News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Soileau

Dismal River Pics
« on: August 29, 2006, 03:53:18 PM »
For anyone who may be interested or anyone who would like to post some pictures of Dismal River on the website, as I have no flippin idea how, I have posted a large number of pictures from the grand opening of Dismal River on our website.  
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 09:03:28 AM by Tom Soileau »

Michael Dugger

Re:Dismal River Pics
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 04:00:26 PM »
Tom

That's really nice of ya to let us in and view those!

Unfortunately, most of the images need resized before being posted here, they are too big.

Additionally, because the folder they are in is password protected you cannot post/link them here, at least I cannot figure out how to do it.  

They need moved to a server that is NOT password protected, methinks.

After thinking about this more.  You shouldn't give out that password.  I could very easily delete everything.  Additionally, I already perused some other information you might not want getting out, like spreadsheets and other internal stuff.

With that password some evil doers could mess with ya.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 04:17:02 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tom Soileau

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 04:17:52 PM »
Michael,

I had no idea there was a file size restriction.  The size of the pics are just what my camera took that day.  As you saw, there are probably 100 pics or so, many of the bunkers as I was taking them for myself and for reference.  If you are interested or if anyone else is interested in downloading them and picking out a few that you think are post-worthy feel free.  I would do it myself, but as I said, I have no idea how to post them and don't really have time right now.  Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 04:23:06 PM »
Tom

There isn't so much a file restriction as a big resolution image will dominate the whole screen.

I like about 1000 x 750 but some around here, who must be using 15" monitors, like 'em even smaller.

I already downloaded everything, I'll pick out a few, resize them (already in process,) stick them on my server and get them up here in a jiffy.  

Indeed, they are wonderful!!!  

P.S. You can adjust the resolution that your digital camera takes images at, but keep it just how it is.  Always better to be too big and shrink them then the opposite.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 04:25:34 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 04:24:16 PM »
Here is one I copied and uploaded to Photobucket:

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tom Soileau

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 04:29:01 PM »
Thanks for the concern, but that folder is named "Public" for that reason.  That address, user name and password are given out to numerous people everyday, any of whom could delete files or download files not pertaining to themselves or their respective projects.  All of the files are backed up daily and also stored on our sever seperately and posted in this folder for retrieval.  There are other folders on the FTP that are password protected that only we can access.  If you are interested in posting the pics, I would suggest downloading them all and picking a few that would be worth the time to resize and post.  Good luck.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 04:33:22 PM »
Here are some of my favorites.....

Scott Witter

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 04:50:19 PM »
Holy stimpmeter Batman,  :o that second Favorite picture posted by Michael Dugger is something to behold...Matt Ward can you comment on what we are looking at in this photo, or Tom Soileau for that matter?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 05:26:38 PM »
On the second favorite picture, you do not, do not, do not want to be short.

It was a 6 iron to a very elevated green. We had a front right pin placement, all of us hit it about 15 to 20 feet long, hit lag putts and all 3 putted out of fear we would have been 50 yards down the hill if we were a touch long.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 05:42:15 PM »
On the second favorite picture, you do not, do not, do not want to be short.

It was a 6 iron to a very elevated green. We had a front right pin placement, all of us hit it about 15 to 20 feet long, hit lag putts and all 3 putted out of fear we would have been 50 yards down the hill if we were a touch long.

is the slope too severe in your opinion Cary??
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike Benham

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 05:42:36 PM »
Perhaps I missed him, what color shirt was Jordan wearing?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 07:28:50 PM »
Paul

It might be too severe for the weaker player, but it was alot of fun. If they speed up the greens in the future, who knows?

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 07:41:29 PM »
Guys, a few comments.

The par-3 green at the 4th (2nd picture) is severe -- if you are short. You need to hit sufficient club to get on to the green and I salute Jack and his team for having two frontal areas bracketed by the lone bunker in front. It's one of the best par-3 holes I have ever played from Nicklaus.

If you don't carry the false fronts you are penalized. Nothing special on that front because other architects have done it.

What's really neat is with the last picture -- the d0g-leg left 1st hole. Wonderful starting hole because it introduces you to what you will face for most of the day. Just enough length to stretch the muscles but not overpowering to the point of overkill.

A slight draw over the right edge of the left fairway bunker sets up a much easier approach from the valley floor below.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 08:55:33 PM »
As I understand it, the bunkers you see were there before the course was built.  You can also see from the photos that the primary rough close to the fairway is far more lush than say 10 feet further into the rough and this is because they have not yet adjusted the sprinklers, and when this is corrected an errant shot just off the fairway will not mean an unplayable lie or a lost ball.  I think the course looks great and it plays great - a simply wonderful course.

Joe Perches

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 09:03:41 PM »
Ftp access instructions:
- Web Address:  ftp://ftp.nicklauscompanies.com
- User Name:  gbdomain\designftp
- Password:  ftpbear
- Open "Design" folder
- Open "Public" folder
- Open "Dismal" folder
- Inside Dismal folder, open Dismal_Grandopening folder and retrieve files

Here's all that in a simple link: FTP link - Click me

which actually expands to:

ftp://gbdomain\designftp:ftpbear@ftp.nicklauscompanies.com//Design/Public/Dismal/Dismal_GrandOpening/

Then, if you have a reasonably fast internet connection, you can just click the .jpg files.

SPDB

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 10:07:36 PM »
Tom -
I thought you were done with this "treehouse circle jerk"?

Doug Ralston

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 10:24:08 PM »
Looked at the site pix for Dismal River, Ballyneal, and Sand Hills. All look good in a certain way, and all are obviously meant to be real tests of golf.

But I swear I think they only look good visually by contrast to the ugly property they enhance. Anything green and verdant would look good on those sites!

That said, those are perfect courses for the sites. Just do not go to a heavy forest, and cut it down to imitate these courses. Using what is natural to the site just makes aesthetic sense IMHO.

Doug

Tim Pitner

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 10:34:24 PM »
Looked at the site pix for Dismal River, Ballyneal, and Sand Hills. All look good in a certain way, and all are obviously meant to be real tests of golf.

But I swear I think they only look good visually by contrast to the ugly property they enhance. Anything green and verdant would look good on those sites!

Now, now, Doug.  I'm know you're from lush Kentucky, but there's a beauty to the more arid West, as well.  I can only speak to Ballyneal but, to a golfer, the course looks inspiring--trust me.

Nick Church

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 10:37:09 PM »
Thank you very much for sharing with us.  

I hardly feel worthy.

Nick Church

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 10:41:29 PM »
which file number is the par 3 (aka "second favorite")?

I think I want that as my new wallpaper.

THanks,
Nick

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2006, 10:42:00 PM »
Tom:

Many thanks for the link.  With my new fangled wide screen High Def. HP lap top I downloaded all the DR photos and played them as a slide show.  It's takes a while to play and let's just say I'm still  ;D ;D ;D

While I've only experienced the sand hills of Kansas (AKA Hutchinson) DR is now on my short list of must visits.  

It looks unique and challenging and stunningly awesome at the same time.  

A couple of questions re: playability.  

What is the average fairway width?  

What is the average playing corridor width?  Fairway plus first cut of rough.

In spots, sometimes just paces off of greens it appeared there is severe fescue grasses and virtual lost ball stuff . . . is that an accurate observation and if so how often is that type of rough in play off the tee and around greensites?

Many thanks again and I'm curious to hear lots more about the design.

Jason
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 10:43:12 PM by Jason Blasberg »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 12:13:46 AM »
Thanks for the pictures.  I'll be real interested to hear more reports on DR in the coming days/weeks/months.  Both about the course itself and how it differs from its next-door neighbor.  

John Kirk

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2006, 01:01:11 AM »
Thanks for the pictures.  Boy they look nice.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 11:17:34 AM »
for those who've played it . . . how much of a factor is width at DR?  

From what I can tell it's a core element with much width off the tee providing mutliple angles of play for one's approach, with of course rewards and punishment based upon location.  

Will a big knocker that tends to be a bit erratic off the tee be looking in the junk all day or is there "room to play" out there?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2006, 11:45:51 AM »
Jason:

There is more than enough room to play DR -- credit Nicklaus and his team with the understanding of how savage the wind can blow at times. If you had 30-yard and less fairways the course would not be playable - save for the very low handicap types and even they would surrender a few Pro VI's when playing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back