News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Strantz: Fazio courses he played a major role in
« on: October 01, 2006, 09:46:37 AM »
I heard that Mike Strantz played a major role in Wade Hampton.

Does anyone know the other courses that Strantz had a major hand in when he worked for Tom Fazio?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Strantz: Fazio courses he played a major role in
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 10:03:40 AM »
 from www.mikestrantzdesign.com

Under the tutelage of Tom Fazio, Mike Strantz helped create many famous Fazio courses:  Wild Dunes, Wachesaw, Golden Eagle, Wade Hampton, Osprey Point, Lake Nona, Black Diamond...

From:www.myrtlebeachgolf.com/departments/coursereviews/caledonia-architect.htm
Mike Strantz is a native of Toledo, Ohio, and the controversial designer caught Fazio's eye while working on a redesign of the Inverness Country Club prior to the 1979 U.S. Open. Fazio was hired to modify parts of the course, and was impressed with Strantz's knowledge of course design and his ideas of how to make Inverness a better course.

Just like that, Strantz was swept off to Fazio's latest project in Hilton Head, Moss Creek Plantation. He later served as an on-site designer and shaper for Fazio's Links and Harbor courses at Wild Dunes near Charleston and served that same function at eleven additional Fazio courses, including Kiawah Island Osprey Point and Florida's Black Diamond Ranch over the next eight years.

"Tom did some extensive work on the course for the Open, and he saw that I had a knack for the work," said Strantz. "I just kind of fell in with him. He hired me and the day after the Open, I was on a plane to Hilton Head."

In 1987, Mike left Fazio's company to serve as on-site supervisor for the reconstruction of Wild Dunes - a job made more extensive by 1989's Hurricane Hugo - and for the construction of Dunes West in nearby Mt. Pleasant, where Mike currently resides.

"Working with a premiere designer like Tom, you get moved around quite a bit," notes Strantz. "I wanted to be able to dedicate myself to some key projects and working with Tom had given me the experience to do so successfully."
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back