News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SPDB

Looking for Shiskine Pics
« on: August 23, 2006, 08:55:54 PM »
I heard a wonderful piece on BBC1 last week by a Scottish golf writer (name escaping me) about the 12 hole course at Shiskine. The narrator painted a picture which I would like to formalize a bit more - anybody have any pics they care to post? Or comments about the course?

Phil McDade

Re:Looking for Shiskine Pics
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 10:50:20 PM »
Shiskine is a wonderful course, true links, on the western course of the Isle of Arran, with true links turf and a quiet, serene air about it. It's unique, in that it has 12 true holes (not a doubled 9-hole course where two sets of tees are played to a common green). It's been described here and elsewhere as quirky, and that's probably fair. It's mostly par 3s and shortish par 4s, with one par 5 in the mix. Plays to par 42 at about 2,800 yards. The most famous hole is the par 3  3rd, the Crow's Nest, played from down low to a blind green atop a shelf. Hit, and hope, and the a climb up the hill to find the fall. The par 3 4th, the Shelf, is equally good, teeing from the shelf to a green sited right along the beach. I also recall one other hole well (11?) -- another blind shot to a green sitting down below in a hollow. Arran has several, what might be described as "holiday" courses, and Shiskine is generally regarded as the best of the bunch.

My interest in Shiskine stems almost entirely from a book called the "Complete Guide to the Golf Courses of Scotland," written by a Cincinnati dentist (I think he's a dentist) named Robert Kroeger, who had made annual pilgrammages to Scotland and finally wrote a book about it. Kroeger was a big fan of the unconventional, the out-of-the-way, the scenic vs. the championship course, and he was so smitten by Shiskine that he used the green of the 4th hole, and its dramatic backdrop, as the cover photo of the book.

My few pictures taken during a trip there hardly do the course justice, and unfortunately are not in a digital format. The course has a good history section, including reference to work there by Willie Park, at www.shiskinegolf.com.

A neat, little slice of Scottish golf.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 05:23:54 AM »

ForkaB

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 05:39:00 AM »
Shiskine is a very special and quirky golf course on Arran, which is clearly one of the Top 100 islands in the world, but whoever chose Shiskine as one of GBI's 100 best tracks must have tracks in his or her arms and/or be shockingly misinformed. ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 05:40:36 AM by Rich Goodale »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 09:05:04 AM »
Phil,

I too became enamored with Shiskine from reading Kroeger's book, which I don't recall ever seeing mentioned on GCA.  Neat book which I recall buying directly from him.

Also, am I correct in recalling that you were a regular poster on the UK-GolfGuide site?  It really whetted my appetite a few years ago to travel to Scotland.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

ForkaB

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 09:21:38 AM »
Kroeger also wrote a great book on the coures of Old Tom Morris.  When I wrote my recent essay on OTM I had to start from scratch after reading Kroeger's book, as he had already said everything there was to be said about the tack I had originally chosen to take....... :)

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 10:45:12 AM »
Bogey:

I've been found! Yes, it's true, I posted on the UK-Golf website, but kind of lost interest in it, as it seemed to evolve mainly into a trip-planning kind of site, and I find the topics here on GCA much more varied and interesting. I had some email exchanges with Kroeger back when (1999) I went over to Scotland, and he was incredibly accommodating and helpful. His book was the one I really relied on to find some out-of-the-way places to play (the club secretary at Cullen, another odd and quirky course, treated me to two days of feeling like absolute royalty when I played there; he said I was one of the few Americans to have visited the course other than Kroeger!).

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 11:54:54 AM »
I've played Shiskine three times, and it's one of the most beautiful courses I've ever played - the view from the top of the Crow's Nest at the 4th tee is worth the price of admission alone. Quirky as hell, though - I think over half of the 12 holes are blind or semi-blind. One of them, the eighth, is a short, downhill par 4 (yes, a blind downhill hole!) which I aced the second time I played it, so when I say that the course is great fun to play, you'll have to understand that I'm not entirely unbiased in my perceptions! :)

Cheers,
Darren

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back