Rock, whereas #10 is the front door?

The actual clubhouse at Crystal Downs is a beautiful building, one of the nicest clubhouses I've been in, but very small.

I'm offended you didn't include a picture of my fine double wide trailer with patio at Pacific Dunes!

Tom-

I thought 12 was Oakland Hills

#9's got me stumped with that one hill off in the distance...is this a Travis course?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 09:14:55 AM by Douglas R. Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

JR Potts

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 09:27:49 AM »
That would be a great coffee table book.  I would buy it.

GCA should publish it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back