News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

The Spirit Of Ran

It's time.

For some of you who don't get to see much of Ran around here more, the man has a way with inciting the most interesting response when queired about a course he has come across in his travels.

In other words, no matter how bad he loses, or for a better response, just how much fun it is to beat him, we have to give credit where credit is due. This is why he has become Golf's Most Beloved. Beloved in the fact  that it's so fun to really beat him BUT good.

It took a lot of years and a lot of losses to achieve that status. Way to go!

so, in the Spirit of Ran, here is a Ran-like post, from I, The Spirit of Ran......

There are so many great set-ups. One that immediately comes to mind, 1981 US Open at Merion, which many feel was when the course was at its all-time best, most peak form.

A golf couse just seems to shine at certain times. 1946 Riviera might be another example. Next year's Open at Oakmont might put the course in it's very best light

Which great championship course, in it's most peak form would you like to play most?

Kevin Pallier

Re:Question: Which Golf Course set-up would you like to play the most?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 03:50:17 AM »
From what I've seen: St. Andrews (Old) where there is no such need for "peak form"

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 06:52:52 AM »
championship course

Spirit of Ran,

Your are fired for using those words. :D

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 07:11:27 AM »
wouldn't have minded playing turnberry in '77 as long as i could make the three ball up with jack and tom...

...for me, having never played golf in the states, it would have to be augusta seeing as the masters has captivated me since i was a boy... and i suppose i'd choose 1986 as my year...

but i guess i'm just choosing great championships here...

least like to play - '99 carnoustie

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 07:16:38 AM »
Spirit,

Once you frame the question in the context of set ups for Opens or Tour events, you lose the essence of Ran.

Phil McDade

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 09:52:08 AM »
"Once you frame the question in the context of set ups for Opens or Tour events, you lose the essence of Ran."

I don't believe Spirit framed the question this way. S/He asked:

"Which great championship course, in it's most peak form would you like to play most?"

OK, the examples were from championship set-ups, but couldn't one have a championship course set up in its most peak form AND that wasn't for a championship competition? Maybe at its most difficult, but that could be different than at its most peak form. For example, I'd be really disappointed if the USGA set up Merion East in '13 in its usual manner for a US Open -- narrowed fairways, extremely high/thick rough -- which I get the impression (from TEPaul and others) is perhaps not its peak form. I got the sense those who are fond of Merion East believe the USGA came awfully darn close at the US AM last year to an ideal set-up. Other recent championship set-ups (Medinah, Bethpage Black, Carnoustie) have been criticized in some quarters for not revealing the course at its peak form.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back