News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Olsen

Bandon Dunes Opening Hole Revisited
« on: September 05, 2006, 11:30:19 AM »
I just returned from a wonderful 5 day trip at Bandon Dunes, with 4 rounds on Pacific, 4 on Bandon, and 1 on Trails, and thought folks might be interested to know that the new number 1 hole on Bandon Dunes was put into circulation on Friday, Sept. 1.  

From the green tees, at least where they were placed immediately adjacent to the starter box, it is a non-descript straightaway par 4, with a reachable bunker left at 240 (I think) and right at 255 or so.  It plays better from the tips, where it becomes a dogleg left, with the preferred approach up the left side, and the driver is left to consider how much of a small hill should be carried.  

The green complex itself I liked alot.  It is pear shaped running southwest to northeast, with an elevated bunker roughly 20 paces or so in front and right of the green, and mounding that will funnel the ball down toward the hole with the proper bounce.  To the left is a lower collection area, and I think also a bunker behind and above the hole to the left, although I did not walk over to confirm.  Mounds will also bring a shot that runs through the green slightly back down onto the putting service.  

It feels a bit like they are just wanting to get people off to a fast, easy start, as it is definitely a much easier hole than the original.  Moving the green tees to the left would bring more character to the hole.  That said, I parred it the 3 times I played it, and the odds of that happening on the original would be pretty low, I suspect, as the approach is that much harder.  

Great weather.   Wind and sun on Thursday, Friday was sunny and hot with no wind.  Saturday we had fairly heavy fog and a winter wind from the south.  Cloudy Sunday with a southern wind on Sunday again, and a 1-3 club wind from the north on a cloudy Monday morning.  

I went out as a single, and it was really interesting to me to see how many couples there were playing together.  I enjoyed that very much.  Many first timers, but I also played with a repeat player who shares a love of Highland Links as well.  I had not been there in the summer for several years, and the feel of the resort is still really great.  

OT- I stayed in town this trip, which was a new experience.  I had an excellent ashi atsu massage from Jackie Day, who also does massage at the Dunes.  She is one of the best massage therapists I have ever had.  Highly recommended on your next trip.

Brad Tufts

Re:Bandon Dunes Opening Hole Revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 12:26:37 PM »
I doubt there will be many here that will look forward to playing this hole as opposed to the original, which was very good in my opinion.

This may be another thing to chalk up to the popularity of the resort, and more people mean more focus on safety (keeping balls out of the buildings/parking lot) and more focus on getting people on their way with an easier hole.

But...you said you went out as a single, so the tee sheet isn't completely filled all the time.  It's too bad the first hole cannot be used most of the time, as it seemed a good primer to the rest of the resort's golf.  It's plainly strategic, challenging without being too hard, and DIFFERENT than what you find at most resorts.

Luckily, tournament players will still be able to play it (right?).
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Eric Olsen

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 12:32:07 PM »
Let me clarify.  I went on the trip alone, but played in 4somes every round but one, with a twosome in the afternoon.  All but two of the 4somes included a husband/wife couple.  Of course, I did make a nice little 1-11,5-7 solo loop on PD to end one day and another 1-2-7 loop on PD to end another.  

Tim Pitner

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 12:44:47 PM »
I too will miss the old #1.  From the back tees or even from the greens with the wind against, it was a strong hole with an interesting (and too rare) uphill approach.  Given Kidd's connection, I always guessed it was inspired by the raised green at Gleneagles (King's) #1.  It was a very good hole, IMHO.

Aaron Katz

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 01:27:35 PM »
Four questions:

(1) What was Bandon's public reason for the switch?
(2) Where is the new hole in relation to the old first, specifically the green site in relation to #2 tee?
(3) Who designed the new 1st?
(4) Are they still maintaining the old 1st?

Eric Olsen

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 02:00:25 PM »
The reason for the switch is that people kept hitting the buildings, cars, and people (I am told), when they missed their drive to the right off of the first tee.  

The green is immediately behind the black tee box on number two, by about 20 paces or so.  The green tee for number two is probably 35 or 40 paces from the number 1 green, so the walk from green to tee is much easier.  

I believe that Kidd designed the new hole, and they are indeed maintaining the old number 1 and will use it in tournaments.  It appeared that they are also maintaining the original tee box for number 2, which is up the hill to the right of the original first green, although I did not walk over there to see.  

Chris Kurzner

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 02:29:10 PM »
"At the beginning of your next round on Bandon Dunes you'll discover a modification now under construction on the first hole.  Teeing grounds are being moved near the golf shop, the fairway is being widened and a new green is being constructed to the left of the second tee.  The change was motivated by architect David McLay Kidd's desire to build a green site that takes advantage of the open sand area behind the second tee, and to reduce the walking distance between the two points."

This was from a postcard I received from the resort back in the spring.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 03:01:17 PM »
I suppose that's better than...."We at the resort have noticed that you can't keep your tee shots out of our parking lot, so we asked Mr. Kidd to devise a new opening hole that is plenty wide.  Thank you."  ::)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 03:35:56 PM »
I did not think even the wildest player could hit the buildings off one. I guess in a 6 club wind if you really put it up in the jet stream it could get there. I think it was more about a partially blind tee shot with a blind second shot that slowed down play. The green was very hard to figure as well, making for a real strong opening hole. I love the original hole but thought it was a poor choice for a resort opener.

DTaylor18

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 04:11:55 PM »
I agree with Tiger.  Having just returned from there, it was a very difficult opening hole, especially into the prevailing wind.  It was also a departure from the other holes with no ground game option.  The new green seems to fit the place better and should speed up play, which I think is the main reason.  It is pretty tough to imagine hitting one that far right on the first hole.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 04:12:17 PM by Dan Taylor »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 04:14:02 PM »
Eric,

What were the reasons cited for the revision of the hole ?

DTaylor18

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 04:18:19 PM »
Pat, the word I was given was that they wanted to keep it away from the parking lot/buildings, but I don't think that's the full story.

Eric Olsen

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 04:42:03 PM »
Pat,

The reasons were just as Dan said, which is also what they told us when we were out there last winter and construction had just begin on the new green.  

From a left tee box, I don't think it is a bad hole; in fact,I really like the green complex, as I indicated.  It is just the uphill, sidewind approach to the original number 1 was part of the epic buildup of the course, up to 1, up again to 2, and then to 3, with the panoramic view, and then the glorious corner on 4.  The new hole doesn't match the drama of the original, IMO.

Eric Olsen

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 04:54:58 PM »
The other topic that I should have noted is that Keiser has apparently broken ground south of the town of Bandon for the local course.  Does anyone know who is designing it?

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 02:20:59 AM »
Although I haven't been to the revised #1, I'd guess this would be the location of the green on the aerial.  The buildings that they're trying to protect seem to go out about 150 -200 yards depending on the tee.  From the aerial, it doesn't look like the routing angles much more away from the buildings off the tee.  Have they widened the left side of the fairway?  It must be pretty close to the ninth fairway if they have.

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 07:59:18 AM »
Although I have absolutely no factual basis to go on...

Does anyone suspect that there will be development of the northwest end of the parking lot...even expansion down the sandridge?  This would be a perfect  :P area for more guest rooms that would be close to the main lodge and yet could have an actual view of the course and possibly even the ocean.

As the P Dunes parking lot and club-trailer-house aren't too far from this point, the masterplan might even call to try and wrap some sort of discreet housing/parking behind the 2nd green (on the north/street side of the sand ridge) and 3rd tees and tie into the P Dunes parking.

Wild conjecture?

Eric Olsen

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 09:49:46 AM »
With respect to the location, the bunker on the left side of the 1st fairway is about 130 yards to the green, so I would say that the green location is a little bit more toward 11 o'clock, directly behind the upper left tee box on number 2.  Speaking of which, it is interesting to see the original number 2 tee boxes to the right of the old number 1 green.

With respect to the 9th fairway, all or almost all of that gorse has been cleared out, although there is wispy long rough between the two holes, meaning you can play 9 to the left, or to the right for that matter down the original driving range.  

If my recollection is right, the master plan calls for housing (with ownership interests) behind the ridge that you see on Pacific 15 and would not visible from the course.  I don't think it calls for housing behind number 2 green.  

John Pflum

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 11:30:01 AM »
I did not think even the wildest player could hit the buildings off one. I guess in a 6 club wind if you really put it up in the jet stream it could get there.

Matt "Ocho" Aamold, now in hiding somewhere in the Pacific Northwest, can attest that it's not all the difficult to hit the parking lot.  
--
jvdp

Brad Tufts

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 01:45:30 PM »
I actually hit the last building on the right on my first Bandon shot in April....however it rolled down the tin back in bounds, I hit a 5 wood on the front of the green...and rolled it in from about 40 feet for a 3.  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back