News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Taylor

What happened to the Nicklaus course by Dulles airport?
« on: August 28, 2006, 02:05:55 PM »
Anyone know the disposition of the course?  At one point it was on the Nicklaus Design web site's "Under construction" section. It's not anymore. I thought it was to be 18 holes plus a nine hole short course. Haven't been out that way lately to check it out.

If memory serves me correctly it was also somehow linked with Beacon Hill, the Johnny Miller course in Leesburg that went belly up.

Tim

Tim Taylor

Re:What happened to the Nicklaus course by Dulles airport?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 06:23:37 PM »
Alright, a little Googling indicates that the course was to be called Golf Club of Virginia but nothing on what the current status is.

I'm curious enough that I might have to drive out to Ashburn tonight.

Tim

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 06:32:12 PM »
Tim:

I believe that's one of the courses that Jim Lipe told me he has been working on, and that they are just finishing seeding it.

JWL

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 08:26:48 PM »
Tom is correct.

The golf course is now completely grassed and the grow-in and punch list is being completed.   Several holes could be played today, but because we had to build the course in segments, the last few holes are under mulch.

The course will be officially opened early next summer.

It is called Creighton Farms.

20 minutes from Dulles in Aldie, VA.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 08:34:35 PM »
Jim, I had a friend years ago who had a farm near Aldie, in very pretty gently rolling farmland.  What's the course going to be like?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 08:37:35 PM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Taylor

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 09:45:24 PM »
Nope, not talking about Creighton Farms. This one is on Waxpool Road, off of Route 28, near AOL and MCI headquarters and Redskins Park.

Maybe I'm on crack and it was a never a Nicklaus design. But I don't think so.

Didn't make it out there tonight. Kids were too cranky :(

Tim

Jim Colton

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 11:51:44 PM »
What's the background on that Beacon Hill course going under?  Wasn't it part of a huge upscale residential development?  A few years ago, I was in the interviewing process for a job in Northern VA and remember looking into those courses.  It definitely was a Nicklaus design.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 12:07:39 AM »
Tim,

I know exactly the project that you're talking about in Dulles.  It was called Bear National and was located right near AOL headquarters.  There was also supposed to be a golf academy as part of the development.  Originally, the Golf Club of Virginia was being marketed as a dual membership of Beacon Hill and Bear National.  I'm not positive but I think that project stalled when Beacon Hill went belly up.

The whole Beacon Hill saga is really a shame.  It's a 27 hole Johnny Miller course that was basically left in shambles when the project fell apart.  It was a beautiful property at one time with some really good golf holes.  It was basically unwalkable, but there were quite a few excellent holes.  Last I heard, the Beacon Hill golf course was being auctioned a couple of months ago.  There are a lot of unhappy residents and members who ponied up $50K to join and were left with a golf course that was left to rot.

Here's a link to an old story on Beacon Hill, during it's better days:
http://www.golfthemidatlantic.com/story/47

Mark Leo

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 12:19:40 AM »
Wow, that is a shame!!
What a beautiful property!

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 08:05:47 AM »
THe course you are speaking of is called Presidential. McDonald & Sons are doing the construction. My understanding is that Bill Collins is part of the group developing the golf course.

It is a shame about Beacon Hill. What a great golf course! THe developer Sr. Tour Properties got upside down now there are lawsuits everywhere. I have looked at the property from every angle and there are not many solutions. I know several people who joined and have gotten burned.

The third none was completed but never really had much of a chance to open. I understand the tees, fairways and greens and being minimally maintained to prevent it from going to seed but the course is not playable.

Mike Hoak

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 09:42:09 AM »
I had an opportunity to play several preview rounds at Beacon Hill several years ago.  The course was a great layout on a very hilly site.  It was actually built on farmland originally owned by Arthur Godfrey.  If memory serves me correctly, the land on which the course sits is only zoned for golf or agricultural use.  Former members were hoping the property would be purchased at auction by another golf developer, but I do not know what ever came of that.  The last thing Loudon County needs is more residential development.

Tim Taylor

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 07:50:05 PM »
Alright, I'll close the loop on this one. I received an email response from a lurker who doesn't have a GCA account.

The course is tentatively called Presidential Golf Club, although the name may be in jeopardy due a similarly named course being built in Maryland. It started off as a Nicklaus Design and is now under the auspices of Dave Heatwole's firm. Not sure if Dave was the lead designer of the course while at Nicklaus Design and got to "keep" it when he struck out on his own. If so, good on Jack.

Also of interest, the "Nicklaus" designed Applecross course in Chester County, PA is also listed on Dave's current projects page:

http://www.heatwolegolf.com/new_courses.htm

Tim

Tim Taylor

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 03:55:17 PM »
I just can't seem to stop beating this dead horse, can I? I was out that way this AM and did a quick drive by. The holes that are visible from the road look grown in and the area for the parking lot/clubhouse appears to have been cleared of vegetation and leveled.

Tim

Tim Taylor

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 06:52:07 PM »
Mark, the original plans called for an 18 course PLUS the nine hole executive course PLUS an extensive learning facility. If what I've read over the years can be believed, the target market was "corporate memberships". Too bad the nearby AOL and MCI headquarters are losing jobs at an alarming rate.

Tim

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back