News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

European Golf Quiz
« on: August 21, 2006, 02:09:11 PM »
European Golf Quiz

No prizes offered, just a bit of a diversion.  In fairness to others, perhaps you should not give away all the correct answers on GCA just yet.  Feel free to e-mail me if you think you've got them all right.  I'll post the answers towards the end of the week.

1.   What is the name of the only golf course in Wales designed by Jack Nicklaus?
2.   In which country is Tat Golf International?
3.   Who designed the Old Course at Vilamoura?
4.   The last Scot to win the Open Championship was Paul Lawrie.  At that time he was the touring professional attached to which Scottish club, and who designed its two 18-hole courses?
5.   Which club in the south of England, with a JH Taylor-designed course, features a steam railway locomotive at the top of its club badge?
6.   Nick Faldo won three consecutive Irish Opens.  One was at Mount Juliet. Where did he win the others?
7.   The Ladies’ British Open Amateur Stroke Play Championship was inaugurated in 1969.  Its first winner was Ann Irvin.  On which course did she win?
8.   Which long-serving greenkeeper-professional at the Notts Golf Club designed or amended a great many of that county’s golf courses?
9.   Which golf course now stands where the 1st and 29th Infantry Divisions first came ashore during the D-Day landings of June 1944?
10.   James Kay of Seaton Carew laid out which course that today boasts an outward nine with only two par 4s: 4,5,5,5,3,4,3,3,5?
11.   Which Irish course was laid out on land ‘only fit for snipe shooting’ by Captain HC Tippett?
12.   Which golf club boasts a Severiano Ballesteros Course (formerly known as Plan-Bramois) and a 9-hole Jack Nicklaus Course?
13.   What name is shared by a palace and gardens in Rome and a golf course near Como?
14.   Who designed all three of Slovenia’s golf courses?
15.   The first Spanish Open was held in 1912 at the Madrid Polo Club.  From 1916 to 1941 it was played (with one or two breaks) at another famous course in Madrid.  Which one?
16.   On which course was the longest hole-in-one in Britain achieved?
17.   The Glasgow Golf Club’s links course is known as Glasgow Gailes.  As what is its parkland course usually known?
18.   The Real Golf Club El Prat recently abandoned its two courses adjoining Barcelona Airport, moving to a new site twenty kilometres from the city.  Who designed the two abandoned courses?
19.   Which Swedish golf course architect worked with Colt on the construction of Wentworth West Course and later designed what many regard as Sweden’s finest course at Tylösand?
20.   Which is the oldest golf club on the European mainland?
21.   Which famous European golf club was founded in 1888 by WJR Watson and his friends SH Woodhall, J Proctor, WP Wild, L Evan Thomas and L Potter?  
22.   In May 1933 James Braid visited the site of a proposed golf course in Wales.  He described it:  It is a first class course, ideally situated. I consider that the condition is excellent and the course is nicely undulating without being too severe, the situation is superb for the playing of golf, and I can say definitely that there is a possibility of making of making it an absolutely first class golf course.  When the turf gets into condition it will lend itself to brassie lies, the holes are very interesting, and with so much material there to work on, the course provides remarkable facilities for variation by shortening or lengthening the holes as occasion demands, when necessary to give all championship requirements.  Which is this course?
23.   The inaugural Irish Ladies’ Close Amateur Championship was held in 1894, played over the course of the Royal Belfast Golf Club.  Subsequently Royal Belfast relocated and their former course became Ireland’s first municipal course.  By what name is that former course now known?
24.   Robert Lockhart and John Reid, who did much to foster early golf in the USA, were members of which Scottish golf club?
25.   Which professional golfer, clubmaker and course designer was born in Carnoustie in 1876, became Professional at Royal Mid-Surrey and Royal County Down, was interned in Germany during the First World War, and finished his career at the Biltmore Country Club?  He designed West Hill and West Byfleet amongst other  courses.
26.   Officially inaugurated by a long drive from Seve Ballesteros in 1988, which is Pete Dye’s only course design in Switzerland?
27.   What is the more usual name for the course of the Florence Golf Club, the oldest club in Tuscany?  It has hosted one Italian Open.
28.   Which Belgian club offers two 18-hole courses, one in ‘British style’ designed by Martin Hawtree, the other in ‘American style’ by Bill Amich?  There is also a 9-hole course designed by Bruno Steensels, and the finishing touches to the courses were apparently applied by Peter Alliss and Clive Clark.  
29.   Which club on a Mediterranean island was founded in 1888, and today features a hole with the name Hooker’s Delight?
30.   Which former Challenge Tour venue was designed by Iwao Uematsu? It dates from 1991.
31.   Which is the only Welsh course to have hosted final qualifying for the Open Championship?
32.   On which municipal course did Jack Nicklaus qualify for the 1962 Open Championship?
33.   There are three ladies’ golf clubs with their own courses in England, Formby, Sunningdale and which other?
34.   Which is the only royal golf club in Poland?
35.   Which Croatian golf course is a reconstruction of a 1922 original?
36.   When it opened in 1966 Penina revealed the potential of the Algarve for golf tourism.  Until then only three courses existed in Portugal.  Which were they?
37.   Which French club has courses named Les Pins and Les Dunes?
38.   Dungarvan Golf Club in Ireland abandoned its old 9-hole course and moved to another venue when it seemed that no further land would become available for expansion to 18 holes.  After they had left, a further 54 acres became available and an 18-hole layout was built.  What is the name of the new club?
39.   German architect Bernhard von Limburger designed one course in Northern Ireland in conjunction with Peter Alliss and David Thomas.  Which course?
40.   Which famous Colt courses were built to accompany an up-market housing development by WG Tarrant?
41.   It is said that Barnes Wallis designed the bouncing bomb in the clubhouse of which golf club?
42.   Which Alister MacKenzie course was sold for housing development, the club moving to the countryside and a 27-hole layout by Robert Trent Jones?
43.   There are two royal clubs in the Republic of Ireland, Royal Dublin and which other?
44.   The oldest course in Catalonia has hosted one Spanish Open.  What is its name?
45.   On which course would you find holes called Gushet Rig and Drum Sichty?
46.   The European Open has been held in Ireland at the K Club since 1995.  What was the last English course to host the event?
47.   Which surprisingly hilly East Anglian club is named after two giants?
48.   Which is the oldest golf club in Germany, begun by Rev. T Archibald White in 1893, although the club’s official foundation is given as 1901?
49.   Retief Goosen won the 1999 French Open at the Golf du Médoc club in the heart of claret country.  Who designed the courses there?
50.   Greece has only two mainland golf courses, Glyfada in Athens and which other, which has been out of action for a couple of years because of economic and environmental factors?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 02:12:10 PM by Mark_Rowlinson »

Tony_Muldoon

Re:European Golf Quiz
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 04:27:37 PM »
J.C. Mark, the number of exam passes wouldn't be shooting up if you set the questions.  Good stuff, I think I know maybe 5 first time round.  

« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 04:28:40 PM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

ForkaB

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 05:45:01 AM »
Mark

Isn't this a re-run from a few years ago?  Regardless, I can only get (possibly) 13/50.  That should be worth an "A" at A-level these days, no? ;)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 06:53:46 AM »
No, Rich, I think they are new questions.  

Philip Gawith

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 09:42:35 AM »
That is a very unfriendly test Mark. I would be proud to score 5. What are its sadistic origins? Surely not for the benefit of this forum alone?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 11:44:04 AM »
Philip,  The last one I set was too easy.  Nobody got them all right, but there were some pretty impressive efforts.  A little Googling will reveal most of the answers and the R&A Golfer's Handbook is pretty useful in this respect, too.  The idea came to me a couple of weeks ago when I was in Croatia.  I geninely didn't know if there were any golf courses there and did a little research on my return home.  Then, on Saturday, my wife and I travelled by train from Luxembourg to Brussels and I was reminded of just how varied are those Belgian courses I have been lucky enough to encounter.  I'm afraid I tend to get a bit blinkered on English and Welsh golf, and North Western golf in particular, so it was good to have a reason to renew my acquaintance (if only electronically) with a few more European courses and clubs.  

Jason McNamara

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 01:32:14 AM »
Philip,  The last one I set was too easy.  Nobody got them all right, but there were some pretty impressive efforts.  

Mark -

Don't know if you got my email, but I've got some questions for the upcoming winter break.  Let me know if you'd like to take a look.

Jason

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 04:45:59 AM »
Jason, Good to hear from you.  No, I haven't had an e-mail from you recently.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 02:38:11 AM »
I may have just sent you a tease or two.  Will send again.

Jason

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 05:32:40 AM »
As promised here are the answers:

European Golf Quiz Answers

1.   Machynys Peninsula
2.   Turkey
3.   Frank Pennink
4.   Newmachar, Dave Thomas
5.   Ogbourne Downs (the locomotive, presumably, a product of the Great Western Railway’s works at Swindon)
6.   Killarney
7.   Gosforth Park
8.   Tom Williamson
9.   Omaha Beach
10.   Bishop Auckland
11.   Tramore
12.   Crans sur Sierre (Switzerland)
13.   Villa d’Este
14.   Donald Harradine
15.   Puerta de Hierro
16.   Teign Valley (Devon) 496 yards
17.   Killermont
18.   Javier Arana and Dave Thomas
19.   Rafael Sundblom
20.   Pau, founded in 1856
21.   Antwerp Golf Club, later Royal Antwerp
22.   Neath
23.   Carnalea
24.   Dunfermline
25.   Cuthbert Butchart
26.   Domaine Impérial
27.   Circolo Golf Ugolino
28.   Golf Château de la Tournette
29.   Royal Malta
30.   Kikuoka Country Club, Luxembourg
31.   Conwy (2006)
32.   Troon Lochgreen
33.   Wirral Ladies
34.   Royal Krakow
35.   Golf Klub Pula
36.   Oporto (1890), Lisbon Sports Club (1922), Estoril (1945)
37.   Hardelot
38.   Gold Coast
39.   The Dufferin Course at Clandeboye
40.   The two courses at St George’s Hill (of which 9 holes have been lost)
41.   Burhill
42.   Moor Allerton
43.   Royal Tara
44.   Sant Cugat
45.   Gleneagles Queen’s Course
46.   East Sussex National
47.   Gog Magog
48.   Baden-Baden
49.   Bill Coore and Rod Whitman
50.   Porto Carras

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back