News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Did anyone watch the ladies today?
« on: November 19, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »
Was it a good tournament?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Brock Peyer

Re:Did anyone watch the ladies today?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 06:43:41 PM »
I was flipping channels and stopped on it long enough to see a waterfall, I cringed and kept surfing.  I do like that format once a year.  Maybe they should have played an eightsome.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 07:15:27 PM »
I think they played 4 twosomes today. 2 foursomes might have been more interesting. Granada was the winner at -4. This was her first LPGA win. She's 20 years old from Paraguay. Here's a list of her accomplishments in 2004 that should be noted by the Wie camp:

US Girls Champion, Julieta Granada.
• AJGA Player of Year, Julieta Granada.
• South American Junior Team Championship (Individual title), Julieta Granada.
• AJGA Rolex Girls Junior Championship, Julieta Granada.
• US Girls Junior Championship, Julieta Granada.
• World Amateur Team Championship (Individual title), Julieta Granada.
• Orange Bowl International JR. Championships, Julieta Granada.
• AJGA Richmond Junior Classic, Julieta Granada.
• AJGA Fieldstone Junior Classic, Julieta Granada.
• AJGA Rolex Player of the year, Julieta Granada.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 07:28:38 PM »
And, Granada's mother was her caddy and there were no rules violations. ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

John_Conley

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 08:39:39 PM »
Good for her.  When I saw Michelle Wie in the US Open qualifier three years ago she was paired with Creamer and we had to walk past Granada.  The girl comes up to my hip and looked very young.  She's obviously very good.  Congratulations.  Not many golf courses in Paraguay.

Walter Bart

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 11:03:39 PM »
 Saw her at  Newport this year.  She is tiny.
 Anyone know about her average driving distance?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 11:58:03 PM »
Granada's avg driving distance is 243.4y(about 97th on the list) according to LPGA.com but it's not how you drive, it's how you arrive.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 04:31:13 AM »
I wanted to watch it, but I woke up a little after 10:00, made some breakfast, turned on the TV, and...it was already over.

"Caroline" Bivens just looks out of place. The whole award ceremony was very awkward including the TV host having to duck under the giant winners check to get back in the camera shot, and the giant trophy obscuring the face of the sponsor presenting the million dollars prize.

rboyce

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 07:44:11 AM »
watched about an hour of it. really like the way the ladies play. wish i could play half that well. the winner was very impressive. she even went at flags that were near the water. Gulbis was playing well too. i'm suprised she hasn't won yet.

one thing that made me snicker was when the commentator (i think it was Pepper) made a par three sound more treacherous than it was. "This hole has water to the left, the front, and the water even wraps around behind the hole - it's 155 to carry the water" I just laughed...155 yards?! How hard is that for a pro?

Granted, the commentators for the men's game do the same overly dramatic build up to fairly routine shots.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 08:44:01 AM »
Two of the LPGA's top players hit it in the water on that hole- Ochoa to the right and Webb to the left...

I actually liked the rock wall behind that green- the 17th. Does anybody know if it is real?

While I don't agree with a lot of what Michelle Wie is doing, These women better get what they can get now, before Wie comes out full time....

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 09:21:44 AM »
Here's a good story about Granada. Her father is a super at one the six golf courses in Paraguay. She was at Leadbetter Academy for 5 years:

www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2006/11/20/m1a_Stoda_1120.html

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 11:00:00 AM »
I watch the ladies every day.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back