News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Indiana Golf Question
« on: August 30, 2006, 08:25:46 AM »
Has anybody played both The Fort and Brickyard Crossing?  If you had one day, which would you choose?

Of course Trophy Club will be the OTHER day.  Thanks.

John Nixon

Re:Indiana Golf Question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 09:18:19 AM »
Jay,
For me it's no question, The Fort. Unless you really think it's cool to play a few holes inside the Speedway, I don't see it as a very close race. BC is a fine, fine course, but to me is handicapped a bit by the mundane topography and surroundings. The Fort has a much more interesting and challenging location, some big elevation changes and much less cluttered surroundings.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 09:21:39 AM »
Ditto to everything that John said.

Depending on the number of days you have there are other very good offerings in Indy on the public golf side.  I think it has been discussed on here several times in the past.  

Purgatory
Bear Slide
Prairie View
The Fort
Trophy Club

These are just to name a few.  Several others as well.

TaylorA

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 09:45:32 AM »
I've walked Brickyard, but played The Fort. Based on that, I'd have to say The Fort. I really enjoyed the golf course and it has several more interesting holes than BC. That's not to say that BC is a slouch, because I thought it was a strong course as well. (In particular, the 14th. Perhaps because I was young and just loved the thought of a bunker in the middle of the fairway!)

The topping on the cake is that the Fort isn't as expensive as BC.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 11:36:09 AM »
Why hasn't Wolf Run been mentioned? I think it is accessible

Ward
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Doug Ralston

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 11:38:10 AM »
I have played Purgatory and Pararie View [birthday freebie!]. Both we very good. Do not forget to consider a slight drive to Rock Hollow. Liddy rox!

The Fort is also on our 'to play' list. Indy has a lot of excellent publics in the area.

Doug

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 11:42:27 AM »
Play Wolf Run if you have access, excellent course by Steve Smyers
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Nick Church

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 12:40:30 PM »
The Fort, no question.  Few distractions, lots of trees, and a lot of elevation change (especially for Indiana).

As I've said before, Indianapolis has some of the best public golf available in a 60 mile radius.

Nick

John Nixon

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 03:20:03 PM »
Why hasn't Wolf Run been mentioned? I think it is accessible

Ward

If Wolf Run is easily accessible by the public, please let me know - I'll be there tomorrow   :)

Nick Church

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 04:23:20 PM »
Wolf Run is private.  At a minimum, a member would need to get you onto the course.  I am not sure if a guest must be accompanied.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 05:08:50 PM »
Wolf Run is private.  At a minimum, a member would need to get you onto the course.  I am not sure if a guest must be accompanied.

They Don't

Brad Klein

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 05:11:41 PM »
Not even close, Brickyard Crossing by two laps. Course starts in a motel, takes in the infield of the speedway (four holes of it, and the view from the tee of the Redan 7th is wonderful). Plus you work through or behind turn no. 3 of the track, then play alongside high-power lines, slum housing, railroad tracks, gas tanks and a barn. Plus the holes are very solid. But the scenery is a pure American Midwest inconographic landscape.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 10:45:29 PM »
I don't know much about the Brickyard, but I really enjoyed the 13 holes of the Fort that I played before dark one afternoon last fall...I can't wait to get back and play the whole thing. You certainly won't go wrong playing that one!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 11:32:30 PM »
OK...The Fort it shall be!  Reports soon

T.J. Sturges

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 04:19:00 PM »
I agree with Brad Klein that it's not even close....but you should play The Fort.  It is the best piece of property for a golf course in Indianapolis.  If you want a good golf course that runs through a motor speedway, go to Brickyard Crossing.

Other public recommendations:  Trophy Club in Lebanon (Tim Liddy design), and The Links of Heartland Crossing in Camby (Steve Smyers design).  Both are great fun.

TS
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 10:14:18 AM by Ted Sturges »

Paul Richards

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 07:02:02 AM »
Jay

If those are my choices, you have to see Brickyard Crossing.

It is so unique and amazing.  The course itself is good, but the surroundings are unlike anywhere else.  Besides playing in the motor speedway, you've got garbage dumps, high tension wires, cows, gas tanks, etc etc.

It is quite the place!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

John Pflum

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2006, 08:57:39 AM »
Other public recommendations:  Trophy Club in Lebanon (Timm Liddy design), and The Links of Heartland Crossing in Camby (Steve Smyers design).  Both are great fun.
TS

I played Heartland Crossing a numbers of years ago -- IIRC the year it opened.  Great course.  I remember thinking they flew an old B-29 the course and dropped a few bombs.  Then they just filled in all the craters with sand to make bunkers.  :-)  

PS --  I agree with everyone on the Fort.  Great course.  
--
jvdp

Jay Flemma

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2006, 09:02:36 AM »
Yeah, Brad recommended Brickyard too...(my apologies Brad, I was in a rush and didn't see it your post...road weary...)

I'm looking forward to Trophy Club especially.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back