News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

rboyce

Dunes Club Pics and Myrtle Note
« on: August 27, 2006, 12:55:00 PM »
Myrtle Note: I was surprised to hear that Bay Tree is closing its courses and is competing with Robbers Roost for tallest overgrown course on the strand. Also heard that Wild Wing is closing some or all its courses.

Question: What do owners of condos on closed golf courses do?
Answer: Take up tennis.

Dunes Club: Here are some quick pics of The Dunes Club. I found the course to be very enjoyable. One thing that i noticed upon reviewing the pics is that the course requires aerial approaches to get the ball near the hole more often than i realized. It does not, however, require many forced carries off the tee.

On another note, the staff at the club was very gracious.

Sorry for the lack of descriptions, but if anyone is interested I'll try to remember. If I wasn't zipping around in a foursome playing in around 3.5 hours i probably would have gotten some better angles.

Mike_Cirba

Re:Dunes Club Pics and Myrtle Note
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 04:21:15 PM »
rboyce,

Thanks for sharing some pretty cool pics.

Yes, I did hear that Wild Wing is closing most of their courses, although I hope that Jeff Brauer's Avocet course there remains intact because it's the best of the lot.

At the risk of Tommy flying east and thrashing me within an inch of my life, some of those bunkers almost look to be very George Thomasian, or at least similar to the Mackenzie bunkers that presently exist at ANGC and Pasatiempo.  
 ;) ;D

« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 04:25:23 PM by Mike Cirba »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 05:48:40 PM »
Mike:

I think the look of the bunkers is a bit similar to Riviera and Pasatiempo because of years of heavy play, which builds up the lips of the bunkers.  They have all gotten a lot deeper than they were originally.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 06:49:04 PM »
Tom,

In case I wasn't clear, it was meant to be a compliment, in all cases cited.

I love that evolved, tidal wave look, frankly.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 07:32:14 PM »
I made one visit two years ago and loved the course. I was told at the time that Rees Jones did a renovation in 2003 that included rebuilding the greens and bunkers. The land is much better than anything else I saw in MB.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 11:33:20 PM »
I had the opportunity and pleasure of playing the Dunes Club this last May, and considered it by far the best of all the Myrtle Beach courses we visited.  The routing, which provided interest and used the many contours well, the conditioning and the quality of the greens surfaces, the generally wide play corridors, the beauty of and care given to the trees, the variety of shots required, and the very gracious and comfortable staff, all added up to a great golf day there.
One of our players commented...."we're in the midst of greatness," and I couldn't agree more.

Thanx for the photos!

Tom
the pres

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back