News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Re:Instantly recognisable style
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2006, 02:35:33 PM »
sounds good Mark.

Interesting that it seems Flynn is responsible for what is now the 77 yard 7th.  Probably closer to 120 when he built it though.

ForkaB

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2006, 02:44:16 PM »
Mark

Research is good, but that is not the topic of this thread.

From your last post, I must infer that I was right--Wayne WAS peeking!

Mark_Fine

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2006, 02:51:23 PM »
Mike,
It was closer to 120 yards (said 115 yards on the plans).  We'll get up there togethere next spring.  

Mark_Fine

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2006, 02:56:19 PM »
Rich,
Research is not the topic of the thread but it is at the core of helping one recognize different styles.  For example, as distinctive as Raynor's style is, one would still not recognize it if they never studied Raynor or knew anything about his courses.

No one will be 100% correct but hopefully some will be much better than 50/50!

Gotta run.  Good chatting with you guys.
Mark

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2006, 05:55:05 PM »
Interesting, interesting.

In the extraordinarily hot summer of 76, my summer job as a student was working in the warehouse of a distribution company loading lorries with a variety of soft drinks, for delivery to shops.  One of the perks of the job was free drinks and in the heat I was consuming more than a gallon a day. After two weeks I realised that all carbonated drinks had more in common than they did to separate them and I had come to a point where I could not tell them apart - except for colour.

The point about maintenance of golden age courses is well made.  I will post this winter about Hainault Forrest GC which has 18 holes by Taylor/Hawtree and 18 by Braid.  70 years on all bunkers look the same.  I think this is also true of Sunnigdale; 18 by Park, 18 by Colt.   However there is a difference in the use and position of bunkers, but signs of individual style are now very subtle. To distinguish you have only part of the information that was originally available to you - so it would be a connoisseur indeed who could identify golden age today courses by bunkering alone.  

This question gets right to the heart of one of the major reasons why 'restoration' might be considered a desirable thing.  How much do we value the GCA as an artist?   To get a full appreciation of the artistry we need to be able to observe all the details.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back