News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Mulle

Question for Superintendents
« on: September 30, 2006, 11:38:31 AM »
My home course has been making a real effort in the last few years to create firm and fast conditions.  For a number of reasons it is a difficult site to pull it off (drainage, thatch etc.)
After reading the interview with Dave Wilbur and the account of the crew at Oakmont, I'm anxious to learn more about my course is doing.

My first concern is might be perceived by the super as second-guessing.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I think he is doing a great job and I know that I have no idea what I am talking about when it comes to turf management.  I'm just anxious to learn a little bit.

My second concern is that he is a busy guy and may not want to have to explain such basic matters to a member (I'm not on the greens committee).

I'd be interested in hearing from the superintendents on here whether I'd be out of line to ask him about the maintenance practices.

Thanks

Tom Jefferson

Re:Question for Superintendents
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 11:49:30 AM »
David;

In my opinion you would definitely not be out of line.  Based on my long experience and little knowledge, I think most superintendents want to and would welcome opportunities to communicate with members, one on one or in groups, their maintenance practices, challenges, outlooks.

My sense is that the pitfall lies in a lay member thinking and acting as if he/she knows more about the world of agronomy, arboriculture, soil science, architecture...all the on the ground realities of this great and difficult profession, than the super knows.  

Tom
the pres

Peter Galea

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 11:51:08 AM »
Ask him, I'll bet he'd be happy to explain the program to you.
And probably be thankful you were interested.
"chief sherpa"

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 01:28:39 PM »
David,
   I'm sure he would be happy to talk to you. I have talked to many superintendents around the country and I don't even belong to a club. I think most supers are happy to discuss their profession. Most that I have met take great pride in their work.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ed_getka

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 01:31:27 PM »
While we have this thread up I will add another question. I was at a course this week that had some fairways that were being reseeded. When I inquired why, I was told that poa had taken over big patches and had to be eradicated because it's roots don't hold the soil well and on sloping areas it would just slide off in wet weather when pressure was applied. Is this true about Poa?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 01:46:08 PM »
David,

This time of year most of us in the business are happy to answer questions from people who really do care what we think and want to listen.  Just don't ask a super a question that starts with "Just what were you thinking..." this time of a year as that is a good recipe for getting a shovel upside the head from a tired super. ;)  So ask away, be nice, and a bunch of info will gladly be given.  If you say thank you, you'll be able to ask anything anytime in the future as well.

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 02:03:53 PM »
Ed Getka;

Yes, it is true...........Poa Annua is a shallow rooted plant, & on steep slopes with heavy soils and saturated conditions, those shallow roots will not hold the turf in place as golfers and/or equipment moves across the slope.  So, introducing another grass variety should help that condition.  
the pres

Bill Brightly

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 03:18:56 PM »
I'm sure the Super will be happy to answer your question.

Just a thought: Maybe you should tell the Grounds Chair that you'd like to serve on the committee if there is an opening. You will learn SO much at the montly meetings, where the Super will discuss all aspects of operations.  

Tim Copeland

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 03:35:41 PM »
When I was a supt. I appreciated the questions from guys that truly wanted to learn.  What I resented was the comments that a certain practice had worked in their yard...therefore I should try it.

Maybe suggest to the guy that you read an interview somewhere and you thought he might like to see it.  If he agrees then print it out and give it to him.  Follow up and then you two can have a conversation about the points in the interview
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

Dave_Wilber

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 01:19:23 AM »
Definitely ask...but pick your time and day carefully. I always ask members when the last time they had lunch off peroperty with their supt.

The other thing is to make sure that you and He/She set some disclosure guidelines. Meaning that he won't want to see your paraphrase of his words posted here. And he can promise not to share your degree of knowledge or lack thereof with club officials if that's what you would want.

I can tell you guys that the last thing any supt. wants to see is his or her agronomy philosophy debated here so please drink responsibly with their words!

---------
Dave Wilber
Wilber Consulting--Coaching, Writing Broadcasting, Agronomy
davewilber@yahoo.com
twitter: @turfgrasszealot
instagram @turfgrasszeal
"No one goes to play the great courses we talk about here because they do a nice bowl of soup. Soup helps, but you can’t putt in it." --Wilber

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 02:50:17 AM »
David;

Since you admit you don't know much about agronomy my suggestion is to talk to your super about playability, and as specifically as you can, and then let him tell you how agronomy and maintenance practices relate to your discussion on playability.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 02:53:14 AM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back