News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Golf in Iran
« on: September 28, 2006, 08:31:57 PM »

Golf Courses Coming to Iran
The Associated Press reports that a $2.2 billion golf resort is underway in Kish, Iran. The Flower of The East is backed by an Iranian businessman based in Germany, and German and Swiss investors.
In addition to 27 holes for the Kish resort, golf is making further inroads in the Islamic Republic. Two new courses are also under construction on Kish, a coral island just off Iran's Persian Gulf coast. These will be the first golf courses built in Iran in more than 30 years.
The game has never been a hot item in the nation formerly known as Persia. Even during the days of the democratic-leaning shah, there was only a single 18-hole course in Tehran: the Imperial Country Club. After the 1979 Islamic revolution, golf was demonized as a product of the West. Imperial Country Club went quickly downhill, with five holes taken over by the Revolutionary Guards.
The backers of The Flower of The East believe their project will attract golfers as well as buyers of upscale homes. Kish, with its white-sand beaches, is visited by 1.1 million tourists a year, so it is a popular vacation spot.

Here's the rest of the story:

www.cybergolf.com/news/golfnews4422.asp
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

cary lichtenstein

Re:Golf in Iran
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 08:46:00 PM »
They got to be kidding
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 09:53:19 PM »
I think it makes alot of sense. There is a huge amount of wealth and weathy people in Iran now as well as many of the central Asian countries. I am not even going to talk about the fortunes being made off us in that part of the world.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 11:30:53 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 09:55:57 PM »
Just the oil Cary consumes traveling the world to golf should finance the land aquisition.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 11:59:46 PM »
A French firm will handle the final details, since Iranians have no experience designing golf courses...

Finally, Doak beaten to the punch... by the French, no less! How did Haliburton miss this construction contract?  ;) ;D 8)

Iran's laws mean the resort will lack two things: integrated bathing and liquor. ..."Can you imagine going to the bar and you can't get a whiskey?"  "When the laws change we simply remove the walls and men and women can mingle," he remarked.

All this immediately following the the the forced destruction of their nuke program, and the 1000 year Israeli-Iranian war. ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 12:42:11 PM »
The Dubai based GCA is Peter Harradine, a Swiss born GCA. Don't know many details about it.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 01:27:25 PM »
Definitely never traveling to the middle east to play golf
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 01:31:23 PM »
Couldn't you have exported Medinah there?

rgkeller

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 07:05:55 PM »
I feel obligated to report that I finished second in the last Iran Open.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back