News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Around the green
« on: September 29, 2006, 05:46:39 AM »
Comparing play from off the green at the K-Club and The Grove, I was struck by how many players used the putter from off the green at The Grove, even from depressions several feet below the level of the putting surface.  At the K-Club, undoubtedly because of the wet weather, everyone was chipping.  At neither course has a greenside bunker presented any sort of challenge to the professionals (with a very few exceptions).  Are these courses just too easy around the greens?

Tommy Williamsen

Re:Around the green
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 01:05:49 PM »
Mark I was wondering the same thing.  I have played the K-Club but not the Grove.  I wonder if the lack of interesting greens complexes at the K-Club is not a function of the overuse of water.  I remember a remark Palmer made when asked why he didn't use more bunkers.  "I have never heard a player say, 'Boy did I have fun playing out of all those bunkers.'" I wonder how many players come in and say, "Boy did I have fun hitting into all that water."?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 01:25:13 PM »
Tom, Good to hear from you.  What the pundits on Sky were saying today about the Grove is that it has big greens because it has to accommodate 40,000 rounds a year and that the moundwork, bunkers etc are therefore out of play for the professionals.  63 yesterday, 64 today for Tiger.  59 tomorrow, or will he save that for the last round when he is already 10 shots ahead just to rub it in?

Mike Policano

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 02:08:14 PM »
Mark,

How's it going?  40,000 rounds at The Grove?  Is this likely?.  Great little resort and the course is fun, but 40,000 rounds sounds high.

The greens are large and the bunkers are not particularly numerous or problematic.  I was just looking at my card from my first round there and I didn't hit a bunker until 11 (2 in the tourney) and didn't hit another the rest of the day.  

There are very generous chipping areas.  A welcome relief from the steady diet of thick rough just off the green.

ciao

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 02:09:56 PM »
Mike,  I don't know if it's true about 40,000 rounds, but if they said it on TV it must be true....mustn't it?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back