News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Could the R&A and the USGA be merged?
« on: September 02, 2006, 11:55:29 PM »
Just asking? What would the benefits be and what would be the negatives?

John_Conley

Re:Could the R&A and the USGA be merged?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 12:10:19 AM »
no

ForkaB

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 02:38:20 AM »
It will happen.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 05:51:05 AM »
"Re:Could the R&A and the USGA be merged?"

In effect, the similar things the R&A and USGA are responsible for in their separate regions are far more unified now than they've ever been, mostly in the playing Rules of Golf and in the I&B Rules and Regs of golf.

Would they ever actually merge into one world-wide organization? I'd say never and for a few reasons---

First, they have their own national and organizational histories, tradtions and pride about various things that would prevent that.

Second, it's a liability thing to both of them---eg they fear they would be sued by manufacturers on the grounds of monopoly constituting restraint of trade.

Third, it's a money thing. The R&A would have to contribute way more than they'd be willing to or probably could afford in order to maintain the same level of authority they have now and have had.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 05:52:01 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 06:03:30 AM »
But the larger question in my mind is how long will two AMATEUR organizatons be able to control some of the central aspects of a world-wide sport? Obviously the most central of those aspects is the I&B Rules and regs followed by the playing Rules of Golf.

As far as I can tell this is unprecedented today in a world-wide sport and is bound to get harder in the future as the realities of professionalism, marketing and economics continue to crowd into golf.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 09:33:32 AM »
Two groups dedicated to governing a sport and in the process wielding great influence and monies? And someone thinks they will merge? Voluntarily?  ::)

ForkaB

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 10:09:34 AM »
Philip

Off the top  of my head I can think of:

Football (American)
Football (Soccer)
Basketball (at international level)
Rugby Union
Track and Field
Cricket
Hockey
Baseball
Yacht Racing
etc.

Of course there are those sports where governance is not centralized, such as:

Boxing
Golf..........

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 03:58:41 PM »
"Re:Could the R&A and the USGA be merged?"

Third, it's a money thing. The R&A would have to contribute way more than they'd be willing to or probably could afford in order to maintain the same level of authority they have now and have had.

Why more money?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 06:23:58 PM »
Joel,

Why on earth would 1750 members of a private club want to merge with the USGA?

I can imagine that the bodies could agree on items of mutual interest but if it came to a vote, I would be against.

Bob

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 12:20:00 AM »
Why on earth would 1750 members of a private club want to merge with the USGA?

For operating efficiency.  

Bob:

Good point regarding the 1750 members and of course it could never happen with the current mentality of the USGA since they would want to be in charge.  

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 12:45:45 AM »
Bob:

As of a couple of years ago the "R&A" is no longer one and the same entity with the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews with its 2400 world-wide members. The "R&A" today is a separate entity.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 10:34:14 AM »
Bob:

As of a couple of years ago the "R&A" is no longer one and the same entity with the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews with its 2400 world-wide members. The "R&A" today is a separate entity.

Tom,

Agreed, but I believe that the members do have a say in such matters.

Bob

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 01:26:03 PM »
"Tom,
Agreed, but I believe that the members do have a say in such matters.
Bob"

Bob:

That would be very easily determined but I would tend not to think so as that would probably preclude or even legally abrogate the very point of why the R&A was made into a separate entity from the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews.

Let's put it this way, legal lines of connection in cases of liabilty can be pretty tricky business. When I was over there in the summer of 2003 (I believe you were there at the same time) and hanging around the entire executive committee of the R&A for about a week the common question I was asked by a number of them was what I thought of and could tell them about 'that WOMAN'.  ;) And there is no question at all the R&A was and obviously still is quite concerned about potential manufacturer law suits over I&B issues.

The proof in the pudding will probably be if and when the R&A starts drawing its executive committee members from other golf clubs than just the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 01:27:31 PM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back