News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Mollica

Re:Doak "down-under" eclectic 18 (pictures)
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2006, 08:58:11 PM »
Interesting points here. Thanks Philip for a great thread.

Andrew T and Chris are correct in that St. Andrews Beach should be in the Oz Top 10 for some time to come, and will almost certainly climb higher as more people see it.

Mark, I wish you'd leave the personal stuff out of it.

Barnbougle possesses all the subtlety of St. AB, and it's also laid over a dramatic and beautiful site. That's a primary reason why many view it as better than St. Andrews Beach.

Mind you, St. Andrews Beach is much of what future courses should aspire to be like. Very high playability, and very enjoyable. Wide, imaginative and different green complexes. Holes on the edge of par. It really is a course one could play daily for many years - and you'd never feel tired of it.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Mark_F

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2006, 10:29:18 PM »
I disagree with you there Matthew.

Barnbougle does not possess all of the subtlety of Gunnnamatta - although that is not to say that it doesn't have subtleties.

Gunnamatta also has a higher quirk factor which adds to it's subtlety and interest - whether this is a good or bad thing is dependent upon your point of view obviously.

Michael Robin

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2006, 10:38:38 PM »
Mark -

Not ALL of the Renaissance Cuppers preferred Barnbougle and St Andrews Beach to Kidnappers. There were a significant amount of Golf Magazine Panelists there and I believe that Kidnappers is currently top dog on their list.

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2006, 10:57:24 PM »
CK isn't near as good as StAB in my opinion, but it sure does get extra points for mind boggling beauty.

Chris Kane

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2006, 04:33:18 AM »
A positively irksome matter, at least it has been to you in several conversations, I recall. And since you and Brian sleep together, I'm guessing it's irksome for him too. Can you give him a nudge and ask?

I never thought I'd log onto a golf architecture website to learn that I'm having an affair with Brian Walshe.  Schoolyard stuff.  Golfclubatlas has jumped the shark.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back