News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

I'm Selling Out
« on: September 25, 2006, 02:24:30 PM »
I'm amazed how some (sometimes all of us--I point a finger at even myself) on this website will go to great lengths to be less then courteous when posting.

Today, we lost a part of our original foundation. Not that this person had a financial interest in Golf Club Atlas, but he was the one that kept many of us together when we found ourselves without a home back in 1997, early 1998. I'll never forget the phone call.

"We can do this, it's really simple, you've got this site called Bravenet and they offer a free to use discussion group..." Five minutes later I was amazed as he commenced to enter his credit card number and push the enter key on his keyboard to reserve the name, www.traditionalgolf.com. That friend was Mike Golden.

We were without a home up to that point, at sea without a ship--us golf course architecture enthusiasts. But Mike was different, Mike didn't know about golf architecture all that much and had not a problem admitting it. The one thing he did love Bethpage's Black Course. The conversations of that course took him in and he showed his gratitude by helping us get a home after Golfweb more or less ejected us for greener pastures. The internet was a brave new, but brutal world back then. It seems like it's gotten more brutal. Sometimes just downright ugly.

When Ran started Golf Club Atlas, it made much more sense to get it all going here, bringing our cast of misfits and architecture junkies from one club to the next--otherwise I feel most of us would have lost contact somehow, someway. That didn't happen because of Mike Golden which made it even harder to accept today when he emailed me telling me he deleted his GCA account.

So when simple disagreements that tend to become all-out wars, I tend to think we trip over ourselves. Such is the case of which I speak. I worship both parties involved, but can't  partake in the nastiness. However I completely respect the great times you both have shared with me. I feel by not taking a side that both will view me as selling out. It's only golf course architecture but it just makes me want to scream.

That's why I'm selling out.

Since I think the decorum is not so hot and because this reminds me the most of how Golfweb sold us out to CBS Sportsline, I'm posting a listing of some--just some of my favorite products that I suggest you all try or use. They make really great products or provide really great services, although one of them might even be cancer causing, so don't hold me responsible.

Another proves that I give a crap about what goes on at this website and the others have contributed to me being able to contribute to the content of this website; as well as get me to the places I need to get to that help me further contribute to this website.

Hopefully someone from one of the companies I've listed will appreciate it and send a check of any amount to:

Mr. Ran Morrissett
GolfClubAtlas.com
P.O. Box 2566
Southern Pines, NC 28388
United States of America

Thanks for this commercial interruption, you can now go back to killing one another, both spiritually and intellectually. Your all too smart for me. (or for your own good)

Dave_Miller

Re:I'm Selling Out
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 03:10:27 PM »
I'm amazed how some (sometimes all of us--I point a finger at even myself) on this website will go to great lengths to be less then courteous when posting.

Today, we lost a part of our original foundation. Not that this person had a financial interest in Golf Club Atlas, but he was the one that kept many of us together when we found ourselves without a home back in 1997, early 1998. I'll never forget the phone call.

"We can do this, it's really simple, you've got this site called Bravenet and they offer a free to use discussion group..." Five minutes later I was amazed as he commenced to enter his credit card number and push the enter key on his keyboard to reserve the name, www.traditionalgolf.com. That friend was Mike Golden.

We were without a home up to that point, at sea without a ship--us golf course architecture enthusiasts. But Mike was different, Mike didn't know about golf architecture all that much and had not a problem admitting it. The one thing he did love Bethpage's Black Course. The conversations of that course took him in and he showed his gratitude by helping us get a home after Golfweb more or less ejected us for greener pastures. The internet was a brave new, but brutal world back then. It seems like it's gotten more brutal. Sometimes just downright ugly.

When Ran started Golf Club Atlas, it made much more sense to get it all going here, bringing our cast of misfits and architecture junkies from one club to the next--otherwise I feel most of us would have lost contact somehow, someway. That didn't happen because of Mike Golden which made it even harder to accept today when he emailed me telling me he deleted his GCA account.

So when simple disagreements that tend to become all-out wars, I tend to think we trip over ourselves. Such is the case of which I speak. I worship both parties involved, but can't  partake in the nastiness. However I completely respect the great times you both have shared with me. I feel by not taking a side that both will view me as selling out. It's only golf course architecture but it just makes me want to scream.

That's why I'm selling out.

Since I think the decorum is not so hot and because this reminds me the most of how Golfweb sold us out to CBS Sportsline, I'm posting a listing of some--just some of my favorite products that I suggest you all try or use. They make really great products or provide really great services, although one of them might even be cancer causing, so don't hold me responsible.

Another proves that I give a crap about what goes on at this website and the others have contributed to me being able to contribute to the content of this website; as well as get me to the places I need to get to that help me further contribute to this website.

Hopefully someone from one of the companies I've listed will appreciate it and send a check of any amount to:

Mr. Ran Morrissett
GolfClubAtlas.com
P.O. Box 2566
Southern Pines, NC 28388
United States of America

Thanks for this commercial interruption, you can now go back to killing one another, both spiritually and intellectually. Your all too smart for me. (or for your own good)

Tommy:
You're not a sellout.  You are just respnding with passion for which we all enjoy you're participation.  One of the things I have always like about GCA is the "passion of teh Emperor".  Do not lose that.
Best
Dave

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 04:02:35 PM »
I own a Camero and I fly Jet Blue and type this on my HP Pavilion.

I also agree with Tommy that we really ought to concentrate on the rule of "Dont say anything over the Net you would not say to the person if you were sitting next to them over dinner at the club."

A great NYC judge named Jed Rakoff said in the MP3.com case "The Internet and email lend themselves to too casual, glib and instant a tone at times."  As one of the band managers I rep lamented once over a message that got back to his ex-girlfriend "Email'll kill ya!"

Its really simple.  When anyone is sitting there alone in the dark in your skivvies surrounded by empty Pringles cans, THINK BEFORE YOU HIT SEND.  These are human beings on the other end of the line, not mere bits and bytes.

We are among the finest gentlemen you'd ever want to meet in person...there is NO reason wy it can't be the same on line.  None at all.

John_Conley

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 05:29:22 PM »

Today, we lost a part of our original foundation. Not that this person had a financial interest in Golf Club Atlas, but he was the one that kept many of us together when we found ourselves without a home back in 1997, early 1998....

That friend was Mike Golden.

Did I miss something?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 05:34:39 PM »
John,

You can find the delete button at the bottom of your profile page...In case you missed it that is.  note:  It wasn't my fault this time as Mike and I have been getting along swimingly..

I don't believe I have ever said anything in this forum that I would not say to a posters face...Those are funny rules in my book..at least for those who post under their own names.

John_Conley

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 05:42:28 PM »
I don't believe I have ever said anything in this forum that I would not say to a posters face...Those are funny rules in my book..at least for those who post under their own names.

Interesting.  Are you aware dozens of people say you behave differently in person?  I'm just as argumentative live as I am in cyberspace; doesn't seem like a funny 'rule' to me.

I'm sorry Mike felt compelled to do that.  I think he's in Orlando now and we had discussed a golf game this fall.  Barn, I'm glad you had nothing to do with it... this time.

Dan King doesn't come around as much and I think that's a big loss.  Today I see a thread started by John McMillan.  I think he's the economist that has provided plenty of wonderful insight in the past.  Good to see him back.  Hopefully Mike Golden comes back to contribute.  I'll miss him and Tommy obviously will too.

Tim Copeland

Man
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 07:37:06 PM »
I picked a helluva day to join..........
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

paul cowley

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 08:38:43 PM »
...Hey, I'll sell out too....but what are you willing to pay me?

I just hit 1500 posts ....thats got to be worth something!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 08:40:33 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

John_Conley

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 11:09:45 PM »
Golden is silenced?

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 01:03:13 AM »
Emperor,

Worry not - even Goodale returned. I even remember - years ago - you once vowing to quit GCA forever because some knave had the temerity to compliment Fizz's bunkers at Merion or some equally inexcusable faux pas.

Golden just needs to cool off for a day or so and remember why he loves the banter and repartee of this Treehouse.

If he does not come back, it simply means he's a sniveling, feminized, overly sensitive twat who needs who needs a tampon stuck in every orifice.

Was it Barnyf who offended him? . . . . Small town Indiana tends to encourage depression and Schizophrenia, so I'd be inclined to give him a pass.

If it was anybody else, they just need to work it out on the golf course like real men. Last time I saw Golden was KP(?) at Rustic. We halved the nine-hole match with blood on eight holes as I remember.

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 07:14:11 PM »
"Golden just needs to cool off for a day or so and remember why he loves the banter and repartee of this Treehouse.
If he does not come back, it simply means he's a sniveling, feminized, overly sensitive twat who needs who needs a tampon stuck in every orifice."

Gib, what the hell is going on here? That just might be about the most sanitized puff-ball remark you've ever lobbed onto GOLFCLUBATLAS.com. Just like you used to do, just say it like it is, for Christ's Sakes, will you?

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 07:27:50 PM »
My interactions with Mike go back to those Golfweb days though I only met him for the first time years later.  

We shared a love for Bethpage Black.

While not a prolific poster here on GCA he ALWAYS had well thought out, thoughtful and insightful views to share.  I hope he will be back.

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 08:04:39 PM »
The fact that Mike loved Bethpage Black speaks volumes to me. I love the place, too, always have, from the moment I stepped on the first tee around 1990 and got my ass kicked.

>>Mike didn't know about golf architecture all that much and had not a problem admitting it. The one thing he did love Bethpage's Black Course.<<

The fact that Mike loved the Black means that he DOES know a lot about GCA.

No doubt about it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back