News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

tlavin

White-colored sand in the Midwest
« on: September 05, 2006, 12:36:07 PM »
Two major courses in the Midwest, Butler National and Point O'Woods, have recently changed the sand in their bunkers to a heavy-grain white sand.  It strikes me as eminently playable, but it is visually jarring to a Midwesterner's eye, since very few courses hereabouts use white sand.

Is anybody familiar with the specifics of this sand?  Is there any particular reason why white sand is more prevalent elsewhere and not here?

Jeff Goldman

Re:White-colored sand in the Midwest
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 12:42:25 PM »
Terry,

I believe that the white stuff is from Best Sand in Ohio, and it costs a fortune, like $70 p/t, as opposed to $18-20 for the stuff Medinah and other clubs here use.  I also think it is manufactured, and not simply dug and washed.
That was one hellacious beaver.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 02:51:01 PM »
Jeff,

Is that the sand from the "pit" next to Sand Ridge out in Chardon?
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

JR Potts

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 03:04:57 PM »
Terry,

I believe that the white stuff is from Best Sand in Ohio, and it costs a fortune, like $70 p/t, as opposed to $18-20 for the stuff Medinah and other clubs here use.  I also think it is manufactured, and not simply dug and washed.

I know that is where the Butler stuff is from.  And I too heard that it is crazy expensive.  It think it comes from manually crushing some type of rock....not sure of the geology however.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 05:32:19 PM »
Even,
   Your are correct.
  I love the look at POW. It's an added touch to a special day-make them stand out more which can be a little more intimidating.

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, Sc
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 05:52:11 PM »
My wife and I must be in the minority, as we think pure white sand is awful looking, glaring, tough on the eyes, etc., we'll take any dirty old firm sand, the cheaper the better
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back