News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Quackenbush

Liddy's Cambridge
« on: September 02, 2006, 09:34:05 PM »
I played Tim Liddy's Cambridge course in Evansville a few weeks back and had a great experience.  Given its $35 dollar green fee and location in the flat farmland of Evansville, IN,  I wasn't expecting much from the course.  

However, it turned out to be one of the more fun and interesting courses I've played this summer.  It is a links-style layout and incorporates some nice short par fours (# 8, 11), interesting putting surfaces (some of which are quite dramatic - the 9th as one example) and shaping on several green complexes that transform the relatively flat farmland into raised profiles which reminded me a bit of Dornoch or Burnham & Berrow (the 7th and 17th come to mind).  

One question that has been bugging me, though, is why the team chose to use zoysia grass for the fairways when the design of the course seems to encourage ground play.  Is zoysia easier / less expensive to maintain than other fairway grasses (given the low greens fees and presumed limited operating budget this seems to be a reasonable explanation)?

Again, congrats and thank you to Tim Liddy for building such a fun, interesting and accessible golf course.    

-David Q

Tim Liddy

Re:Liddy's Cambridge
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 08:01:16 AM »
David,
Although zoysia is more expensive initially (because it must be installed as sod) it takes less water and fertilizer and is more durable.  The golfer almost always gets a preferred lie. It also takes the heat much better in this transition zone of southern Indiana. It is a bit like Velcro to chip and run on, but can be firmed up.

I am sure a few superintendents could chime in here. Many times we put bent into the green approach to allow for a firmer ground game

I am glad you enjoyed the golf course

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 08:05:06 AM »
Tim,

Have you been there since the completion of the clubhouse....The course has turned the corner and is now a real jewel.  

Tim Liddy

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 08:15:24 AM »
John,
I have not.  It is a hard place for me to visit.  It is a 4 hour drive (one way) and not a place that is on the way to anywhere. It is funny, but in 4 hours, I can be almost anywhere in the US vs. traveling to Evansville. It is the same with French Lick, Indiana -but Mr. Dye charters a plane –big difference.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 08:20:51 AM »
You owe yourself a visit...How many times does a guy get to see a course he built that is better than the local Doak..

Tim Liddy

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 08:33:21 AM »
Fazio’s Victoria National GC is definitely the pick of the litter. A great site, great client and great job by Mr. Fazio.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 09:05:19 AM »
A few years ago an equipment salesman came to my office wanting me to buy something...I knew the owner was a member of Victoria National so I asked if I could get a round there to discuss it..The salesman called back in a few days and said...Sorry no, but he said I can take you to Cambridge.  Sometimes a $35 round is all a guy needs..or gets.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 09:05:38 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 09:06:07 AM »
But Sultan's Run is no slouch either. Liddy knows how to make 'em!

Doug

ward peyronnin

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 12:50:03 PM »
Tim

I find the zoysia at C to be less Velcro like and more like bermuda fairways which , if mowed properly , really allow an acceptable gorund game effort. The course, perhaps because of the steady wind, is also drier thru the winter than many around here as well.

The only issue I have with the course are a couple of the greens, particularly the ninth, having too much slope and not enough hole locations IMO.

But is fun and very playableand we are lucky too have a links style course of that caliber in the area.

Ward P
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Doug Ralston

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 01:06:37 PM »
BTW, one great thing about zoysia; even in Winter you get immacualate lies. Dale Hollow Lake is one of our 'off season' favorites because of this. It may be brown in Winter, but it loses not of its tight quality.

Doug

ed_getka

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 04:07:59 PM »
Thanks for bringing the course to our attention. What are the "link-style" characteristics you are referring to on this course, if the grass isn't so good for the ground game?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 04:11:16 PM »
Ed,

It looks and plays like Whistling Staits...Enough golfers call that links to give Cambridge a pass.  It is alot more fun than Hulman Links...

David Quackenbush

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 04:30:14 PM »
Tim L -

Thanks for your reply re:the rationale for using zoysia.  It is true that the lies were consistently good.  And congrats again on the course - I really enjoyed it.  

Ed -

I used the term "links style" a bit loosely.  The course is set on open land (no trees), wind is a major factor, and the course lays out like a links in that there are very few (if any) forced carries and there is quite a bit of interesting ground movement.  As I mentioned in my initial post, though, the zoysia grass reduces the ability to run the ball, so it does not necessarily play like a links.  Also, I don't believe that the course is set on sandy soil, although I can't recall specifically (didn't take too many divots with the ball sitting up so nicely on the zoysia all the time).      

-David Q

ed_getka

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 04:31:13 PM »
John,
   Thanks for the feedback. I haven't seen WS in person, but have obviously seen pix. I did play Hulman Links back in the 90's on a trip where I also played Otter Creek and French Lick. Sounds like Cambridge is a nice addition to the value contingent that golf needs more of.

David,
   Thanks for the feedback. I am not a links zealot that requires the land to be "true links", but was just wondering what characteristics were there, and the components you mentioned seem to fit the bill.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 04:34:37 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back