News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Kane

Panmure
« on: September 07, 2006, 10:01:47 AM »
Greg Ramsay was passing through St Andrews yesterday, so we drove up to Carnoustie to catch up with an old friend of his, before playing a few holes at Panmure.

Panmure is a links course, but with extensive stands of pine trees planted around fifty years ago, it has a heathland feel to it in parts, especially with the heather in full bloom and the gorse so close to many fairways.

The highlight was the green complexes, which are outstanding.  Unfortunately I didn't take many photos of them, preferring to focus on the other aspects - hopefully Greg has a few on his camera.

#9, 180 yards

#13, 398 yards.  The tee shot needs to hug the left side to ensure full visibility for the second shot.

Panmure isn't well known - I'd hardly heard of it before this year - but is definitely worth a game while you're in the Carnoustie area.  What holds it back are a series of relatively flat, uninteresting holes - the first three particularly.  Most of what we saw, however, is top-class.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 10:05:55 AM by Chris Kane »

Stan Dodd

Re:Panmure
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 10:21:42 AM »
Chris,
Nice to see Panmure,  it is a solid course and a wonderful membership.  As I posted here earlier they hosted our golf team from Pacific Grove High School last year.  We were treated like a Ryder Cup team.  They hosted golf for us and arranged play at other course in the area.  Hosted dinners and lunches.  First Class operation.  Charles Phillip, the Secretary is a gentleman and a true custodian of the spirit of golf.
The here is top notch golf in the middle 12 holes. # 6 being particularly great.
Glad to hear you enjoyed.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 10:23:33 AM by Stan Dodd »

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 10:30:31 AM »
Hogan practiced at Panmure prior to his win in '53 at nearby Carnoustie, and apparently very much admired the course. It's held local qualifying for Opens at Carnoustie in the past.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 02:17:15 PM »
What struck me about Panmure when I played it (probably 12 years ago now) was how from the club house it looks fairly mundane and flat (1,2, 17 and 18 are not dramatic holes from the clubhouse) but how on turning onto 3 the course suddenly took shape.  Another really fine Scottish links on a great bit of coast.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 04:20:43 PM »
For those of you with a bit of curiosity, try GoogleEarthing Panmure and then zoom out until you can see the entire Buddon Links (it is that huge uninhabited triangle between the golf course and the Sea).  You can see the 3 courses at Carnoustie, and then Panmure and Monifieth on the inland edge of the triangle, and the uninhabited land is as good golfing links as exists in the world.  You could easily build 5 great new courses out there (compare the size of the land to the narrower triangle of the Pilmour links at St. Andrews, to the south).  Shame that it is now a British Army rifle range.  Maybe some day...........

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 05:31:35 PM »
use DD7 7RT  as your location zoom back a bit and it works just fine.
Let's make GCA grate again!

SPDB

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 06:31:40 PM »
Chris - Go a little further up the road to Montrose, you'll be impressed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back