News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Sweeney

Rosapenna vs Ballyliffin
« on: October 03, 2006, 06:00:57 AM »
Jason's trip has me thinking of Ireland. I have never been to either Rosapenna or Ballyliffin with their remote locations. Both have two courses. Just curious if you had to pick one which would it be?

Thanks

Dan Moore

Re:Rosapenna vs Ballyliffin
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 09:07:28 AM »
Haven't played either but our caddies at Portstewart who were Portstewart members were very high on Ballyliffin.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 09:46:30 AM »
Email from a lurker:

-----------------

Mike, I'm not a member of the golf site but I read it weekly & I saw your post about these two courses so I felt compelled to email you since I played both of them in august of this year. Our entire group, to a man, favored the Glasheddy course at Ballyliffin over the Sandy Hills course at Rosapenna. Ballyliffin is far more natural & sporty & just a constant thrill to play. Sandy Hills is far to hilly & penal in it's narrowness of severity of rough. Our caddy at Sandy Hills told us that many guests walk off complaining that they wont return & that the club is gradually widening landing areas. Sandy Hills simply has no magic to it whereas Ballyliffin is a constant thrill.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 09:49:09 AM »
Mike

Ballyliffin is a most beautiful spot.  The new Glashedy course is fine but it really has a man made look to it and a dropshot par 3 over a pond.  Not exactly Irish links at its best.  The old course has the rumpled ground and some outstanding holes including a great uphill fortress-like par 3 I think called Tank. It is worth a visit.

I played Rosapana before the new 9 within the dunes was built.  The old back 9 was a throw away set of holes of little merit and not really on linksland.  The first nine had some truly outstanding holes that were more memorable then anything at Ballylifin. The land that the new 9 is situated on is truly outstanding dunes/linksland and I suspect it could have yielded an outstanding set of golf holes.

That said, you also have Carne and Canamara (named by me -The end of the earth golf club) to choose from.  

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 09:59:51 AM »
connemara is a very, very long country mile from the north of donegal though although i absolutely love it...

all i can say is that ballyliffin is a lovely experience... as geoffrey pointed out, the old links is the more traditional and quirky but the glashedy is top notch... the drop down par three over the pond may seem a little out of place but that is an exception... the 14th is an outstanding one-shotter... the whole area of linksland is very large and there are some great surrounding views of the dunes

meanwhile there are two courses at rosappena and i haven't played either... trust you know that pat ruddy designed both the glashedy and the sandy hills?... for what that's worth

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 01:13:49 PM »
Play them both, decide later.......

Ballyliffin OC #8

Ballyliffin OC #5

Ballyliffin OC #18

Ballyliffin OC #14

Ballyliffin OC #13

Rosapenn Sandy Hills #5

Rosapenna Sandy hills #6

Rosapenna Sandy Hills #1

Rosapenna Sandy Hills #4

Rosapenna Sandy Hills # 3

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 01:16:50 PM »
Aidan

You are the best!!!!

Thank you for those images.

PS- the par 3 I was referring to as Tank is the 5th as per your picture. Great stuff.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 01:18:27 PM by Geoffrey Childs »

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 01:50:36 PM »
Mike S. -

If you are in that part of Ireland, be sure to visit Narin & Portnoo, a great little course off the beaten path.

DT

« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 01:50:55 PM by David_Tepper »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 03:29:56 PM »
Mike NW Ireland is the next place for me to visit. Of course I thought I would have already visited the Liverpool area instead of sitting at this desk right now.  

Ken_Cotner

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 04:10:23 PM »
Mike NW Ireland is the next place for me to visit. Of course I thought I would have already visited the Liverpool area instead of sitting at this desk right now.  

John, my wife and I strolled around Enniscrone a couple months ago and it looked wonderful, especially on a sunny day with a fresh breeze.  We chatted with some visitors who were playing the 17th -- they were touring NW Ireland, and they loved Enniscrone and Donegal (perhaps the same as Murvagh?), thought Carne a bit harsh.  I'm guessing Enniscrone and Donegal are each within an hour of Sligo?

None of which has anything to do with Mike's original question... ;)

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 05:22:18 PM »
Ken

Mike S is a member of Enniscrone.  :o  I agree it is excellent. Donegal is also very good and it had the smoothest best conditioned greens of any on my trip.

Carne is a wild links with a few tame and mundane holes.  I was very glad to have made it to play and I would return.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 05:25:01 PM »
Enniscrone is as good a golf course as there is anywhere. And Donegal and Murvagh are the same course.
John Marr(inan)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back