News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Walston

Bend Golf
« on: September 27, 2006, 03:50:07 PM »
I am headed to Bend for a fall retreat and was trying to figure out where to play.  I have decided on the new Juniper Golf Club and am asking my pro to put in a call for me to Pronghorn.  Does anyone know how restrictive they are with their guest policy?  If that falls through, does anyone have any suggestions other than Sunriver?

Peter_Herreid

Re:Bend Golf
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 03:53:40 PM »
Hello there!

Every place is a bit different, and it may make a difference which club is making the call, but...

on at least one occasion this summer, Pronghorn was declining reciprocal play from a fairly prominent area club, and the stated reason was that they would re-evaluate once the second course was open.

These issues may no longer apply, so you should just go through normal channels and find out!

Cliff Walston

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 03:57:42 PM »
Thanks.  I appreciate the insight.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 04:04:56 PM »
I posted Juniper GC pictures a while ago, definately worth the visit.

Sounds like you are already working an angle RE: Pronghorn.  Sounds like you know about Crosswater, Sunriver, etc....

Moving forward.......in the public realm you have to put Aspen Lakes at the top of the list, it's in Sisters.  It's a pretty neat place, red sand bunkers!!!

Eagle Crest Ridge course has some fun golf but probably about a 5 on the Doak scale.  Lots of houses around.

Awbrey Glen is private, Broken Top is private, Bend CC is private.  Play any of them if given the chance.  Have your pro drop a call to Broken Top while he's taking the time to call Pronghorn.

Widgi Creek is okay.  River's Edge is tight, narrow and on a hillside.  A poster here use to be greenskeeper there. I don't think it is anything worth travelling a great distance for.  I've heard okay things about Quail Run, Lost Tracks and Crooked River Ranch.

Oh, Black Butte.  Almost forgot.  I played Glaze Meadow.  It's also about a 4 or 5 on the Doak scale.  I have not played Big Meadow but it appears to be the better of the two tracts.  Robert Muir Graves did a big time reno. on the place, lots of new bunkers.  

Of course, the real boondoggle coming up will be DM Kidd's Cascade Highlands, Doak's Wicked Pony and C & C's Trilogy Club.  You have a Jacobsen/Hardy course near Prineville, too, Brasada Ranch.  I'm not sure if it is open for play yet or what the policy is regarding public play.

Hope this helps.......have fun.  Bend is an awesome place and growing ever larger.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Cliff Walston

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 04:07:26 PM »
Michael, that was exactly what I was looking for.  My wife and I really enjoy Bend.  If we could figure out a way to live there full time, we would join the masses.  Many thanks again.

Garry Cox

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 04:27:16 PM »
I would try Lost Tracks just south of town on the way to Sunriver.  It is a public course owned and designed by Brian Whitcomb, current president of the PGA of America.  Fun track, nicely maintained and tight in spots.

I agree with Mike that Broken Top is a good course but not Weikopf's best work but worth playing if you can get on.  Aspen Lakes is a very nice daily fee course worth the short drive up to Sisters.

I left River's Edge with a better feeling than Mike.  It is a good test with some very interesting holes on the front side.  Tight, quirky and fun.

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 04:36:01 PM »
Pronghorn now allows reciprocal play on the Nicklaus course now that the Fazio course has opened.  

My personal order of preference on the privates is:  Pronghorn (Nicklaus), Crosswater, Broken Top Club, Awbrey Glen, Bend CC.

On the public side, my order of preference would be Sunriver (Woodlands), Aspen Lakes, Sunriver (Meadows), Eagle Crest (Ridge), Lost Tracks, Black Butte (Big Meadow), Eagle Crest (Resort), Quail Run, Widgi Creek, River's Edge, Black Butte (Glaze Meadow), Crooked River Ranch.  I haven't played the new Juniper GC yet, but I'd assume it'd be in the better half of the public list.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 04:37:04 PM by Mike_Erdmann »

Sean Leary

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 04:59:45 PM »
Has anybody played the Fazio course yet? Any reports?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 05:51:13 PM »
I road the Fazio course this summer, looked excellent including 1 very unique looking par 3.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 08:17:40 PM »
Tokatee isn't Bend, but it's not that far away.  I'm not sure what the weather is like right now, but it's a fine course.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 08:32:32 PM »
Tokatee isn't Bend, but it's not that far away.  I'm not sure what the weather is like right now, but it's a fine course.

Dan, I agree 100%.  After a pretty weak opener, it's all good stuff.  Love the goal posts on #5 and those beautiful holes in the meadow.  The chain saw work on #6, 7 and I guess #8 was pretty good too!

Why doesn't somebody carve out a bunker right in the middle of the first fairway so you'd have to think about that tee ball?

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 09:38:41 PM »
If anywhere in the country has better summer/fall weather than Bend I'd like to hear about it. Bend is truly beautiful and it is one of the best areas I've ever seen for growing quality golf turf.

Unfortunately, the golf, as a whole, doesn't quite, yet, measure up. Pronghorn is phenomenal but very private. C & C, Doak, and Kidd are building courses in the area and the golf is sure to get a lot better.

I always liked Black Butte, the setting is better than the golf, but the setting is damn good.

I found Broken Top to be overrated…by a bunch. Same deal with Crosswater, beautiful mountain meadows with the big and little Deshutes Rivers running through the property. It’s gorgeous, but the mounds…oh the containment mounds…what could have been.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back