News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Blasberg

Re:Currahee vs. Cuscowilla
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 09:49:34 PM »
btw, i was on Currahee's website and if one has to earnestly ask whether to play there or Cuscowilla . . . where they play won't make a difference.  
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 09:52:33 PM by Jason Blasberg »

Brad Swanson

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 10:18:32 PM »
brad

what are the shortcomings of 11?  and what wants luster on the back ?  

cheers,

jason

Hi Jason,
   10 minutes with a chainsaw on #11 would make it a world-beater short par 3 .  I still like it alot, but a "lakeline" green out on that little peninsula would expose the hole that much more to the wind and instill more fear (not a bad thing considering its merely a wedge or 9 iron).
   I really didn't like the 14th and maybe it is biasing the rest of my view of the neighboring holes.  15 is a solid hole, but the finish is not very memorable IMHO.
   Trust me, I'd give my left nut to play Cuscowilla on a regular basis like yourself, but can't put it in the same league as Sand Hills.  Dixie Cup I was a total blast (except when I nearly choked to death at the buffet dinner :P) and if there was another gatherina at Cuscowilla with a similar deal, I might come out of semi-retirement to have another looksee.

Cheers,
Brad

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2006, 12:46:26 PM »
brad

what are the shortcomings of 11?  and what wants luster on the back ?  

cheers,

jason

Hi Jason,
   10 minutes with a chainsaw on #11 would make it a world-beater short par 3 .  I still like it alot, but a "lakeline" green out on that little peninsula would expose the hole that much more to the wind and instill more fear (not a bad thing considering its merely a wedge or 9 iron).
   I really didn't like the 14th and maybe it is biasing the rest of my view of the neighboring holes.  15 is a solid hole, but the finish is not very memorable IMHO.

Dixie Cup I was a total blast (except when I nearly choked to death at the buffet dinner :P) and if there was another gatherina at Cuscowilla with a similar deal, I might come out of semi-retirement to have another looksee.

Cheers,
Brad

Brad:

I agree with you on the bushes behind 11.  I actually think they are more an impediment visually behind 10 green.  

The issue on the lake line is that GA Power owns everythin within 10-15 feet of the lake line so you can't clear on that property without their approval.  

One good storm however . . .  ;)

14 is a devisive hole . . . the second there is by far the most uncomfortable shot on the course as the ideal second shot is a high cut off of a hook lie.  The hole's movement however is wonderful and even at well over 600 yards I have had less than 30 yards to the green with 2 well executed shots.  

The layup on 14 makes you think like view other 5 pars I know.  Next time you play it remember that over the ridge there's tons of room left even though you can't see it.  

Of course like most holes at Cusco the wider part of the fairway is the more difficult approach angle.

Cheers,

Jason

P.S. IMO, 18 is a wonderful par 4.5 match play finisher.  
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 12:47:10 PM by Jason Blasberg »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 05:22:25 PM »

Having played Cuscowilla but once I came away disappointed.  The opening nine was stellar and the inward nine inexplicably forgettable.  Maybe that's why Cuscowilla provokes so much for and against.  It's almost like two different courses.

Gary, I'm surprised to hear you say the back nine is "inexplicably forgettable."

#11 is a wonderful short par 3 with a very complex green for its small size, hanging into the lake, and #12 is certainly a very good short par 4 with many options.  #13 requires a big tee shot to have any chance to make par, so is very different from its predecessors.  #14 might be the hardest par 5 I've ever played, only one par that I can recall.  The cross bunkers are perfectly located.  #15 is another good par 4 requiring a strong drive and accurate iron to that crowned green.  #16 has a wild green for a mid length par 3, #17 is a good, solid dogleg par 4, and #18 is a hole that really has a demanding tee shot requirement, with a hard draw the preferred shot.

I'm not that excited by #10 although the cape tee shot has to be carefully planned and executed.

I don't really have a preference of nines, but #5 is probably the most fun hole out there.

I'm a big Cuscowilla fan although I too wish the greens were Tifdwarf with those contours.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 08:01:10 PM »
Go under Lifestlyes and there is a link with a pic to each hole....

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Gary Daughters

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2006, 09:29:46 PM »
Bill,

Here's an interesting take on #18.  Yes, it looks like a draw, but my caddie insisted that I play a fade over the trees on the left, and lo and behold he was right.  You don't really notice but the elevation of the tee makes the carry less daunting than it seems.

But here's my take on the back nine.  And please keep in mind I have played the course but once and would gladly play again.

#10:  a lesser take on the stellar #4.  Just not that much to it.

#11:  in my opinion were it not at Cuscowilla it could be at the par-3 course where i'm teaching my 6-yr. old to play.  to me it's just.. nothing.  a wedge and and a putt.  granted i played to a front pin placement.  

much of the rest i just forget.  it just doesn't seem to warrant a space in my memory.  the par-5 is interesting, but not all that pleasureable.  i do hold out the possibility that repeated play would reveal it to be a better hole than the one i remember.

after that?  again, nothing memorable.  #18 is a challenging finish, and maybe a bit much so for me.

again, i thought the front nine at Cuscowilla was very strong, but to me the back nine fizzled out.

Gary

« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 09:33:15 PM by Gary Daughters »
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2006, 09:59:36 PM »
I can't say anything about Currahee, but I too really like Cuscowilla.  I can think of few golf courses on which I would like to play match play.  5, 8, and 12 are splendid 3.5-pars (par 4, 3, 4).  I do, however, belive that #11 would be greatly improved aesthetically with some trimming.  To me, #14 is extremely awkward the first time around.  I feel that the proper play becomes apparent later on.

Of all the holes, #13 is my pick for most underrated.  A bunkerless hole (and I love the look of the bunkers at Cuscowilla), the contours provide ample challenge as it is a nice, meaty par 4.

Having looked at Currahee's website, the golf course seems pretty unfriendly to the walking set.  Cuscowilla is fairly walkable.  Cuscowilla's features are also far more subtle, and it is nearly 1000 yards shorter than Currahee, which tells me there is a lot more intrigue to be found at Cuscowilla.

Finally, when I played it this past June, the golf course was in great shape.  Pretty firm for a clay-based course, and the greens were quite quick.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2006, 10:00:07 PM »
I live in a town across the lake from Currahee....is it worth a look the next time I am home??(I build courses and am on the road a bunch)

Tim,

Across the lake where?  On the SC side?
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2006, 10:07:17 PM »
And by the way the 17th is a very impressive hole.  The story I heard is that JF was walking the site and came across the quarry and waterfall area that had not previously been incorporated into the course and he fell in love with it for a dramatic par3 hole.  They then relooked at the routing to use more of that section of the property.

Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

John_Cullum

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2006, 08:07:09 AM »
Having looked at Currahee's website, the golf course seems pretty unfriendly to the walking set.

Walking Currahee would be an all day affair, and there are no nearby hospitals.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

John_Cullum

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2006, 08:09:47 AM »

Of all the holes, #13 is my pick for most underrated.  A bunkerless hole (and I love the look of the bunkers at Cuscowilla), the contours provide ample challenge as it is a nice, meaty par 4.

Contours? It's the flattest hole on the course.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back