News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jg7236

Re:Mecca of Golf
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2006, 12:08:17 PM »
Thanks a lot David...

David Sneddon

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2006, 07:18:25 PM »
Thanks a lot David...

Don't thank me yet!!!

I'm afraid I can't find them!!  We moved into a new house 6 months ago, and I'm afraid to say some stuff is still in boxes.  I've looked through all the obvious ones, but no luck as yet.

Hopefully someone will have their Old and New cards at hand to help you out.  I do remember the slope was 128, compared to Dornoch's 138.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Chris Kane

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2006, 08:47:34 PM »
The scorecards don't have the slope/course rating info in them, but if you ask nicely John, I might be kind enough to wander down to the starter's huts on the Old and New tomorrow and find out for you!

jg7236

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2006, 09:09:41 PM »
I thought the score cards had this info, but you are right, they don't.

Chris, if you have time tomorrow that would be fantastic.

Thank you so much!

John

David Sneddon

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2006, 09:15:21 PM »
John,

http://www.popeofslope.com/scotland/courseratings.html

Ratings/slope for all Scottish courses
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Mickey Boland

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2006, 01:32:53 AM »
John,

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread until now.  It was great meeting you and your Dad.  What a thrill for a first ever hole-in-one.

Not to hijack John's thread, but it was my first trip to Scotland also.  John and I had communicated prior to the trip and were lucky enough to meet up.  Ran into he and his dad a couple of times around St. Andrews, and they were there when my group lucked into a tee time at TOC.  They were almost as excited as we were.  John, glad that you and your Dad got on the course also.  Pictures you took prior to our teeing off came out great.

My group played Carnoustie, Lundin, Crail Balcomie and TOC in the St. Andrews area, and then traveled up north and played Royal Dornoch, Brora and Nairn.  Unlike John's experience, we had really benign weather our whole trip.  Really only had three holes of rain at TOC, and no howling winds to speak of.  It was a fantastic trip, and one I can't wait to repeat.  Only course our group would not want to play again was Crail.  First 5 or 6 holes were good, but we weren't that impressed afterwards.  We all thought Carnoustie was a very fair course, and not as hard as we had been led to believe.  Looking at the tees the pros play from would be a different story, and we did have pretty good weather that day.  But, you could see almost all of the trouble from the tee, unlike TOC.  The Dornoch area courses were a real treat, with my favorite being Brora.  If I can figure out how to post pics, I have a couple of good ones to show.

We also met up with David Tepper in Dornoch.  He and I had visited in the year leading up to my trip, and he had stoked the fires by sending me postcards and other info about the Highlands.  It was nice meeting up with he and his wife while we were there.  Very nice gentleman.

John, you were right about the eating arrangements.  We finally figured out that we needed to plan to eat earlier than we had planned.  We were the last group off on TOC the day we played, and squeezed all of the daylight out of the day, finishing about 8:45.  Had a hard time finding a place to eat, but finally wound up at Aikman's pub.  No 5-star place, but after a 36-hole day, the food and beer tasted pretty good.

Scotland was everything I could have hoped for.  I don't plan for it to have been a once in a lifetime trip, but for a first trip it couldn't have been any better.

John, check your PM for my Vegas info.

Chris Kane

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006, 06:07:52 AM »
Slopes/ratings as displayed on the starter's huts!

TOC
Medal 72.8/126
Yellow 71.2/128

New
72.8/126
Yellow 71.9/125

Jubilee
72.8/126
71.3/124

Doug Siebert

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2006, 01:00:13 AM »
Hey how about TOC giving us the example for something that's always talked about but no one can ever come up with an example for -- the slope from the back tees is lower than that from the up tees!!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

jg7236

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2006, 01:00:40 AM »
Thank you so much Chris, I owe you a few pints.

Mickey,

How are things going?  I am glad you posted about your trip.  Feel free to post more on my thread or your own.  Do you have any pictures you could possibly post?  Don't ask me how to post them.  I got help from a few that were nice enough to post them for me.

I will check my email in regards to your trip arrangements in Vegas this week.  I hope we can arrange a time to meet for a few cocktails.

Cheers,

John

Mickey Boland

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2006, 11:13:11 PM »
If someone could help me with photo posting, or direct me to somewhere on this site that explains it, I will try to post some of my Scotland photos.  Thanks in advance.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back