News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Belmont CC, Belmont, MA
« on: August 25, 2006, 12:52:04 PM »
Does anyone have any info on this course/club? Who is the architect?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Sean Leary

Re:Belmont CC, Belmont, MA
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 12:55:43 PM »
I went to high school down the street and used to sneak on for a few holes before we would inevitably get caught and kicked off. Quite hilly, fair amount of quirk, from what I remember. Fun golf course..I thought it was a Ross, but not sure..

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 01:56:39 PM »
According to the DRS listing...

Belmont was designed by Ross in 1918, with DR on site for the planning/construction.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 10:08:15 AM »
Ross was the  original architect.

However, a highway claimed a good portion of the golf course and I believe Cornish designed five holes.  Five holes that bear no resemblence to the other 13.

Recently the club embarked upon a modernization project.

I haven't played it since the renovation, but, always enjoyed the golf course.  The had great green sites and I believe the greens were German/Velvet bent.

Over time the fairways were narrowed to ridiculous widths and the rough allowed to grow beyond the membership's ability to handle it.

# 17 had the potential to be one of the great skyline greens in golf if they'd cut down some trees planted 30 or so years ago.

It's an enjoyable course to play.

I'm scheduled to play there later this fall and will have a chance to experience the changes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back