News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gib_Papazian

Re:Is it the greatest tee shot in golf?
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2006, 11:54:01 AM »
Gentlemen,

It has been quite a span of years since I have been able to regularly check in on this esteemed site. However, it is clear that the dilutive effect of too many newbies has degraded the level of discourse to pedestrian pap.

I warned of this years ago in the infamous "Pizza man" thread, but alas, it fell upon deaf ears as I was beaten into submission with a series of accusatory, egalitarian rants.

Therefore, in order to help get this esteemed board out of the kiddie pool and back into the deep water, let's discuss a thing or two:

The alternate fairway you see above is a Channel Hole. it is a wonderful design that harkens back to #4 at Lido. The reason Arnie uses it quite often is that if thought out correctly, it presents the ultimate risk/reward from tee.

I'm not sure if if Arnold Palmer (or his design coterie) know C.B. Macdonald from Old Macdonald, but the inclusion of this concept tends to (briefly) elevate his courses which are normally 17 holes of dreary excrement and one Channel hole.

I walked Running Y Ranch (Klamath Falls, OR) last March and found this to be the case. A beautiful lakeland site defaced by a brainless series of hideous dozer-mound infested green complexes that blocked expansive views of the pristine surrounds.

Yet, after clearing bile from my stomach after a particularly poorly conceived back nine, I came across #17, a superb Channel Hole par-5.

My stepson, who sadly suffers from the tertiary effect of living with a congenital curmudgeon, noted on the tee that it was the first time all day I smiled.

In fact, #18 was quasi-acceptable, so like a bad movie with a decent ending, I could not bring myself to give it less than a "5" . . . . but it all began with the Channel Hole.  

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2006, 11:56:03 AM »
I think "the greatest tee shot in golf" is probably a hole #1 somewhere.  The first tee shot of any given round has a special significance.  Balls are thrown in the air, partners are chosen, and the pre-shot jokes are a little funnier, as everybody mentally prepares to play.  Jack Nicklaus wrote that the most important shot of any round is the first tee shot, which sets the tone for the entire round.

Without having played there, I have to believe the first shot at The Old Course is as good as it gets.  Of the ones I've played, I like the first shot at Ballyneal, Sand Hills, and Riviera best, with honorable mention to The Kingsley Club, where the reward for a well struck drive is considerable.  
If it's got to be a #1 then that just adds weight to Machrihanish's claim.  It's not TOC because, special though it is, there isn't enough challenge to make it the greatest.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2006, 03:57:25 PM »
Mark Pearce

Wouldn't it be fun to find out how often the first fw at TOC is missed?  It is 100+ yards wide, after all.  :o
Indeed.  I suspect that Ian Baker-Finch has a unique record amongst professionals, having missed it left and right in the same tournament.  As to statistics, a shame they don't keep them but I stand by my reasoning.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

David Lott

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2006, 11:55:33 PM »
Greatest tee shot is the 18th at St. Andrews, because of the incredible setting, especially late on a June evening, nearly 10:30 at night, when town is quiet and the ball soars into the soft, lovely dying light.
David Lott

Andy Hughes

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2006, 01:46:46 PM »
Yes, I am kidding.

OK, maybe I am missing the joke, but why exactly is the tee shot Michael posted not a very good tee shot? Because it is in Myrtle Beach?

"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

TEPaul

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2006, 09:10:57 AM »
Gib:

Reply #27 is why we love you so much and miss you more.

You're right, this website has devolved into a kiddie pool setting compared to the old days when you spent some time on here and the fact that these lunks didn't even respond to that gloriously written reply #27 of yours is total prosecutorial proof of it.

;)

The only fault I can find with that post is you addressed us as "Gentlemen". That's way off base as we've become a collection of nattering little weenies with no greater goal and no greater depth than teet sucking instant gratification.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 09:14:58 AM by TEPaul »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2006, 12:02:25 PM »
Ken Fry and Andrew Thomson;

Sorry I did not check back to see your comments earlier.

Since I have been on this site I have seen this 'anti-cart rant' constantly. Guess what?

This hole drops 240ft. It is on a very mountainous course. There is actually one person on this site that swears he can walk it [why he would is more my question]. Most would not be foolish enough to try.

What then? Do you think no one but 'flatlanders' deserve great golf? How narrow minded can you be?

This hole is a 325yd par-4. A player who can normally hit a 250yd drive can reach this green. The question is, should he attempt to? Left is dead! Right, next to the 'evil cartpath', the rocky slope will often funnel the ball back toward the fairway, though the rough up there is thicker near the green. Behind the pin you see in the picture, the green falls away to a collection area about -5ft. You can try to putt orc chip from there. This is a GREAT hole, period!

Many who arrive at #13 tee 3, 4, 5 balls, even if the hit a great shot earlier. It is such a blast to hit it, go put up you club, sip your drink, and come back to watch it land. Options, beauty, 'awe-factor'. Just too much fun!

And you can only comment about the absolutely essential cartpath. *snort*

Doug

Doug Ralston

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2006, 04:38:06 PM »
Think I am going to BUMP this back up to give Ken and Andrew a chance to answer me.

Doug

Ken Fry

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2006, 09:29:57 PM »
Doug,

That's great you think so highly of the pictured golf hole.  Since I've never played there, I can only comment on what the picture shows.  Unfortunately what stands out most in the photo is a bright white/gray cart path.  I'm not commenting on the hole itself or the fact a cart is needed to play the course.  I'm sure it's a very nice place, but it's still a shame a cart path can distract from what should be a very scenic view.

Ken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back