News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Tiger and par
« on: September 02, 2006, 05:43:35 PM »
At this year's Open Championship Tiger mostly chose to hit an iron off the tee, leaving himself many long approaches to the green.  Of course, there is the issue of how to make him take a driver off the tee, but were we not treated to witness some of the greatest approach play ever seen?  If you had a choice of witnessing fabulous driving or fabulous approach play which would you opt for?  I don't think we can hope for both.

cary lichtenstein

Re:Tiger and par
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 06:24:04 PM »
One thing is very certain, and that is Tiger knows how to win inspite of his not being able to control his driver,  it is a major weakness in his game, but makes him so exciting to watch as we never know where his drives are going.

His ability to recover is 2nd to no one in the history of golf
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

noonan

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 06:37:35 PM »
I would choose to see approach play.

I can tune into a long drive championship and sleep.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 07:03:17 PM »
I used to love watching Faldo hit his 5 iron close while Norman was waiting to hit his 9. Tiger at Hoylake was maybe the most fun I've had watching golf since then.

Steve Kline

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 07:06:18 PM »
I agree approach play is where it's at. I also like to see great recoveries from errant drives and second shots. Too often though, TV coverage focuses on putting.

JR Potts

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 07:52:53 PM »
Tiger = Really really good.

He's going to win again.

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 07:56:58 PM »
The thing that just continues to astound me about Tiger Woods unlike any other athlete I have ever seen in my pretty long life is that he seems almost incapable of beating himself which most all other world class athletes do in their sports more than just infrequently. I've been watchinng him like a hawk for about thirteen years now and I can only recall a single incident where he actually beat himself while in the lead---eg that shot he missed on the 18th hole in Dubai to beat himself and lose to Bjorn. And his record of converting when he goes into the final round tied or on the lead is just mind-boggling, something like 93% in his career. Just amazing, truly! Heretofore that was not something that was thought possible in golf.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 08:49:05 PM »
Let's see at Oakmont next June. COuld be the best of both worlds. He will have to hit driver on many holes and play to al those greens that slope so steeply.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 09:18:33 PM »
"Let's see at Oakmont next June. COuld be the best of both worlds. He will have to hit driver on many holes...."

Jim:

I don't think so, at least not if he doesn't feel like it, and frankly I don't think he will. We played Oakmont in the last month or so and from the tips (other than #4, #7, #10 and #15)----and I doubt Tiger will use driver there, or need to if it's relatively firm and fast).

About halfway around I starting thinking that Woods may not use drive on this course as amazing as that sounds. I think he could even reach the 661 yard 12th hole with a 3 wood and whatever. We just saw him rely on long iron, 5 wood and 3 wood tee shots at the longest course in Major Championship history and win the thing handely.

When we went through Oakmont recently there were a couple of holes that they left with the type of rough they want for the Open as "example" holes and it was so unimaginatively tough they cut it back down.

There's going to be a real premium on fairways and greens at Oakmont if they get that course the way the USGA wants it and if it's like I think it will be Woods can play that just fine without touching his driver. The US Open at Oakmont the way it's going to be set-up is not the type of course anyone wants to be "flogging" the ball off the tees.

I think Woods will use his Medinah game plan at Oakmont and that was a game plan he only touched his driver a few times and even that minimal driver usage didn't benefit him. And that was the longest course in Championship history.

Furthermore, Woods really does amaze me because it's just not hard to see that he just doesn't need to come out of his shoes to hit his driver 320 yards and accurately, and that most every time he swings that driver with balance he hits it just fine and every time he comes out of his shoes he's all over the place. He might have his driver back in control as he did in 2000 and if he does he might win a few more majors by 12 or 15 shots.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 09:29:39 PM by TEPaul »

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 11:10:50 PM »
Let's see at Oakmont next June. COuld be the best of both worlds. He will have to hit driver on many holes and play to al those greens that slope so steeply.
People said the same thing about Medinah and he put that to bed with a 5 wood that travels 290 Yards and arrow straight  :o

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back