News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Incline Village, NV - Lake Tahoe
« on: August 22, 2006, 01:40:06 PM »
I had the chance to play the Championship course at Incline Village over the weekend.  Incline is located on the North Shore of Lake Tahoe.  The course was built by Robert Trent Jones in 1964.   At the time it was a stern test, a real brute of a mountain course.   Over the years the course lost much of its appeal, mainly due to poor conditioning and a growth of new courses in the Lake Tahoe area.   Course such as Edgewood, Lahonitan, Coyote Moon, Old Greenwood as well as dozens of courses in Reno left Incline Village as a relic.

Three years ago the course management embarked on a project to bring Incline Village back.   They hired Sacramento based architect Kyle Phillips (Kingsbarn, The Grove, and Morgan Creek) to renovate and update the course.  Phillips, who spent 15 years working under RTJ son Bobby, knew Incline well.  Keeping the same routing, he rebuilt all of the greens and tees, adding length on a number of holes.  He did extensive work on the bunkers including adding many new strategic bunkers.  He also installed new irrigation and drainage.

I would recommend it to anyone playing in the Lake Tahoe area.

Other notes,
The course went to a bent grass and plays exceptionally fast.  This can be tricky for a mountain course.  The green speeds were in the 11 range.

The pars 3’s are generally all the same length although they play differently. #5 is downhill over water, #8 is uphill, and #15 is over a ravine.

The course is complete cart golf.

Green fees are in the $150 range.

A few photos,

the 11th tee shot

The biarittz green for the 11th

The par 3 15th, 201/183 and is all carry,

The 16th, signature hole with Lake Tahoe in the background.

Gib_Papazian

Re:Incline Village, NV - Lake Tahoe
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 03:56:11 PM »
Gentlemen,

I concur that somehow this golf course had been lost in the shuffle  and perhaps due to the short season, it has not yet gotten its due. Incline has been the destination most years for a  tournament (Lake Tahoe Inv.) I've attended since 1983.

To give a demonstration of my opinion of the golf course, the founders of the event originally brought it to Edgewood for the first few years. Lamenting the obnoxious attitude of the staff and escalating fees at Edgewood, I suggested Incline for the following year and they decided to go with it.

To a man (and lady), everyone liked Incline better than Edgewood and unanimously voted to remain there - where except for the remodel years - it has remained.

I think the main attraction is that Incline presents a continuous stream of risk/reward options, inviting players to use the contours of the putting surface to direct their ball. You have to pay attention though; the cant of the green can also take what looks like a good shot and dispatch it to 3-jack territory.

Tucked pins are almost always accessible if you just have enough creativity. Actually, every shot on the course gives you something to think about.

I noticed that there was no response to this thread, which seems odd given how many of us are in California. Kyle did a wonderful job of peppering the landing areas with well thought-out bunkers, but his main accomplishment was to leave the soul and spiritual Chi' of the layout intact.

It is normally a putrid cliche' to state that "If so and so architect were alive, he would have done it this way/approve blah blah blah."

Horseshit.

Most of the time, remodel work ends up looking like a bikini on Rosanne Barr. Here, I can state with unqualified certainty that  Jones Sr. would not only approve but admit the cumulative effect of all Kyle's little tweaks moved the golf course to the next level.

There is no point in going through chapter and verse on the specific modifications here, unless somebody else has played it in the past and is interested in a recounting of the improvements.

If so, respond if you are interested. I'm thinking I've played it - starting from the age of 16 - more than fifty times. I recommend Incline be included in any itinerary near Reno.

In fact, most of the courses in the Reno "valley" - I've not played Montreaux - are repetitous pap; the typical "high desert, rocky, "dozer mound poo poo" that numbs the brain.

The two Harbottles out in Carson (Sierra Nevada and Genoa Lakes) are worthy of a special trip, but a "7 club wind" is too often the losing ticket in the weather lottery out there. With rare exception, my experience is that nearly every summer morning at Incline is sparklingly beautiful.    

Incline is 45 minutes from the Reno airport (at most) because the Mt. Rose highway dumps out just down the street from the course.

Joel is correct to mention Coyote Moon and Lahontan - on which I based an article several years ago aimed at identifying what particular components I'd include in a club I organized and founded.

Both of these tracks are delicious, but there is something viscerally magical about Incline. There are some houses along parts of the course, but somehow it all flows together in a comfortable, natural way. If I ever was enough of an idiot to buy a house adjacent to a fairway somewhere, I think Incline would be it because there is an intimate, organic quality to the whole organization and routing of the course.

Someday, Kyle Phillips is going to be recognized as one of the top guys in the design racket; Morgan Creek outside of Sacramento knocked my socks off. I thought Kingsbarns would have done the trick, but in my view, he still remains grossly under-rated.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 01:07:43 PM by Gib Papazian »

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 04:20:41 PM »
I noticed that there was no response to this thread, which seems odd given how many of us are in California.

I have not played the remodeled version so I respectfully decline to comment ... ;)
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 04:31:20 PM »
Mike,

That certainly never stopped half the guys before . . . .

Scott Witter

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 04:51:16 PM »
Gib, from the first picture Joel posted the bunkers have somewhat of a Stanley Thompson feel to them, very dramatic and bold...likely quite different than RTJ Sr designed in 64.

Steve Pieracci

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 05:27:51 PM »
If so, respond if you are interested. I'm thinking I've played it - starting from the age of 16 - more than fifty times.

I have also played there often (20+ times) over the years.  I last played there ~ 1 month after the remodel.  I am not good on details but I think the greens have a bit more contour now than they used too.  It was certainly "prettied up" with much more grass, flowers, and a new club house to help justify the ~$150 they require.  I did play Edgewood last summer and I remember walking.  I don’t think that’s an option at Incline.   But, I prefer Incline, maybe because of the number of times I've been there and the proximity to my lodging.  I can't agree more than having to use your brain around this course.   Many risk reward opportunities with 3 of the 4 par 5's reachable, but adequately penalized for missed shots.  On the front nine, the par fours have creeks to negotiate both from the tee and second shots.  The 16th must be played from the upper tees for the pleasing view shown in Joel’s post.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back