News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re:Worst name
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2006, 11:00:23 PM »
I know, I know...this is a little touchy for you guys.  Let's go back to cutting Dismal River...How dare an owner name a course after a natural feature of the property.  I hope MIke Keiser names his next course after his kids...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2006, 11:01:30 PM »
Even better maybe my brother can design Barneybunion..

Tim Bert

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2006, 11:03:04 PM »
I don't have a problem with the name Dismal River either.

I like how you assume everyone on here must have an agenda.  If only we could all be as honest as you!

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2006, 11:13:20 PM »
I'd have to agree tha Cape shanck doesn't exactly appeal to someone struggling with their iron play.

Michael Robin

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2006, 11:33:32 PM »
John Kavanaugh, you're much more entertaining than saturday night TV. Titirangi anyone?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2006, 11:34:16 PM »
For starters it appears that they put about 80% of their maintenance budget into one hole.  They call themselves the "Pebble Beach of Canada" or something like that.  They've got one par 3 that extends out into a scenic lake with mountains behind it, and somehow that puts it on par with the most acclaimed public course in the US.

The first hole was horrendous as I recall.  An extreme drop shot to an almost completely blind fairway.  It's been several years since I played it, but I seem to recall this blind shot providing plenty of opportunity for a lost ball, which just isn't a grand way to start a round.

There were a lot of quirky holes folded into and around a mountain that didn't seem to make the best use of the terrain.

John Conley, let me just say that Tim Bert was being altogether too kind to Furry Creek in the quoted post!  The course is laid out on the side of and up and down a mountain where a course should never have been built.  It was built to attract an upscale housing development which unfortunately was never built.

The views down over the fjord north of Vancouver are wonderful, about the only thing positive worth reporting about Furry Creek.  Didn't see "Happy Gilmore" so can't report on it but hear it did utilize those views to good advantage.

John_Conley

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2006, 11:44:25 PM »
Excuse me?  Didn't see 'Happy Gilmore'?!  I'm not too keen on golf movies, but the scene at Furry Creek (San Francisco Open I believe) is classic comedy.  Happy's celebrity partner punches his lights out.  They invoke some 'Price is Right' humor with the putting games.  Alas, the short stick is Happy's nemesis.

Go rent it for that scene alone.

I'll reciprocate by following your advice and staying clear of Furry Creek.  My wife's husband loves the course.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2006, 11:47:46 PM »
After one miscue, I have made it a lifelong goal to avoid Adam Sandler movies.

What is your brother-in-law's general perspective on GCA?  Literally, the only thing I saw that I liked at Furry Creek was a really handsome brown bear by the tips tee at I think #13.  We moved up to the front tees on that hole!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2006, 11:48:42 PM »
There's a golf course somewhere in South Carolina called Dusty Hills.  That name certainly doesn't inspire confidence as to the quality of experience.

I also nominate golf course names that account for a dozen or more courses around the country.  Names like Rolling Hills, Pine Valley (though the original is AOK with me), Oak Hills, etc.

American courses that involve the word "Links" but are clearly nothing like a links course.

Courses with unnecessary letters thrown into the name out of vanity, i.e. Grande Dunes, Olde Stone.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

John_Conley

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2006, 12:14:06 AM »

What is your brother-in-law's general perspective on GCA?  Literally, the only thing I saw that I liked at Furry Creek was a really handsome brown bear by the tips tee at I think #13.  We moved up to the front tees on that hole!

He's a plunker.  He hits it quite straight and relishes in tight courses where others find misery.  I don't blame him!  He nutted a drive on #10 at Deacon's Lodge that was swallowed by the bunker - a carry of 200.

He loves the scenery at Furry Creek and definitely loves wild courses.  I didn't realize the course was just 6,000 tipped.  That usually implies a brutal site.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2006, 12:26:01 AM »
The European Club. Why not just Call it Brittas?
John Marr(inan)

Tim Bert

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2006, 01:44:38 AM »
I had no idea that a segment of Happy Gillmore was shot at Furry Creek.  I guess I've got to go back to the DVD collection and watch it again.

I'll admit, I was being to kind in my review of the site.  To make matters worse, I played it immediately following a trip to Bandon, which made it seem even more painful.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2006, 11:10:16 AM »
We have a current topic about Dismal River.  It may be a wonderful course, but is there a less inviting name?

Yes, Ballyneal is worse.  Although not as bad as Glendornoch.

In my unbiased opinion ;)  England has the best names for golf courses/clubs.  Because the country has the best names for places, hills, mountains, lakes etc

American course generally have bad or boring names because nobody has cared to give the places/geography good names.  Just crap names like Silver Creek or Bear Mountain.  Pine Valley pretty much sums it up.

can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2006, 11:28:59 AM »
I remember this coming up before and Whisky Creek got a vote .

If only  :P

Joe Hancock

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2006, 01:08:04 PM »
Some day I'll build Dum Bass Golf and Cart Emporium so you guys can have a clear cut winner. And, yes, I have pondered this name before, except for the cart emporium part.

Barneybunion.......is KK "out there" enough to actually get this done? Or, do you need someone to make sure the creativity is viewed with wrinkled brow? ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill_McBride

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2006, 01:14:09 PM »
I had no idea that a segment of Happy Gillmore was shot at Furry Creek.  I guess I've got to go back to the DVD collection and watch it again.

I'll admit, I was being to kind in my review of the site.  To make matters worse, I played it immediately following a trip to Bandon, which made it seem even more painful.

You think that's bad?  I played Capilano the next day!  ;)

Brad Klein

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2006, 01:30:30 PM »
Usually, you just name it for what you destroyed in order to build it:

Eagle Creek, Mountain Vista, Buffalo Hill, Pelican Lake, Snake River Canyon Club

By contrast a natural place name is wonderful, like Dismal River. Naming it after a rotted luncheon is, however, more problematic than I first thought -- Old Sandwich does sound unappetizing.

I always throught Lakota Canyon was misnamed, since there were no native Lakota within 200 miles. And there, across the street, is a 40-year coal seam that's still on fire. They could have called it Fire Mountain GC or Burning Mountain GC and probably saved themselves a $12,000 consulting fee with a naming company (don't kid yourself -- they exist).

Jay Cox

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2006, 02:42:52 PM »
American courses that involve the word "Links" but are clearly nothing like a links course.

Courses with unnecessary letters thrown into the name out of vanity, i.e. Grande Dunes, Olde Stone.

Tim, you really should try Olde Scotland Links, in Bridgewater, MA.  I'm sure you'd love it.  ;D

I like both Dismal River and Old Sandwich as names.  And I agree that the English and Scots are both much better at naming their golf courses than the Americans.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back