News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Worst name
« on: September 02, 2006, 06:17:11 PM »
We have a current topic about Dismal River.  It may be a wonderful course, but is there a less inviting name?

cary lichtenstein

Re:Worst name
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 06:19:37 PM »
There are some courses with Devil in the name, one with purgatory, but I thought Dismal River was pretty bad inspite of the fact that the Dismal River is there, but if you can find it, you will be the first.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 06:21:12 PM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 06:25:25 PM »
Try Lake Toxaway Country Club, N.C.

I'm not making this up: http://www.laketoxaway.com/countryclub.htm
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 06:30:44 PM by Brad Klein »

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 06:41:25 PM »
Dismal River is not a bad name. Lets get serious. ^^^ That one is bad.

Stu Grant

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 07:59:11 PM »
Osprey Valley in Ontario has TWO courses that are up for worst name:  Hoot, and Toot.  Its been a few years now since they've opened and I still can't get used to these stupid names.

http://www.ospreyvalley.com/courses.php

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 08:02:46 PM »
On a global stage, Dismal River and Old Sandwhich are the Clubhouse leaders...

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 08:08:57 PM »
How bout Furry Creek?

Bill Brightly

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 08:22:51 PM »
Crackerneck Country Club

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 08:28:07 PM »
Furry Creek is the leader in the clubhouse for worst name AND worst course.

::)

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 08:44:36 PM »
Mark:

You think Dismal River is a bad name? Get outta town!!

Trump National is a really, really, really bad name, not Dismal River.

Dismal River reminds me of the name of a dog my wife once had called Miserable. That name for that Bassett Hound was most apropos as he was a drooling, farting, dirty, misanthrope, if I ever saw one.

But I must admit, we over here in the New World do not have names for our golf courses as remotely interesting and cool as you guys over there do and we never will.

I had a name for a course that never happened I really liked and have never seen anything like. I called it Seven Seventy or 770 as that was the amount of its acres. ;)

If one can manage somehow to divorce the aura of this course and club from its name that seems to make the name special now, I'll tell you a name of a course that I've always thought was about the worst and most unimaginative I've ever heard---eg Pine Valley.  ;)

I'll tell you how the perception of a name can change with the aura of what the name represents----the first time I heard the name Secreteriat as a two year old for the race horse that was to become a year and a half later what was to be considered the greatest ever, I thought it was the dumbest and most illogical name for a thoroughbred race horse I'd ever heard.

A year and a half later that name alone had a whole new and hugely powerful connotation to me.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 08:47:28 PM by TEPaul »

Paul Payne

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 08:45:22 PM »
How about Treesdale?

I just heard this one a week ago or so on a thread here. That has to be one of the worst names for a golf course.

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 08:56:49 PM »
Paul:

Just hearing the name of that golf course again makes me wince with pain and fatigue. That course was the last time I made the cut in a Pennsylvania State Amateur, and it might have been the last time I ever played in a PA Amateur. At that time I guess I was just too old and too out of shape to have to walk about ten miles per round between greens and tees again and it was so unbearably hot out there that late July or early August day I just pulled out of the tournament instead of playing the last two rounds on the final day. Not just that but when I teed off on the first day on the 10th hole I walked down to my ball in the middle of the fairway and honestly I didn't know whether that hole went right or left from there. ;)

Tim Bert

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 09:00:07 PM »
Furry Creek ... the course is definitely worse than the name

John Nixon

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 09:02:36 PM »
Indianapolis has two that always come up, at least locally. Shank and Coffin.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 09:16:31 PM »
Tee City in Maysville KY!

Doug

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2006, 09:20:12 PM »
My vote for the cheesiest name still goes to the Royal American Links, a public course in Ohio.

John_Conley

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2006, 10:06:26 PM »
Along that same line, the Royal Amelia Links is neither royal nor a links.  I've been told to go play it, but I've boycotted it on name alone.

How bad is Furry Creek?  My brother-in-law loves it and I thought it looked like a cool setting when Bob Barker punched out Happy Gilmore.  Can anyone tell me specifically what is wrong with it?

peter_p

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2006, 10:14:54 PM »
Mark just needs to go back to this last thread. He nominated some real doozies in reply # 42 therein.  A GCA search also brought up Grand Gold Club and Concession GC as worst names in the last few months.

My choice for worst name of courses I have played: Cape Shanck, on the Mornington peninsula.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=18199;start=msg323057#msg323057

« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 10:17:28 PM by Peter Pittock »

Tim Bert

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2006, 10:23:03 PM »
For starters it appears that they put about 80% of their maintenance budget into one hole.  They call themselves the "Pebble Beach of Canada" or something like that.  They've got one par 3 that extends out into a scenic lake with mountains behind it, and somehow that puts it on par with the most acclaimed public course in the US.

The first hole was horrendous as I recall.  An extreme drop shot to an almost completely blind fairway.  It's been several years since I played it, but I seem to recall this blind shot providing plenty of opportunity for a lost ball, which just isn't a grand way to start a round.

There were a lot of quirky holes folded into and around a mountain that didn't seem to make the best use of the terrain.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2006, 10:30:12 PM »
Come to think of it, Ballybunion is not such a good name, nor is Royal Dornock
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 10:30:36 PM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

peter_p

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2006, 10:31:18 PM »
At a dinner last nite Furry Creek was brought up as the worst course by a person I had just met.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2006, 10:49:55 PM »
It doesn't surprise me that the access hounds are afraid to say it...so here goes...It may be a cool name but is Ballyneal the first ranked course since Trump to use the owners name in the title.  

Jay Flemma

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2006, 10:52:38 PM »
But doesn't bally mean "place of...?" so isn't it actually appropriate as "Place of Neal?"

I mean Furry creek isn't actually furry...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2006, 10:54:15 PM »
Jay,

Sure...Ballytrump would have been great too.  

Tim Bert

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2006, 10:54:45 PM »
John - Who cares?

If they called it O'Neal National, then it would be a dumb sounding name and I'm sure it would get some criticism.  Instead, they integrated their family and still manged to make it sound cool.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back