News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Anything new in the West Range of Colorado ?
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 12:43:04 PM »
This is the Tripp Davis/Justin Leonard project referred to by Rick Phelps:

Shorefox Golf Club Granby, COLORADO
Located just outside of Winter Park, Colorado, this 18 hole course will be located on the Colorado River. Shorefox Development has hired TDA along with golf professional Justin Leonard to design the course. This is the first design endeavor for Justin and we are excited to be working with him and with various other contributors including stream and river consultants.

From www.tdagolfarchitecture.com
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 12:43:54 PM »
Matt,

In addition to what has been said, and expanding to the Front Range as well, here are some things to keep an eye on:

Cougar Canyon, a Nicklaus design, opens next month in Trinidad.

I don't think The Club at Flying Horse has broken ground yet.

Blackstone Golf Club southeast of Denver might be ready next spring--Jay Morrish

Ravenna Golf Club southwest of Denver, also by Morrish, might be ready by the spring as well.

Rees Jones's Bair Chase near Carbondale is reportedly resuming construction and might open next spring/summer.

Hideout Lake is the Nicklaus project near Montrose mentioned above. I believe they just broke ground.

There are a bunch of interesting looking proposed and in-planning projects as well.

Rick,

What's the status of the new Antler Creek course -- broken ground yet?
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Adam Clayman

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 12:54:34 PM »
Derek,

The trinidad course is news, thanx.

For those who attended the gca sanctioned 03' event. Will recall our featured architect's presentation on his plans for that piece of ground. Ran was so pleased to hear about the classical influences planned and expressed a real interest in seeing Baxter's effort. I wonder if Ran will make the trip to Trinidad, now? BTW, Trinidad is known as the sex change capitol of the U.S. Performing most of this type of surgery.

After Black Mesa's success, isn't it a wonder if the principle that replaced Baxter, didn't have one, or need one??   :o
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 12:58:52 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Rick Phelps

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 12:57:29 PM »
Derek,
The Club at Flying Horse is open for play.  I have also heard that Ravenna may have a "soft" opening in early October -- probably for a few weeks before shutting down for winter.

Interesting news about Bair Chase, I heard it was still a mess financially, but that's been a few months ago.  In any case, I don't think they were far enough along to have a chance at opening next year unless they sod the entire thing.

As for Antler Creek -- the latest word we hear from our Client is that they want to start golf construction next spring.  They may move some of the bulk earth this fall, but golf won't start until March or April.

RP

Rick Phelps

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2006, 01:01:27 PM »
Sorry Adam, we crossed posts.  To clarify, Antler Creek is adding another 18-holes.  We are having Kevin complete the project from our office to give them a different "look" on the new course.  It will be designed as a more family-friendly layout, leaning toward a park-style, with wider fairways and much shorter overall.

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2006, 01:06:15 PM »
Thanks for the correction, Rick. I was looking at information concerning a proposed second course at Flying Ranch.
@feedtheball

Matt_Ward

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2006, 04:57:22 PM »
Derek:

Do you know for sure if Cougar Canyon will open in September 2006 ?

Thanks for any detailed info you can provide.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2006, 05:29:06 PM »
Shorefox looks interesting if you're into fly fishing:

www.cfiglobal.com/articles/Orvis.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2006, 07:48:29 PM »
Matt,

A few months back when I spoke to the Director of Golf he told me they were opening to limited play in September. I have not checked in since then. It sounds like the holes are routed on a fairly western, rugged site with one nine dipping into an arroyo called the Gray Creek wash. It will be a daily fee.
@feedtheball

Matt_Ward

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2006, 08:01:06 PM »
Derek:

If you have the D of G's name and tel # I would appreciate if you can forward to me offline.

Thanks ...

astavrides

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2006, 09:54:55 PM »
I've heard few reviews of the Stadler/Davis design at Grand Elk in Granby, CO. There are apparently a lot of wetlands and such to cross, and visually the course did not wow my friends who played there. Doesn't qualify as "new," as it's been open for about four years, but I've not heard much comment on it.

I just played Grand Elk this past weekend. It was in great condition and played as firm and fast as anything I've played in Colorado.  Nice design -- perhaps as good as Tripp Davis' Tribute in Texas, without the replicas.  Proably in the top 15 of Colorado public courses.  Course was pretty empty on a Labor day weekend afternoon, so perhaps word has not gotten out about it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back