News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nathaniel Amrine

The NEXT BIG Thing
« on: September 27, 2006, 08:26:16 PM »
In regards to golf course architecture, what sites are being looked at as the next BIG thing? Certainly over the last decade we've seen a transition from expansive hardwood sites that contain huge landing zones and lush conditions, to the "coastal links" courses like Bandon and Arcadia, to the "coastal link" courses without the coast (i.e. Sand Hills, Dismal).

When the sand belt through the plains is saturated with courses will we see more courses with the dramatics of Banff?

Any inside info as to the secret direction of course architecture?

Bob Jenkins

Re:The NEXT BIG Thing
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 11:55:55 PM »
Nathaniel,

Looking at the comments on this website it is probably old hat but to the golfing world at large, it is "minimalism", ie the Tom Doak approach, among others.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 12:10:41 AM »
Nathaniel:

In my opinon there can be good and even great golf (and architecture) without the "dramatics" that so many unfortunately seem to think is necessary.

I think that my be the NEXT BIG thing.

You know something, dramatics is just skin deep---when most anyone plays a golf course more than a couple of times they tend to forget about the "dramatics" and concentrate on the the matter of golf at hand.  :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 12:14:15 AM by TEPaul »

Tim Copeland

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 08:06:29 AM »
In regards to golf course architecture, what sites are being looked at as the next BIG thing? Certainly over the last decade we've seen a transition from expansive hardwood sites that contain huge landing zones and lush conditions, to the "coastal links" courses like Bandon and Arcadia, to the "coastal link" courses without the coast (i.e. Sand Hills, Dismal).

When the sand belt through the plains is saturated with courses will we see more courses with the dramatics of Banff?

Any inside info as to the secret direction of course architecture?

Not until you give me the next BIG stock tip
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

Dave Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 08:20:19 AM »
Is the next BIG thing  a return to Firm and Fast conditions?  We moved in terms of hazards from a focus on water, to more aggressive bunkering.  Greens complexity has also started to become more prominent.  Firm and Fast requires different thoughts when playing, and may also help to stem the tide of bomb and gouge.  Will more designers move from just calling designs minimalist to designing for F&F?  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back