News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

The Reserve/Jeld-Wen
« on: August 26, 2006, 01:41:10 AM »
Just interested in some thoughts about this week's Champions Tour stop.

I've never played it. From TV, the word that comes to my mind is awkward. The bunkers and water and the orientation of everything just look weird. The 5-5-4-5 finish seems forced.

The water features all seem very man-made.

edit: just noticed on their website that the par-5 16th hole is actually the 18th from the other course on the property, in place of the normal 334 yard par-4.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 01:44:56 AM by Matt_Cohn »

John Keenan

Re:The Reserve/Jeld-Wen
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 10:37:03 AM »
Interesting point in that how often are courses reconfigured for tournament play?

Having 3 par 5's in a row seemed odd to me when I heard it mentioned.  Obviously the designer did not envision the course playing that way. Would seem that this is becoming a bit of a trend. I believe that the British Open course this year was also reconfigured fro the Open.

What drives this TV? Are they in effect trying to set up a dramatic finish  that the architect did not envision.  
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

JohnV

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 11:09:19 AM »
The 5-5-4-5 finish is forced.  It isn't even the real golf course.  The Fought course where 17 of the holes come from is a 5-4-4-5 finish, but the 16th hole is very tight and it was felt that spectators wouldn't be able to see much so they borrowed the par 5 18th hole from the Cupp course and used it as the 16th hole.  At the same time, they play one of the holes on the front 9 as a par 4 rather than a par 5 (#3)  partly because it shares a fairway with #6 and this way they didn't have as much interference from the players on the other hole.

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 12:02:32 PM »
zzzzzzzzz

The Oregonian reported this morning that a whopping 28 people were in the grandstands on 18 yesterday.  Contrast that against the 59,000 people that attended the LPGA event last weekend across town at Columbia-Edgewater.

Sorta explains why The Tradition is moving to Bend to be played at Crosswater starting next year.

Daryl David

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 12:53:32 PM »
That is amazing.  When they used to play Peter Jacobson's charity event there, the stands were packed.

peter_p

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 03:13:06 PM »
We are all on vacation. Two weeks ago we had the USGA Womens Am. Last week the LPGA. The organizers seem to operate on the Field of Dreams premise that just having it means that people wll come.
   The major local paper (The Oregonian) did have a eight page section early in the week but their Thursday edition did not list any tee times.
   The Saturday edition had 19 column inches (ci) on the move to Sunriver and 17 ci on Peter Jacobsen's withdrawal.
The article on all the "action" was 17 ci long and included 8 ci about Keith Fergus' 1996 killer bee attack and is totally worthless IMO. For a long time they had a good golf writer (Bob Robinson) who has retired. If you want to drum up interest you need a good scribe. Gib, we need help.

It makes sense that the players who putted well last week will putt well here. Last week's site was built at the same time with the identical green seed mix. I found that out because they are having the same problems with the greens.
   Thursday they were mentioning how soft the fairways were, limiting roll and making the 5s less reachable. Portland has had less than .05" of rain this month.
   I have not been out to the tournament due to extreme gimpiness and missing out on three reciprocal rounds so far.
Me, I'm going to watch the Little League World Series.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 06:09:42 PM by Peter Pittock »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 06:45:16 PM »
Peter - don't you love the reciropricity of the Portland clubs?  I sure miss it back here.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back