News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Goldman

Fighting Illini Invitational Report
« on: September 25, 2006, 09:48:40 PM »
Folks,

We had the Fighting Illini Invitational Sunday and Monday at Olympia Fields, and it was a blast.  It was just great to watch great golfers playing, though they hit the ball way too far.  The kids played a practice round Saturday, 36 holes Sunday and 18 Monday.  We had a terrific field, with No. 1 Oklahoma state leading the way, with #1 Pablo Martin and NCAA Champ Jonathon Moore, along with #2 Georgia Tech and #4 Arizona State, and a bunch of other top players.  Illini Coach Mike Smalls was a terrific host and great to work with, and given that he's playing in a lot of tour events and the occasional major, his assistand David Pezzino did a great job too.

The individual winner was Niklas Lemke from Arizona State, who shot 1 over for the 54 holes.  Andrew Long from Duke was second at +2, and Pablo Martin, UofI's Patrick Nagle and 2 others were 3 over.   Team winner was Duke, at +24.  Stanford was second at +30, and Purdue third at +31.

We continued our very rainy end-of-season (more than 14 inches since August), with a big pour on Saturday night, and the course was very, very soft.  Because of that, tees were moved up, and the course played just a little more than 7000 yards.  

Though the greens were very soft, they were also pretty fast, and there were a lot of short putts missed.  I went out and played a few holes after the event, and was amazed at the combination of soft-but-fast; it was hit and stick on the greens all the way for these guys, but the putting was another matter.  Martin 3-putted from about 10 feet on 16, costing him first place, and Nagle did the same.  They weren't the only one to miss a bunch of little ones.

The fact that the course played so well is a strong tribute to our new Director of Grounds, Sam MacKenzie, who is just finishing his first year.  It's pretty common knowledge that  we had a tough year last year, basically losing 2 greens and other problems, and it has been a joy all year to see the North Course being the North Course again, even with all the rain.  All kudos to Sam (sorry for swiping him Ted, but not that sorry).  When the super at Crooked Stick moved on, I locked Sam in the maintenance building until they hired someone else.

Finally, major kudos also to the staff and participating members of the club, who went above and beyond the call putting this event on.  We really try to do things first class, and they worked like hell to make sure it was a great event.  Looking forward to 2007, and, especially 2008 where with any luck, these kids will be playing the revamped South Course.

Jeff Goldman
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 09:52:11 PM by Jeff Goldman »
That was one hellacious beaver.

Bryce Mueller

Re:Fighting Illini Invitational Report
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 10:21:08 AM »
as a member of the duke team, i thought i could add a little...

unfortunately for me, adam long and i tied in our last qualifier and adam won the tiebreaker to go to chicago based on our last qualifier before that. at the time, i thought coach made a bad decision because adam is only a freshman and playing your first tournament at a place like olympia fields against a strong field seemed like a lot to handle. I guess i was wrong. My team loved the golf course, and thought the tournament was ran to perfection. They kept talking about how much the wind affects that golf course and as it came up late in the day yesterday, they said that 16, 17, and 18 were absolutely brutal. Adam said that he thought the course was really hard, but he and the team knew that next year it would probably be even harder if the greens and fairways had any firmness to them due to less rain. Thanks to all the olympia fields membership for allowing the tournament to held at such a great golf course, it was a great treat for everybody who got to play...

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 11:06:04 AM »
Having seen in person the preparations and details in place for the event, I want to congratulate Jeff G., Terry L. and all the Olympia Fields contingent for what must have been a terrific event.  Hard to believe the course was in such great shape, considering all the rain and moisture that had to be absorbed in the days before and night of the event.

Also good to see that the old alma mater did well, finishing second in a very tough field.

Big thumbs up, Jeff!

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 11:31:27 AM »
Jeff -

I should have given you advanced warning to look out for all the Bay Area kids heading your way for the weekend.

Great to see Patrick Nagle back in good form (he won the Pacific Coast Amateur in August at the O Club), hopefully his wrist is healed completely while the Stanford Cardinal has 3 local kids, two freshman, Jordon Cox and Joseph Bramlett, and sophomore Daniel Kim.

Cheers,

Mike
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Eric Franzen

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 11:38:52 AM »
Thanks for the report.

Great to hear that Niklas Lemke went all the way. He will represent Sweden in the world amateur team championships in South Africa later this year. Followed him during a club match at Lemke's home course Linkoping a couple of years ago, but his game wasn't really that sharp then due to a back injury. This certainly proves that he is back on track again.

Dan Moore

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 11:58:20 AM »
Jeff,  

Congrats.  Couldn't make it this year but hopefully I can check it out next year.  

Has Dr. Smyers set a date to start operating on the south?   I'm really forward to seeing it when its finished.  Some great holes out there too.  

Dan
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

SL_Solow

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 12:13:32 PM »
I visited yesterday.  The club ran everything in a first rate manner; a number of the coaches commented that their teams were treated like tour pros.  The course was indeed in great condition particularly given all the rain.  The Chicago District Golf Association took care of course set up and officiating.  The play was quite impressive.  As for Pat Nagle's injury; reliable sources say there is nothing structural and that by next spring he will be 100%.  He is maturing into a tremendous player and is a very nice young man.

A final note; the pace of play, particularly (I am told) on the first day, was excruciatingly slow.  The NCAA ought to get involved.  Round of more than 5 hours for twosomes?  Olympia Fields North is a pretty easy walk.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 12:30:04 PM »
Bryce,

Thanks for the report from the players.  We basically turned the event into a big 3-day party, and all had a great time scoring, marshaling, and, especially, eating, and wanted you guys to enjoy yourselves too (to the extent possible in a tourney).  I think we may have gone overboard a bit with all the food, but what the hell.  Cooked jumbo NY steaks, chicken and fish (not a big seller) on the grill Saturday night for the teams and everyone, Prime Rib Sunday, and tenderloin Monday for the trophy presentations.  The only issue was the "no booze" rule, so members had to sneak into George Lang's private stock in his locker, and pretend it was ginger ale.  ;D ;D  Next year you should try to stay in the clubhouse.  Illinois and Purdue did that Sunday this year, and could roll out of bed onto the tee.

Best story I heard was when a buddy picked up one team Friday at Midway, and asked if they wanted to get some dinner, they  said, "Gibson's steakhouse!" a renowned steak and pick-up place.  My buddy told them that "all they would see there are 40-45 year-old divorcees" and the reply came back "yes!!!"  Hilarious.  

Watching the kids play was an education in modern golf.  The wind did come up late on Monday which made things interesting, and though there wasn't much rough on the course it did look like you didn't want to get on the wrong side of the hole.  After messing up 16 and 17, Pablo Martin hit one of the best shots I've ever seen on 18, a low screamer that hit and stopped maybe 3 feet from the hole on 18 for a birdie to end the day.  Nagle would have been right there but for landing in a divot on his 16th hole (no. 7 since he teed off on 10), and three putting for double (along with another 3-putt on 8 I think).

Shelly is right, and I should have noted the outstanding work by the CDGA folks, who blanketed the course to make sure it ran right.  He is also right about the pace of play.  Wow.  Walking-rain-delay 2-somes, going off the first and 10th tees.  The first groups finished in something like 4:20 and it got worse from there.

Dan,

Preliminary work on the South course will start this winter, and will get going in earnest after the member-guest in July of 07.  We want to get started as early as possible to give every chance to finish early and be ready to re-open in Spring of 08.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 12:34:27 PM by Jeff Goldman »
That was one hellacious beaver.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back