News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Stocker Cup
« on: August 25, 2006, 01:07:10 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm contemplating entering the qualifier for the Stocker Cup. (I may also apply for an invitation although I doubt my lack of recent competition will get me anywhere with that!) The tournament, for those who don't know, is held at Fazio's oft-discussed The Preserve Golf Club in Carmel, CA.

I'm interested in hearing from people familiar with the tournament. I'd like to hear your thoughts about the course, and about the tournament experience at the Stocker Cup both on and off the course. It would be a considerable commitment of time and money if I get in. I have until Sunday to enter the qualifier.

Feel free to respond here, or by private message if necessary.

Thanks,
Matt

Sean Leary

Re:Stocker Cup
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 11:57:26 AM »
Matt,

A buddy of mine has played in the tournament a number of times and says it is the best tournament he plays in all year. The course gets panned on here for its flattish greens, but from most accounts, it is a terrific golf course.

Clearly a first class place..

Tim Leahy

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 12:27:48 PM »
I have seen the course on Shell's World of Golf played by Fred Couples and Mark Calcavechia, and it looked fantastic. Very exclusive, I tried to get a look at it in person and could not get through the gate to the property which is several miles from the course. I think if you have the opportunity to play there, take it. And don't forget to give us a full report.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 06:19:09 PM »
The event appears to be a top notch event.

Sean,

I don't recall the flat greens argument, and anyone who would ever insinuate those greens are flat is just plain wrong.

I only caddied in the Stocker cup, so I have yet to play the course. The head pro there is a little on the forgetful side, so watchout.

Sandy Tatum and Mr. Stocker did the routing.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 06:36:13 PM »
Matt,

The Preserve is a very good test and from the back markers it takes a good player to win the Stocker Cup. Anyone declining an invitation to compete is nuts.

There are two ways to get up to the Clubhouse. The first and best way if you are coming from Carmel, Pebble, Monterey etc., is to take the Rancho San Carlos exit off the Carmel Valley Road and wind up nine miles to the course. The other way, if coming from Salinas or from 101, is to cross the Laureles Grade and travel west on G16 (Carmel Valley Road)to Robinson Canyon Road and wind upwards for six miles.

I live about five and half miles from the Preserve this way and the ride is quite spectacular.

Be careful in the rough...rattlers.

Bob

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 12:22:37 AM »
I played the course last week and thought it was just great. The atmosphere there is absolutely first class.  It's an excellent golf course, with lots of shot variety and no weak holes, and if you have the opportunity to play there, don't pass it up.  The par 4's on the back side there are excellent and very demanding.  Try not to kill yourself driving there on a very narrow, winding road.  

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 01:15:18 AM »
Architecturally, I'd say the course has some very good holes(2,6,7,10,16,17).  If the being out on #10 doesn't awe you looking up into the hills above Big Sur, then you're untouchable.

7 is one of the better short par 4 greens I've pitched into - not overdone.

Emmy

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 02:53:48 AM »
Matt:
Wish I could speak on the design and playability of the Preserve GC, but I'll leave that one for others more familiar with the course. However, I can address the second half of your inquiry.  

I assisted the Stocker Cup Committee with communication efforts in the late 90's, when the event was held at Spanish Bay, Poppy Hills and Pebble Beach. The tournament was professionally conducted and the players were treated extremely well. For the guys it was game face by day, but when it came to evening festivities the masks disappeared and a good time was had by all...there was plenty of  camaraderie pre-and-post the dinner hour.

While the venue has changed from my Stocker Cup days, the event has since gained additional notoriety and status, and I can only imagine the initial spirit remains well in place.  

Mike Benham

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 08:49:06 AM »
Matt -

The Stocker Cup is a first rate affair, a who's-who of the Am play in the event.  The tournament cost is well worth it but throw in travel and lodging fees and it can be considered expensive.

The question to ask you, is why do you want to play in it?  

Good luck -

Mike
"... and I liked the guy ..."

John Keenan

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 10:26:08 AM »
Matt,in all likelihood you have already seen this but in the unlikely you have not this site seems to gives a good overview of the Stocker Cup and the spirit that drives it

http://www.stockercup.com/index.htm
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 10:30:53 AM by John Keenan »
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back