News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_Tully

Drop Shot par three and then some...
« on: September 02, 2006, 06:46:18 PM »
Digging through some old magazines and finally scanned this photo of the 9th at Lake Chabot, a Willie Lock design from 1927. Either not too many people used the stairs, or they were put in just prior to the photo. I managed to get over there about a year ago just to see this hole. I did manage to play the front nine and tried not to rush my game. Needless to say the routing is interesting how holes 2-5 are bisected by the entrance road. On arrival I had a ball hit the road about 15 yards in front of me and on the downhill hole the 5th? i almost hit a car as it came onto the property. On my second shot I proceeded to put my ball in to the preschool playground that is EVEN with the green and to the left!  Thank goodness that school was out for the day!

Anyways, here we go with the photos

Lake Chabot 9 th hole in 1927 Willie Lock
The original photo was not the best so I apologize for the lack of quality.

This was from 2004, there is a cart path off to the left.  I followed the path that you can see in the photo and had a hell of a time getting down. As for the elevation change I would guess at around 100'  down. I recall taking a 1/2 swing with my 8 iron and I was rather lazy about it and still found my self just short of the green on the apron. I had a hard time commiting to the shot, as I've never had to hit one quite like it.

Has anyone seen any similar holes?

Tully

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Re:Drop Shot par three and then some...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 07:04:24 PM »
In metro-NY Leewood (Babe Ruth's club) has the 11th.  In SoCal, there are quite a few drop shot par 3's because new courses often are real estate open space areas and the least desirable land from a grading perspective is being used for golf courses.  

peter_p

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 07:14:01 PM »
The 12th at Mountain View in Boring (OR) is its equal, and probably a five-six club adjustment. Its probably 170 feet drop. If this map transfers it heads due north from the 620 ft contour to the little creek at about 450 ft on the left edge of the course. http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=45.42308&lon=-122.38147&datum=nad27&u=1&layer=DRG&s=25
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 10:29:05 PM by Peter Pittock »

JMorgan

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 07:18:13 PM »
Thompson's Capilano #14

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 08:26:55 PM »
Tully, you are definitely doing some of the most interesting and rare golf architectural research out there. Whether the Good, the Bad or the Ugly it is definitely interesting stuff to have and to know in the broad spectrum of the evolution of American golf course architecture. Keep at it Kemosabe!

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 08:46:16 PM »
The 18th at the Inn of the Mountain Gods in Ruidoso, NM., 230 yds par 3, fall of about 70 feet; also the 8th at Cloudcroft Resort in Cloudcroft NM, a 280 yd. par 4, tee shot is a five iron over a cliff about 180 out- a good solid hit gets you on the green- the golf course is at 9000ft. elevation.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Paul Payne

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 08:47:37 PM »
Them's a lot of steps.

# 17 at Aiken CC looks like a slightly smaller version of that exact hole. The have an old set of stone steps leading down to the green.

Tim Bert

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 09:06:52 PM »
Sugarloaf in ME has one on the back nine with a pretty significant drop.  I think it is #11 or #13, though I'm not at home to look at my scorecard.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 09:14:46 PM »
#13 at Eagle Ridge is a wonderful 240ft drop on a reachable 325yd par-4. Gain about 75yds! You are NOT gonna walk it though. Reality intrudes.

Doug

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 09:38:28 PM »
A 240 foot drop?? That's definitely the most I've ever heard of.

Tim Bert

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 10:36:17 PM »
The most I've ever heard of is slightly more than 100 feet.  I'm not even sure I could imagine what 240 would look like.  That is extreme!

Michael Robin

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 10:44:37 PM »
There use to be a doozy at The Ocean Course at The Olympic Club, maybe
the 10th? I remember that it was something like 3 clubs, around 100 ft.

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 10:56:19 PM »
Sean,
Thanks for the memories. I played many rounds at Lake Chabot when I was in high school. It was (still is?) run by former Raider Raymond Chester and his son and I became good friends.

How were the conditions? The course has always suffered from terrible soil, lack of sun and sad municipal grounds budget. There was talk a few years ago about the course being gutted for the Clairmont Hotel. The city residents, however, would not stand for the increased green fees and the project died. The 18th holes is the stuff of legends... 660 yards that can be reached in two. I know many people that ice-blocked down that golf hole...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 10:57:05 PM by Jeff_Stettner »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 11:28:08 PM »
COOL!!

That 1st picture is awesome
 :)

JR Potts

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 11:34:14 PM »
How about 12 at Shoreacres?

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2006, 11:35:20 PM »
The one at Sugarloaf is #11, and I read that it drops 122', not to mention over the rocky Carrabasset River.

There's a community in NC called Mountain Air, and it has a couple par 3s which drop over 100', I believe (though I've never played there).
Senior Writer, GolfPass

PThomas

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2006, 11:41:27 PM »
Threetops, the par 3 course at Treetops, has 2 of them...one is 150 feet down...plays 5 clubs lesss!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Doug Ralston

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 12:03:05 AM »
TEPaul and Tim Bert;

Never seen 240' drop?

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=25338;start=0

Go to that thread, about 1/3 down the page. I didnt know how to post the pic, so another posted it for me. Of course, it is not possible for a 2D picture to completely do justice to depth like that ...... it is more vertical than it appears. The course; Eagle Ridge at Yatesville Lake State Park, KY; is spectacular and monster tough, as well as very minimal in earth moving. My all time favorite track!

James Bennett

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2006, 12:38:07 AM »
Heres a great one from the 'West' in Philadelphia.  This course is certainly not a 'basket' case, unlike its more famous 'East'ern neighbour.

It has been called a 'great par 4' by some

'Stairway to Heaven' looking back up to the tee

James B :o
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tim Bert

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006, 01:51:18 AM »
You are correct that it doesn't look like 240.  I really doesn't look much different than the drops at Sugarloaf which are about half of that.  I realize that photos can be deceiving, so I'll take your word for it.

How far is this State Park from Nashville?  I guess I could go see it for myself.

Tim Bert

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2006, 01:54:37 AM »
Just found the web site.  That is tucked pretty far away from everywhere! Definitely not a same day up and back for me.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2006, 02:34:04 AM »
One of the worst, if not most impossible, still call me masochistic, I would  play it again and again just for the challenge and if I should make the green celebrate with a porterhouse at the Capri, Desert Hot Spring's Mission Lakes CC's 12th. Maybe the hardest hole I have ever played in my life.

The 12th is about 288 yards downhill. Doesn't sound too tough yet? Well try it into one of the trademark Desert Hot Spring's Tradewinds that seemingly stop once every five years--for about five minutes. (Lynn Shac's. description of DHS)

It feels like it's a 300 foot drop, but it's probably only 299....

[/img]  ::)

Doug Ralston

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2006, 06:19:00 AM »
Tim;

Kentucky has built an entire State Park 'Golf Trail', called it's Signature Series. One of the very best of those is at Dale Hollow Lake, which is an easy drive for you from Nashville. You should definitely go to see that course. I would wager you will love it. Ault Brothers design, both beautiful and challenging, and one of the best people I have met in golf is the Pro there [Bruce Bottom].

Then, if you find you like the Trail there; you might consider a two day trip to Eastern Kentucky to play Hidden Cove and Eagle Ridge. Both are masterpieces, IMHO.

Look in the last two year's listings of 'Best New Affordables' in Golf Digest. All three appear. I wish more folks were as close as you to them. Kentucky is oddly isolated in the middle between the Gulf Coast, the Atlantic Seaboard, and the Midwest famed golf areas. Yet we have courses that would cost $150 in Chicago, Coastal Carolina, or Ft Lauderdale.

Give us a visit. We have great golf under $50 with very nice Park accomadations at again low price. If you like to fish, Dale Hollow is renowned for it and stunningly lovely to see.

Disclaimer: I do not work for the State of Kentucky, nor am I hired to promote their Parks.  :D

Doug

Paul Payne

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2006, 10:31:05 AM »
Some of you I know have played Timberstone in Iron Mountain MI. Their #18 "double black diamond" is a par four that drops almost 300 feet from tee to green. That is a mighty drop.

The par three #17 at Aiken CC that I mentioned earlier drops a mere 80 feet.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2006, 03:59:27 PM »
I've played the hole Peter mentions, the one at Mt. View in Boring, OR.

It lists about 200 yds on the card but plays 115.

Wasn't there a hole depicted in The Confidential Guide at St. Andrew's NY (RIP) which was extremely downhill?

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back