News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

As school starts...
« on: September 07, 2006, 11:42:20 PM »
...there will, for me, be a lot less posting and a lot more reading to do.

I have read many golf architecture books, however I would still like to continue reading architecture books that will help me learn.  I figure I can read a book a day and there will still be a lot more books for me to read.

So, my question for people on this site, would be for some suggestions on good reads that will help me learn?

Some topics I would like to get to and read. Any suggestions for books on these topics would be appreciated...
- Golf Course Maintenance
- Greens
- Bunkers
- Older courses (how the game started, like courses in Scotland..)
- Basic GCA

I have made a decision to step up the reading, and start asking more questions about what I read and what I observe on courses I play.  I feel this is the best way for me to learn.  

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions!

Garland Bayley

Re:As school starts...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 11:57:47 PM »
I haven't read it, but I am intrigued by Forrest's book on hazards. Others here have recommended it.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 12:06:48 AM »
Jordan:

I love to read.  Here are some suggestions for you to consider.  Many have been written by participants on this site.  Also - look at the Interview with Daniel Wexler for more ideas on reading material:

Grounds for Golf - Geoff Shackelford

Anatomy of a Golf Course - Tom Doak

Dream Golf - Goodwin (describes the building of Bandon Dunes)

World Atlas of Golf - Later editions are edited by Mark Rowlinson - (great drawings of courses around the world and the history associated with them)

Golf Architecture - A Worlwide Perspective Vol. 1, 2 and 3 - edited by Paul Daley with contributions from many you will recognize.  (Start with Volume 1 - it is the best of the group)

Links Golf - Paul Daley (the pictures are black and white and the text pretty thorough but it is a great read to understand Links courses and the influences on them)

Following Through - Herbert Warren Wind

Read some Bernard Darwin - there is a big compilation of his writings with a brown cover that I cannot recall the title of.

Gleanings from the Wayside - Tillinghast

Scotland's Gift - How America Discovered Golf - CB Macdonald

Golf as it was Meant to be Played - Brad Klein on Donald Ross

If you want a textbook on building golf courses, Micheal Hurzdan has a book with as much detail as you would ever want to read.

Finally - if you have not, you should read the following non architecture golf books:

A Good Walk Spoiled - John Feinstein

Golf in the Kingdom -  Mystical book that is a great read

A Golfer's Education - Darren Kilfara - a memior about a college student spending a year at St. Andrews

Fairways and Greens - Dan Jenkins

Two Years in St. Andrews - George Peper

peter_p

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 01:24:47 AM »
Jordan,
If you need a vacation you and your dad should join us for the reverse Old Course. Books are only so good. If you want to borrow some of mine in Portland, head on down. I have a lot of their suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 02:06:13 AM by Peter Pittock »

ChasLawler

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 09:06:37 AM »
Jordan,
I'd recommend you ask your English Literature teacher for some suggestions. There's a lot more to life than golf course architecture.

Phil McDade

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 09:58:01 AM »
...and there's more to life than English literature.

Jordan -- maybe not in the wheelhouse of golf architecture, but three recommendations that are good reads about golf to pass the time in between your studies:

Blue Fairways by Charles Slack -- A book by a guy who took three months to travel from Maine to Florida, playing a bunch of courses. A trip we all probably dream about at some time; Slack had the wherewithall to pull it off.

My Usual Game by David Owen -- the funniest book about golf I've read; Owen is a very funny writer and he has humorous insights into golf lessons and country club culture, among others.

James Finegan's books on his travels to England, Scotland and Ireland (he has three) -- Finegan, well known by the GCA Philly contingent, writes in a gentlemanly, almost old-fashioned manner, but has very good insights (and a few strong opinions) into dozens and dozens of courses -- some well known, others less so.

Good luck with your studies!

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 07:06:32 PM »
Jordon,

The list Jason Topp offered looks to be a fantastic list in response to your question.  I would like to add three books missing from his list.

Golfer-At-Large, by Charles Price

The American Golfer, edited by Charles Price

The Complete Golfer, edited by Herbert Warren Wind.

Golfer-At-Large, is currently available online at Alibris
http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?qwork=2653888&wtopic=golf&wauth=price%2C%20charles&ptit=Golfer%2Dat%2Dlarge%20%3A%20new%20slants%20on%20an%20ancient%20game&pauth=Price%2C%20Charles&pisbn=&pqty=15&pqtynew=0&pbest=2%2E95&matches=15&qsort=r&cm_re=works*listing*title

The other two are available at Classic Of Golf
http://shop.classicsofgolf.com/servlet/StoreFront

When I was your age, caddying in High School in the early 1980s, Charles Price had a monthly column in Golf Digest (as did Peter Dobereiner, and all of his books are worth reading).  His columns really introduced the history of golf and the great courses to a kid growing up middle class in the suburbs of St. Louis, without an internet.  Golfer-At-Large is a collection of about 2 dozen of his articles and essays.  A new golf fanatic will love the stories Price has to tell and you will learn a lot about golf.

For those you want to expand your interests beyond golf (which I highly agree with), when you get tired of your assigned reading, but want something with some depth, just read anything by J.D. Salinger (Nine Short Stories is the best of his work), Truman Capote (In Cold Blood), anything Gore Vidal writes about history, Ken Kesey, early stuff by Hunter S. Thompson, and John Updike's short stories.

Remember when you are reading for your own pleasure, do not keep reading a book when it becomes a chore, just because it is something you "ought to have read".  Put it down for a few months then try it again.  If this does not work, put it down again and wait a few years.  If it never becomes interesting give it up.  Besides, you will never be able read all you "ought to have read", and there are always courses to be played.

Good luck on you school year.
(I am off to the library myself on this Friday night.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 07:08:43 PM by Bill Shamleffer »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 08:10:20 PM »
Pick up a copy of "Rough Meditations" by Brad Klein.

Tim Bert

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 12:13:43 AM »
My suggestion would be to mix in one non-golf book for every golf book for a little culture...

Here are a few suggestions:

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Incarnations of Immortality (7 book series) by Piers Anthony

Jordan Wall

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 01:47:27 AM »
Lately I have been reading a lot of Geoff Shackleford books, which I really enjoy.
For my non-golf books I stay with my favorite author, Jules Verne, and then whatever we get in AP..

Thanks for all your suggestions and any more would be greatly appreciated
 :)

Oh, yes, are there any suggestions on books about maintaining, and running a golf golf course?

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 01:43:00 PM »
I'm surprised no one's mentioned it yet, but for a mixture of Shackelford and good fiction nothing beats: The Good Doctor Returns!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back